Topic

Guy Line Tensioner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Guy Line Tensioner

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

For years I’ve used knots for tensioning guy lines. I’ve decided to try a mechanical tensioner.

Which one do you prefer and why:

1) The triangular line loc, or

2) The Lineloc 3, or

3) The metal, 2-hole adjusters from Liberty Mtn?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Not 1 because I’ve had them slip and because they eat up part of your usable line length.

2 is good. To quote another recent thread, they just work. I like that you can adjust them all the way to the end of the line (very short) without any trouble.

Never tried 3.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

My vote is for Lineloc 3 as well.  Quick, simple, reliable and utilizes the entire guy length.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I like Lineloc 3’s as well. The only issue with them is you have to use thicker cord with them. I wish they made a smaller one for thinner cord, but then the plastic might not be strong enough.

I like the triangular line loc’s too for certain uses. They are fine for long guylines (like midpoint guylines on a mid) where your line is going to be long anyways, but they do require more cord. The nice thing about them is they are easy to add to any guypoint, whereas the lineloc 3’s are best if sewn on.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

For a real art deco approach at a scant weight penalty, you might consider Lawson’s aluminum bar tensioners. They really work well, they are indestructible, and they look cool. I also put small split rings on some and use them for novel zipper pulls, which are especially handy in the winter with gloves on. I bought extra last year and I gave them out at REI as random surprise Christmas gifts to strangers.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I like Lineloc 3’s as well. The only issue with them is you have to use thicker cord with them.

Agree!

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I use the Lawson’s tensioners on my Solomid and they work great.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Variety. Line Locs on my Solomid. Lawson tensioners on my hammock tarp. The triangular plastic ones on the Hilleberg. Or none at all at times. Paired with the right line, they all work.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I also like the normal lineloc3 despite having to use thicker cord.

Has anyone tried these smaller versions of the linelocs? Called tensionlock lite at ripstopbytheroll :https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/plastic-adjusters/products/tensionlock-lite. I think osprey uses something similar for small cord on their Levity line for side compression.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Eric

The RBTR tensionloc lite look exactly like those sold by Dutchware gear.

Despite advertised for thinner line, I found that  2mm line  slips easily under tension.  3 mm may fare better, but then you may as well use lineloc3s, which are made of tougher plastic.

See short vid here demonstrating.  Look at the nail to get an idea of the weights put on the lines to test.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D_sfTuny1kw

For thin line, this sliding bar type adjuster grips very well, but is marginally heavier than a lineloc3. It can be attached with tape or line.

http://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/guyline-tensioners/

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

@mole thanks for the video and the heads up re the 3mm braided line. It looks really good, weighs half as much as the MLD yellow 2.7mm, and is dirt cheap in a 200 metre reel. Is there any stretch?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

John

no stretch that I noticed.

It isn’t as durable or high a breaking strain as 3mm Dyneema/spectra core line, but that stuff is overkill in my opinion.  It’s durable enough – I’ve used it on my Tarptent scarp pitchloks for years, and my Trailstar mid points.  Friends have it on their pyramid tents too.  Because it’s braided, it’s possible to splice it if that is your thing. One friend has spliced locked brummel loops on all his Luxe hexpeak tie outs (12!) He’s a Scout Leader… :)

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I am a tad embarrassed to say that I am not familiar with the knot used to tie the tent loop to the Lineloc3.  I understand how the cord is looped through the LineLok3. How is a loop achieved at the tent loop?

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/sleep-systems/47840-stake-loop-tension-extension-2.html

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Don’t know what that knot is, but any non-sliding loop works — I’d suggest a bowline.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Duplicate post.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

The lineloc3 is fixed to the shelter by tape or loop of line. The guyline just threads through it in the same way that webbing goes through a ladderlock buckle on a rucksack shoulder strap.

The other end of the line needs a fixed loop if appropriate size to put the peg/stake through.  If permanently fixed it could be a simple overhand loop, if temporarily, a bowline. Or choose your own loop.

Full photo instructions here:

https://www.yamamountaingear.com/tie-outs/

Adam T
    Spectator

@a-tessier

Have you considered the fleaz or tarpworms from Dutchware Gear?

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

They would work beautifully but too expensive a solution. There are 18 tent loops on the base and another 6 (?) higher up on the tent. I’d need to get in touch with their loan officer!

The LineLok3s arrived yesterday and the Lawson Glowire will arrive today. I’ll get to work this weekend rigging the tent.

By the way, Lawson was a delight to work with and I’d highly recommend him.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I tried a number of different options and here’s what I ended up doing. I took the 3mm Glowire and made a Lark’s Head knot on the LineLok3 which I believe is in Step 2 of the Yamamountaingear. That left me with two lines which I tied using a Fisherman’s knot. Then that got tied to the tent loop using another Lark’s head. Here is what it looks like. I used 12″ of Glowire.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools