Topic

Hammock trip report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock trip report

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Well I tested everything out friday figured it out and took it with me on Saturdays overnight. Lows for the night were upper 20s. Gear used

Warbonnet Blackbird, Mamajamba tarp, EE Revelation 0* top quilt , jacks are better Greylock4 and a short Z Lite for the footbox

Hikers Midnight arrived for me around 830 after some sippin on the brandy. Hopped in the hammock got everything adjusted and it was lights out. At about 0130 i woke with a chill on the back side. Was easily fixed by adjusting the Z Lite pad. I will say the wind had changed direction that night as well and was ripping through my tarp. So happens to be i rigged the tarp airy cause it was such a nice night.. oh well live and learn.

I tried posting some pictures but they are too big and im no guru so thats it

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Glad to hear that your experience was positive and that you could so easily recover when you had a chill. Wind can quickly become your enemy!  I doubt you’ll go back to the ground now…

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

yeah im pretty sure im hooked on hangin unless weather man calles for a snotty forcast. Takes me too long to get everything set up properly. Im sure it will come over time.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

It will come pretty quickly – for me it happened when I switched from straps and buckles to a marlin spike hitch and whoopie slings.  My hammock now goes up in a minute or two.  Since I hike mostly in PA I have two different length tree straps:  8 feet and 10 feet.  Sometimes one of the trees I’d like to use is too big for my 8-footer.

On my last trip to Dolly Sods (in September) it was a gloriously clear night and I didn’t bother with my tarp at all.  I watched the moon arc across a sky filled with stars and was quite surprised to wake up at 3:00 am with rain in my face.  I hopped out of my hammock and quickly put up my tarp and went back to sleep.

Take your hammock on day hikes and put it up for 20 minutes when you take a break.  You’ll get lots of practice (and get good at spotting the “right” trees) and you might find yourself out walking more often just to get those 20 minutes in your hammock.

Big question…Pee bottle or did you get out of the hammock?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Pee bottle was not deployed lol. It was entirely way too easy just to hop out slip on the boots and go. Ill be going to test out different sleep setup shortly at a local camp ground so ill be sure to practice.

Heres a question are snake skins for the tarp worth the 20$ and extra ounces/bulk? Im one who stuffs everything into my pack

William Roddey
    BPL Member

@draickin

Locale: Southeast

With a cuben fiber tarp, no, the snake skins would make the tarp too bulky.  With a sil nylon/poly tarp, yes, the snake skins are worth it.  I keep all cordage attached and everything is convenient and easily deployable.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Doug sent me his photos to shrink and upload…

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Thanks Again Kevin!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Welcome to a higher status.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools