Topic

Hanchor Updates Marl & Marble Packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hanchor Updates Marl & Marble Packs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Trying to stick with ‘Mercan  made packs. ‘Nuff sed.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Eric, I thought you were an Osprey guy (which are made in Vietnam).

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“Anyone have a favorite starter guide for bending them?”

I actually didn’t get around to bending mine until I was about 100 days / 2500kms in. I just did it a few weeks ago. But no tips from me. I figured anything was better than straight, so I worked in a slight question mark shape and called it good.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

“Eric, I thought you were an Osprey guy (which are made in Vietnam).”

LOL! Furthermore, Hanchor is cottage and will make custom changes. Their craftsmanship is also some of the best I’ve seen.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Anyone have pics or a short review of the new Marls that have been delivered?  I’ve talked to Dan, Hanchor and some others via email and I’m about to pull the trigger on a L-torso, M-belt pack.  I wasn’t sure I could justify the $ without selling one or two of my other packs, but I went to an Adventure-16 swap meet on Saturday with a bunch of gear I wasn’t using (including 3 big ticket items:  HMG Windrider 2400, SO Divide 440, and WM sleeping bag.  I said if I sold any of those I would buy the Marl, but none of those sold :(

However, when I got home and counted the money from the many smaller items my son and I sold, I had exactly the amount that a new Marl would cost.  I think it’s fate.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

I’ll try to post some pictures up tonight.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

What do you want pictures of exactly?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Side pockets with water bottles, for side reference.  Maybe the hip belt size and front.  Top strap arrangement.  Inside if the darker fabric allows.  Any chance this has the grossgrain looks like the ULA packs to hang an internal stash pocket?

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I’m not so good with the newfangled interwebs, but I think this link should yield the photos you want:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cuzZi6IMP6wnC5Ty2

I didn’t want to reduce the resolution in order to post them inline.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Thanks BCap,

In some ways this seems like a much simpler design than some other packs like ULA or HMG, at least for side compression, front shoulder strap-straps and cords and such.  That appeals to me until I get my hands on something and find it’s missing a feature I use on other packs.

For example, I attach a Zimmerbuilt water bottle pocket to the front of one shoulder strap, and a couple of hydration tube holders to the other.  That seems like it might or might not work without some additional sewing on that front strap.  I believe I read that Ryan Smith added daisy chains here.  Do you think I would need to request the same or will it work on the standard?

It looks like there are loops inside that would handle a stash pocket like you get with ULA packs.  I noticed the SO pack has the same, so maybe it’s a semi-standard?

How do you pull the stays out to bend them?  They look sewn in at the top inside.  I thought I saw someone post about this earlier, but don’t recall the answer.  Is there a way?

Lastly, I’m thinking about asking for a Y-strap on the top.  I like that feature on the HMG packs – can’t say as I’ve needed it, but seems like it would hold anything better.  Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Bob

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

Just FYI, I’ve not used the pack yet so I can only take pictures and state the obvious.

I’d think that some thick thread, a needle, a thimble, some grosgrain, and a few minutes should make the shoulder straps customizable for most things, but I’ve not tried so it is just speculation from me.  you could probably even just use a beefy safety pin and grograin for most things.  I’ve not considered going down that path as I don’t hang stuff from my shoulder straps.  Perhaps someone else with experience will chime in.

The black rectangle just below the interior hang loops is backed by velcro.  You peel it up (hinges at the top edge) and can pull the stays out.

I conceptually like the Y-strap, though in practice I doubt it would be useful for the trips I plan to do with this pack.  My wife’s HMG has it, but she has never used it.  IIRC my SO Divide does have it, though I ended up just carrying my Bearvault inside that pack anyway.  I personally wouldn’t be willing to pay any extra to get a Y-strap unless I had a strong use case already in mind (which I don’t).

A few other tidbits of info.  There is a little port for a hydration tube (I forget which side).  And the bottom has two little toggles that serve to further reduce the pack volume (presumably to make it a summit pack).  I think waterproof zippers are terrible (just to be clear, the ones on the belt pockets are no worse than any others I’ve tried — I just hate all waterproof zippers).  Whether the design works for me is yet to be determined, but I will say that the construction really is impeccable as far as I can tell.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

At least the side pockets have waterproof zippers on waterproof fabric, so the whole thing is kinda waterproof. That makes a lot more sense than adding the hassle of waterproof zippers when the fabric itself isn’t waterproof, like HMGs side pockets.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Waterproof zippers are cool, until you try to use them!

I know some companies are shipping zipper care, presumably a lubricant or protector.  I don’t know if that’s compatible with the waterproof zippers, but I assume it would be.  I haven’t tried it.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

HMG puts a waterproof zipper on their MESH insert for the UltaMid.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

I’ve been going back and forth with Hanchor about some Marl details, and thought I would share those here for others that might be interested.

1. The current production batch is due to complete 6/4/18.  the next production batch will be ready by end of June.
    2. There are inner loops inside near the top pack, which are designed to fit their TALC pocket.

3.  They said they could add bar-tacks to the shoulder pads, suggesting 3 equal segments about 2.6″ apart.  I’m waiting to hear back as to whether this will delay the pack to the next production batch.

5.  They recommended a size L torso (I’m about 19-20″), and a M belt, which they stated is about 30″ of padding.  I wear a ~35″ pant, and I’m happy with a M ULA belt.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Does anyone have any updates on the Marl after hiking all summer with it?  My Arc Haul’s left stay has started a frustrating habit of slipping out and I am exploring the possibility of a new pack.

How is the new hipbelt buckle in real world use?

How does the real world volume compare to say the Arc Haul or ULA Circuit?

Has anyone had customizations done?

I wish they used X21 rather than VX21 to save some weight.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I haven’t taken it backpacking yet so my opinion is probably not super-helpful, but I’ve used it on quite a number of full-day hikes carrying 15-20 lbs (I’ve deliberately loaded it up) and it has been quite comfortable.  The funny aluminum buckle has been fine for me — I’m pretty ambivalent to it tbh — but if at some point I decide I am not a fan they shipped it with a standard plastic buckle as well.  Skurka recently reviewed the Marl, and I would agree that the rear mesh seems not very durable.  If I were to reorder I’d consider just getting a solid fabric there that won’t catch on things (maybe the fabric that HMG uses on the southwest pockets).  One thing I can say is that the pack is impeccably constructed.  I have a SO Divide for bigger/heavier loads and this for smaller/lighter loads and I’ve been pretty happy with both investments.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Hi Brad,

I used the Marl for a Sierra trek this summer, including 10lbs of food and BV500 bear canister.  I don’t have experience with the Zpacks packs, but have a ULA Circuit and Ohm.  It’s roomier than the Ohm, and I would say about like the Circuit – maybe a little narrower, but not notably.  The outside pocket is smaller in width, length and stretchyness, although my Circuit is one with the less stretchy mesh as well.  It feels sturdier, and I think the horizontal stay makes a difference.  The shoulder straps and hip belt are not as cushioned as the ULA packs, but they were still very comfortable.  Like my ULA Ohm, you sort of  forget it’s there after awhile (not literally – but you might know what I mean).  Side pockets are perfect size for 2 smart water bottles, or in my case one smartwater and some other stuff that comes and goes at stops depending on what I might need quick access to.  Usually I had a water filter, extra water bladders, trowel, etc.  I could stuff a 2-liter Evernew or Cnoc bottle filled in there if necessary, but we had plenty of water at our camps and along the way.  Hip belt pockets are a good size.

I never installed the aluminum buckle – too busy with other gear stuff, but it was nice to have it as a backup.  I had Hanchor sew 2x bar tacks on the shoulder straps to partition the webbing, and installed a Zimmerbuilt mesh pocket, which held a 20oz gatorade bottle.  That was the only customization.

I’m totally satisfied with the carrying capability, and love the xpac fabric – I am not familiar enough with the x vs vx differences to comment on that.  The daisy chains that bookend the mesh pocket are  really handy.  I never installed and didn’t need the included cord over the mesh pocket, which I think the Ohm or circuit has?  The top compression strap did the job nicely, but my bear canister fit inside.  The squared off bottom was nice to stand up the pack, and the toggles to compress it were nice when I took it for a side day-hike.

If you have more  questions, let me know.  I’m overdue posting a review, but when I think about it I realize I need more pics.  I’ll do that soon – promise!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thank you both for the help.  I also have a SO pack (Unaweep 4800) for packrafting or longer trips and heavier loads, but it’s overkill for a 25lb week long load.

How easy is it to get a water bottle out of the side pockets (say compared to the circuit).

Just FYI – the “V” means it has a 50d polyester interior fabric layer.

VX21 has a 210d nylon face fabric, the X ply reinforcemen, a .25 mil PET film and the 50d polyester liner layer.

VX21 weighs 6oz per square yard

X21 has the same 210d nylon face fabric and X reinforcement but has a .5 mil PET film without any liner layer.

X21 is 4.4oz per square yard. (The same weight as 210d Dyneema Grid)

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Another couple questions – how about the two track back panel. I have the Garnet for a bike commuting pack which I like a lot, but the two track system seems like it could lead to pressure points under enough weight. Any issues there? If I remember, the hipbelt is also removable?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

I carried a ’18 (blue) Marl on 5 trips this summer. 3 overnighters, 1 3-day, and a 4-day trip. All in the Sierra (Tahoe to Mammoth). I always used a BV450. I’m at about 13 lbs base weight with the bear can and normally carry about a liter of water. Lots of off-trail scrambling (up to class 3).

In short, the pack is very stable and comfortable and exactly what I want in a pack.

I’ve only used the new slim plastic buckle that comes on the pack even though they do include the metal one, since it works fine, no slipping, and that’s what I’m used to. I may try the metal one down the road.

Sorry, I can’t compare it to an Arc Haul nor Circuit. However, it easily fits my gear with room to spare.

No customization except for bending the stays. I’m not really sure I’d change anything. I actually like the rear mesh pocket, but for sure that will be the first thing to wear. I regularly use it to dry out socks and/or a wet shelter (silnylon DuoMid or bivy).

I can grab a bottle from side pockets, but returning it can be difficult.

The “two track” system is a non issue for me. I don’t feel anything. The hipbelt is removable. I actually purchased a hipbelt without pockets (the Flint’s hipbelt), but ended up liking the pockets so I never swapped it. Normally, I don’t really care for hipbelt pockets.

I’ll try to post some photos of it on my back to show how well it hugs my back, the fit of the shoulder straps, and the angle of the load lifters. Until then, this is all I’ve got:

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Re. the mesh pocket, mine still looks pretty good after 2300km (1500 miles) of rough trail last summer. I might have one small hole, but nothing serious. The side mesh pockets took much more of a beating and I’m glad Hanchor has switched to mesh here.

The mesh Hanchor uses for the front pocket is pretty normal. I think not quite a tough as HMG but tougher than what other companies are using (e.g. ULA Ohm). So you can criticize mesh pockets as being less durable, which is true, but I don’t think it’s anything specific to Hanchor.

The back panel of the two track suspension feels good to me. I’ve had > 40 lbs with it (8 – 11 day hauls) on several occasions.

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

I used it all summer. It’s great.

• I used the metal buckle and didn’t like it. The plastic one works great
    • Construction quality is superb
    • Side pockets are perfect size and shape. Can get bottles in and out. Has drawstring so you can make sure things stay in them
    • Side compression should have a buckle instead of just tensioner.
    • Volume is perfect for me. Fits a BV500 vertical, with my TTNotch on one side and then clothing stuffed in around it. I have a small down bag, and don’t bring a lot of extra kit. I could see it fitting extra gear, like a packraft, for a 4 day trip with a smaller bear cannister, but not with a BV500.
    • The dual track suspension works great.
    • The hip belt in S works great for my size 31 waist, but I wish the pockets were closer to center’
    • I managed to put some wear on the mesh, carrying hard items back there and scrambling. I hope there is a way to repair it after a few seasons, because the rest of the pack seems like it will last for 10 years.
    • with 30lbs or less, rides great. Not as comfy as Osprey Exos, but more stable, closer to back, way more durable.

My only issue is a confusion about sizing. I used the Osprey tool at REI to measure my torso at about 18.5″. They recommended the regular. It seems to me that I am pushing the limit of R. The shoulder straps seem as short as they could be. The load lifters have a buckle that slides to make sure they come off the top of your shoulders, and this is slid all the way to the front as far as it will go before it would hit the bartack. I don’t find the bag “comfortable” with more than 30lbs…but carrying more than 30lbs is never comfortable. I do wonder if the large size would allow me to get the wait off my shoulders a bit more. I emailed them and asked, they said it’s a 2″ difference between the bags. I kinda have a feeling the sweet spot for me is right in the middle, and am considering selling this one on gear swap and getting a custom size (with a couple modifications). It would be that, or an Atom pack custom sized.

Is there anyone on here who can tell, based on photos, if the bag is slightly small for me? If so tell me what photos to take…

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

asolthane,

Put some weight in the pack, put it on and take a side profile picture in front of a mirror. We can see what it looks like.

Ryan

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Asolthane, You have about the same torso size as my wife and she’s found over time that if the upper size guidance on a Regular pack frame ends at 19 in., she’s generally better off going to the Large frame. Definitely true with loaded Osprey packs she’s worn before. Based on what we heard from a Marl user and from Hanchor, she would go with a Large, and with a 21 in. torso I’d go with an XL. Though if you load your pack with a typical load and take a sideways photo, lots of folks here can give you helpful feedback. The key is to load it with at least a typical load and perhaps your heavier carry when you are carrying more consumables. Most people trying on packs in stores never load them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools