Topic

Grand Canyon in November

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Grand Canyon in November

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I’m going to be doing the Gradview/Newhance Loop over Thanksgiving weekend this year, and this is going to be my first time below the rim in the big ditch.  I’ve done some research into water filtration, average temperatures, water sources, and other various things.  I still haven’t been able to find a ton of info on what that south rim trails are like around this time of year, so I thought I’d post here! Does anyone have any input or advice on this loop around this time of year? Temps? Water clarity?  Thanks in advance.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I would call the Backcountry Information Center 928-638-7888. The weather can vary greatly and will generally get warmer as you descend. The Grand View trail is pretty steep. You will probably want to bring or rent some micro spikes.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>Here’s a more direct number to the Backcountry office 928-638-7875.</p>

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Awesome I’ll give them a call and see if I can get some info from them.  Have you experienced significant (5+ inches) snow around this time of year?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Best to plan for below freezing temps on the rim and the Tonto plateau at night, ice on the upper trail in shadowed areas (microspikes) and T-shirt and shorts down on the river if it’s a nice sunny day. When we camped at Horseshoe Mesa and hiked to Hance Rapids and back in November those are the conditions we had. We only hiked the West part of the loop you’re doing (Grandview), but Page Spring was nice, clear water.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Thanks Lester, that’s great Beta for what we’re going to be doing.  Was the Colorado pretty clear when you went? I don’t have a ton of experience with filtering muddy water (I mainly backpack in the alpine), and I don’t want to clog my filter.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The Colorado was “clear” in that it was more green than brown, but still a bit of sediment I’d bet. We did not filter from the river. Maybe carry some iodine or Aquamira for river water if you plan to drink it, and save your filter for the springs.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Unless it dumps a foot of snow in the next three weeks, the trails will be fine.

Hance Creek is reliable and typically clear.

The Colorado should be clear.  But I always take Chlor-Floc (available from amazon and others) and two 1-gallon slider zips just in case.

And if I were doing this loop I’d start at New Hance and end at Grandview.  You’ll need half the water going down New Hance versus going up. Once you’re at Hance Creek (below Grandview) you’re half way to the top.

Temperatures

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

I like that water system a lot! I’ll definitely be bringing a zip loc for that purpose.  Unfortunately, I’m not the one planning the trip, so our first night’s permit is at Horseshoe Mesa and we’ll be doing the trip clockwise.  I would agree it makes way more sense to go down Hance creek, but I guess we’ll just have to tote a ton of water up instead.  Thanks for all the help Lester!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

You have to get your permit at the Back Country Office.  Ask them if you can make a change. You’ve got nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Ah sounds good, I’ll talk with my group and see if I can change the permit.  After looking over the topo your beta sounds much more enjoyable… thanks Greg!

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Are Hance Creek & Page Spring reliable water in Nov?

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

That’s a good question Peter.  I found this on the NPS website: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/grandview_trail.pdf

I’ve read mixed things surrounding this, mainly about Page spring.  I’ll be camping on Horseshoe Mesa the first night of my trip, so it would be nice to know for sure.

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

I was on the Tonto and down to the river near Horseshoe Mesa last weekend.

Hance Creek and Page both had clear water and good quantity. Water in the CO River was reasonably clear too. There was also some water moving in Cottonwood  Creek.

Temps were probably in the 40s at night on the Tonto. Got down in the low 20s up on the rim the night before we went in.

No snow on the trail. Weather looks like it is still clear, so it should remain that way unless something changes.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Thanks Lee! That’s really helpful for me and the group I’ll be with.  We’re looking forward to some nice desert weather, glad to hear the water is running clear and water sources are plentiful.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you have micro spikes or four points, bring them along in case they get a dump of snow that thaws and refreezes on the few mile or two of trail below the rim.  Otherwise, leave them in your car.

If you don’t already have them, I wouldn’t bother getting them, in part because the grocery store at the South Rim actually has a fair selection of gear at reasonable prices, including several options for micro spikes and four points. (They also try to stock a whole range of stove fuel, but if you’re flying in, I’d suggest getting your fuel at REI or Walmart in Las Vegas to be sure).  As soon as you arrive, check out the trail conditions at the top of the South Kaibab or Bring Angel trails and assess if you want anything more than your trail runners.  Since you’d have to carry for the reminder of the trip, I’ve always gone without.  Except those times I screwed some 1/2″ self-tapping screws into my soles and removed them with a little socket wrench (like a drum key) once below the icy stretch.

Also, consider gaiters if there’s 6-12″ of powder near the rim.  I’ve started some hikes off the main corridors with wet socks because the snow wasn’t beat down yet by other hikers.

Are you camping on the South Rim beforehand?  You’ll need a warmer sleep set-up for that than in the Canyon.  If you’re hoteling it before or after, I like Red Feather Lodge in Tusayan 10 miles south of the Rim.  Not as convenient as being right on the Rim, but a lot cheaper.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

David,

Thanks for the info! I’m going to be bringing 2 sets of Microspikes just in case, but it looks like the weather is supposed to be pretty clear throughout the week.  We are not going to be camping on the south rim the first night, instead we got a cheap place in Flagstaff for the night so we can drive up in the morning.

Also, what’s your experience “going #2” in the canyon? Are there adequate places to bury, then pack out the paper?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Flagstaff is not only a lot closer than Vegas or Phoenix, but it is a lot higher in elevation which does help a bit in acclimatizing if you live at a low elevation.

Never pass an outhouse without trying to use it.

Most of my time off the main corridor has been rafting along the River which requires the use of a “Groover” – an ammo can with sealing lid to remove all human waste and TP from the park.  Above the river, there are usually decent places to “do it”, although privacy can be tricky.  I try to dig my cat hole not in a low-lying spot that could erode from surface run-off.  Bring a potty towel or a serious tent stake because you’re not going to find a stick to dig that hole with.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Good to know — I guess we’ll just plan on packing out our toilet paper and burying waste in a cat-hole.  Luckily I spend quite a bit of time in CO above 12K, so I won’t need to acclimate before dropping into the canyon.

Thanks David!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

“Are there adequate places to bury, then pack out the paper?”

New Hance at the river, and Hance Creek on the Tonto have very limited areas for taking a dump.  Plus they see lots of use. Choose carefully and then mark your spot with an ‘X’ out of two small twigs so the next person doesn’t get a surprise.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools