Topic

Green Papaya

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Since I am working on a low carb diet, I have been experimenting with food.  One of the things that I tried recently was to spiralize, dry and re-hydrate green papayas.  It turns out that it works very well.  The intriguing thing to me is that when re-hydrated, the green papaya still has a great crunch to it, almost identical in fact.

Now green papayas do not have a lot of calories but they are low in carbs as well.  What I like about them is that one of the things that I crave on the trail is a nice crisp salad every now and then.  I am going to be experimenting with making a backpacking version of a Thai green papaya salad (Som Tum).

Also, when you boil them for a while, they make a pretty good substitute for rice noodles and pasta.

Peeled and seeds removed

Spiralized

About 700 gram wet weight and 80 gram dry weight

Cold water re-hydration in about 2 hours.  It would be much faster with hot water

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Whoa/ That’s interesting.

I’ve only eaten them raw in Thai food. I’d be curious to try them cooked. Thanks for the suggestion.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Jon, your taking papaya salad camping? Can I come? ;-)

it sparked me to think about Wakame, the seaweed salad. I’ve never purchased it but doesn’t it come dehydrated and you just add water?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Later this week, I will make a Fetticini Alfredo using green papaya noodles.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Mmmmmmm YUM!

To add a bunch of calories to my Japanese Ramen when camping I make a simple Peanut Sauce.

Peanut butter- coconut oil- toasted sesame oil- olive oil- Thai chili paste- sea salt- scallions

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Chicken-Green Papaya-Fettucine

Green papaya was dehydrated raw so I cold soaked it first then boiled it to al dente.  Knorr makes great fettucine sauces.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Regarding Wakame.  Are you serious?  It comes DRY????!  I LOVE that stuff!  Please try this and let me know muhahahaha.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

I’m going to order some today!  Insert maniacal laughter here…https://www.vitacost.com/eden-foods-wakame-sea-vegetable-2-1-oz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools