Topic

hammock repair question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hammock repair question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I just came into possession of a hammock of parachute ripstop that has about a 30″ crosswise (perpendicular to the length) rip in the fabric.  I’d like to try repairing it, probably just use it for lounging around in camp as opposed to sleeping in it (I weigh about 150).

I assume a flat felled seam will be the strongest seam, but will it be even stronger if I reinforce with one or two layers of grosgrain or a stronger fabric?  Or will that not provide any extra strength?  Is a heavier thread better, or is a lighter Gutterman better, since I can use a smaller needle and make smaller holes for the stitching?

So many questions…  Thanks for your input.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I’m not sure which seam will be the best IF you repair it.

However, my recommendation is to NOT repair it – that crosswise seam might be a weak spot and result in a catastrophic rrrrrrrrrrrrrip that dumps you on your butt or back.  I say make some stuff sacks and call it a day.

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

You could try this:  Fold it in half with the rip being the fold line then line up the two raw edges of the fabric.  If there is a ‘right’ side (the one you would lay on), have that on the inside after the hammock is folded.  Sew all the way across the rip and maybe 1-2 inches on either side (or all the way across for that matter) with a 1/4″ seam allowance.  Now fold the sewn edge over again at about 3/8″ from the edge and again sew all the way along that, or a little farther than you put the first seam.  Then fold one more time in the same direction so the raw edge of the rip is now completely hidden in the fold and sew that in place.  You could put a second row of stitches if you want.

This will shorten the hammock by a little bit, but that shouldn’t matter.  It should be pretty strong as long as the fabric near the seam is in OK shape.  Look at the thread that was used to make it in the first place and try to use thread that’s about that size.  Fit the needle to the thread size; a smaller needle won’t necessarily make it better.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Having been unceremoniously dumped on my butt by a ripped hammock (and was fortunately spared any real injury), I would use the scraps for something else. “Parachute” hammocks are so inexpensive that the possible danger isn’t worth the bother.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Cost vs. potential danger…good point,  darn it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also I’d wager you will end up with weird tension in the hammock.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like a candidate for a sleeping bag storage sack :)

Patios are hard. Dignity is fleeting :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Parachute pants…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

“Parachute pants…”

Speaking of dignity…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools