Topic

Gravity filter tornado tube vs. hose question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gravity filter tornado tube vs. hose question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Quick question: Is there any real difference between running a tornado tube coupling between the Sawyer/ reservoir and the bottle or a 4 ft hose connected to the Sawyer?

I am currently using a 4.5 ft length of hose to connect my Evernew and Sawyer, and I was under the impression that this length was required to create enough gravitational pull for filtration. If a tornado tube does the same trick ( as it seems to), do I even need to use a length of hose anymore?

Opinions/ experiences much appreciated.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

i don’t see how the tornado tube would help reduce the need for height.  What do I know; I just googled tornado tube.  I did make a gravity setup using a Sawyer filter and I think I read 4′ was necessary, but as long as the filter isn’t degraded I think it could be shorter.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The larger the differential height, the greater the pressure difference which means that the flowrate will be higher.  Basic physics.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I see people using no hose at all and just connect directly with the tornado tube. It seems they get the same filtration rate as with a 4 + ft hose.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools