Topic

Hammock Gear Premium Burrow Quilt Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hammock Gear Premium Burrow Quilt Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Companion forum thread to: Hammock Gear Premium Burrow Quilt Review

The Hammock Gear Premium Burrow Quilt is a customizable backpacking down quilt with a functional pad attachment system and high-end materials.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Good review.

I’m still using my HG Burrow that I purchase in 2014. I cannot think of another piece of gear that is still in my gear closet from that era (other than my HG underquilt). I have been totally satisfied with this quilt. I could save a small amount of weight or gain a feature by switching but I really don’t have any impulse to move on from this quilt. Highly recommended!

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I have both the 20 and 40 prem burrow’s and like them a lot. I admittedly sleep cold so I sent mine back for 2oz overstuff on the 40* and 3oz on the 20*.

I think HG uses 20% overstuff as standard. I decided I hate down shifting so I like to overstuff until down shift is minimal. For an average or warm sleeper I think their standard fill is ok, but for a cold sleeper I recommend you overstuff to about 40% (1-3oz extra depending on warmth rating)

I personally find the faux draft collar to work well at preventing drafts. Not 100% like with a true huge WM draft collar, but it works well enough that I’ve never missed a true DC. Alternately I tried a Zpacks quilt and returned it because the vertical baffles run all the way to your head and I noticed significant drafts in the valleys of the baffles, or I had to cinch the neck down a lot to prevent that, which I didnt like.

Also I’ll add, my 40 is a zip footbox and 20 is sewn. I have never unzipped the 40 and would never order a zip quilt again. “Venting” the footbox just = cold feet to me.

Also I’ve been a difficult customer to HG on occasion (changing my mind, adding and subtracting items, asking for custom fabric) and their customer service is second to none. Im a loyal customer.

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

I’m with you Marcus – I thought a zippered footbox quilt was awesome until having actually used one for years now. I guess I thought I’d be using that sucker as an open blanket/wrap around at camp way more than I ever actually have.

Tom B
    BPL Member

@tmbebee1

Locale: Northern NY

Good review! Like Iago, I use quilts only in my hammocks. If I do use a tent, I take a sleeping bag. I originally owned a 30D Burrow (a long time ago before Premium/Economy existed) and while I found the temperature rating accurate, I found that drafts from the sides were a problem as the temperatures approached freezing. Same problem with the Jacks-R-Better Sierra Sniveller I inherited along the way.

As for the side draft problem, a tension system on the sides eliminated any issues I had. Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works developed the side tension system and I found it to work well. There is mention of a few vendors who have employed this now in their top quilts. Should I ever have to replace one of my MAMW top quilts, I probably would look to one of those vendors.

I did modify my old Jacks-R-Better Old Rag Mountain quilt to use the same tension and it has works great in the hammock in single digits.

I do own several Hammock Gear under quilts and for gathered end hammocks never had a reason to look further. They are a quality product, work great and temperature ratings are spot on IMO.

MJPDX
    BPL Member

@mj97

How important is differential construction to the performance of these quilts? This seems to be a differentiating factor (pun sort of intended) between the top tier brands and the mainstream manufacturers.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve never been cold in my HG Burrow 20° quilt with the older horizontal baffles. I don’t think quilts that lack a differential cut are bad but they are slightly less optimized. I’m guessing differential cuts are more important in colder weather quilts with thicker baffles.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

I have found differential cuts really important in underquilts, but no much in top quilts. My experience with HG underquilts is that their differential cut is well designed.

Others experiences may vary

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah. That makes sense to me. My HG UQ stays really nicely snug under the hammock with no weird gaps. The shaping fits well for me. I’m not sure how much of that is due to the differential cuts versus the overall patterning (or if you can really separate the two). Irregardless, the result is the UQ stays right there under me in a way it would not if it was a simpler flat shape.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

As I mentioned in the review, I took the quilt well below its rated temperature on several occasions and I had no concerns for cold spots. I think the Burrow is a great top quilt.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

@Matthew, I think the need for a dialed differential cut on underquilts stems from the amount of pressure under one’s derriere. I experienced cold butt syndrome on another underquilt from a different manufacturer, and after checking things and fiddling with the suspension, I came to the conclusion that the issue was a faulty differential cut. I could reach with my arm over the side of the hammock and feel that the insulation was compressed under my buttocks. I observed the same issue if I had my son or wife lay in the hammock. I have never experienced this with either of my two Hammock Gear underquilts.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

As Iago said, the differential cut is designed to keep the down from being compressed. For example, I do not believe Enlightened Equipment uses a differential cut. I watched a video of a review of one of their quilts and when the reviewer was in the quilt the entire top of the quilt seemed to be stretched tight making it look like it was a synthetic quilt, which would be compressing the down to some extent and not allowing it to loft to its intended maximum. How much does it matter in practice? I don’t know.

Shane B
    BPL Member

@bigjacs

It’s my understanding that only the 850 down is treated whereas the 950 down is untreated as per their website and tech support.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Hi Shane,

You are right, the 950 fill is untreated and the 850 is treated. Thank you for bringing it up. Good catch! I am not sure how I missed that in my notes… Totally my mistake. I really think this quilt is a fantastic option. Mine keeps performing really well with the caveats included in the review.

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

Looks like HG upgraded their premium offerings to 900fp and 950fp. They are using treated 900FP until they run out, then they will most likely switch to untreated. 950fp is already untreated.

Iago – nice review!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools