Topic

Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim with Sidewinder cone stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim with Sidewinder cone stove

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just returned yesterday from a North Rim-to-South Rim backpack using my Trail Designs Sidewinder ti stove. I finally have decided to always use two ESBIT tabs (vertically) for cooking dinner B/C its faster and the leftover fuel is enough for breakfast unless I am frying an omelette of pancakes on my “one egg” skillet.

But hauling my butt uphill for two days made me grateful for that light stove and its companion 3 cup pot and the light fuel.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Eric,

I did some experiments a while ago with Esbit.  Assuming that you are using a Gram Cracker, you can get faster burn times by burning the Esbit on end and rotated 90 degrees relative to the original placement.   You can get even faster boil times by splitting the tablet in half.   My 2 cents.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools