Topic

GPS Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

I’ve used a Delorme Earthmate PN-60 for a number of years but since Garmin bought them out the level of support just isn’t there anymore. Any recommendations for any of the currently available makes/models would be very much appreciated.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you hike with a smart phone, you can save $150-$200 and 5-6 ounces by using the Gaia mapping / GPS app.  Bigger screen.  Smarter program.  Easier updates.

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

I used to own and use a GPS.  However, with the smartphone apps, there’s no reason to carry a GPS.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8+ phone and the Backcountry Navigatory app.  Better than any standalone GPS

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Agreed.  I use a Galaxy with Gaia and couldn’t be much happier.  Plus you get any other finctions of your phone you might like.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

iPhone + Gaia has been a wonderful combo for me.

Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

Mmm. Thanks all…..it’s unanimous too.  Deal is that I’m an old guy that still uses a flip phone…..my wife has been nagging me for a few years to give it up and get a smart phone….I guess it’s time. The learning curve will be steep and if I get lost I’ll be cursing everyone of you!  I’ll just have to practice on trails in areas I’m familiar with.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gaia on a phone is ~37x easier to use than my last Garmin GPS. YMMV.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“Deal is that I’m an old guy that still uses a flip phone”

Same here, just too lazy

smart phone replaces a GPS, camera, MP3 player, and phone

the buttons on my GPS are wearing off.  I will soon be unable to push some of them.  The screen got so scratched but I got some polish stuff that fixed that.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

But how does battery life compare?  My guess is smartphones hog the power, whereas a well designed GPS unit will not.  But I’m only guessing, I have no experience carrying either backpacking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Elliott, read Link’s linked article.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Adventure Allen’s article is excellent but it’s starting to become dated.

Many of the toggles to turn off apps features not needed or wanted to save battery, such as automatic refresh, and others have been made easier with software updates.

Smartphones allow you to receive GPS in airplane mode which saves a tremendous amount of battery.

The camera is a battery hog and use a point & shoot for that reason.

Phone apps not being used while hiking-such as Mapquest and others, are put in iCloud hibernation or temporarily deleted from the phone altogether during hikes.

Put mail and other apps into manual “fetch” mode.

Use “battery saver mode” always, and manually put the phone back into “battery saver mode” after charging above 80%.

Seth D
    BPL Member

@sethd513

Does Gaia compare to all trails pro? I’ve been using all trails pro for a few years but since they updated their map editor the lack of trails and the poor editing features for 30$ a year is kind of a bummer.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Alan Dixon periodically updates his article, he last updated in May and usually updates as time permits and as technology rapidly changes he does his best, but still a great article.

John S
    Spectator

@clubmanager

I will be hiking in areas with no cell service with my son; need a way to contact Mama at least daily or else she’ll call out the National Guard. Can anyone speak to the GPS units that allow phone pairing and texting?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Inreach has that capability.

end drift.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I have an iPhone with Gaia and have found it to be a complete battery hog- phone is dead in hours (I do turn off cell and wifi). My GPS can last for days. I use a PN60 as well as my primary GPS.

steven w
    Spectator

@crossup

Wow to the battery hogging…I did 7 days on the AT using a Galaxy 4 w/5400mah(double size) battery, called home everyday but one, used Guthooks at will averaging probably 6 times/day. It got one hour of charge time at the pavillion near the AT Museum, which was about 30%.

Got home with 30% battery, both backup 2600mah batteries untouched and my Garmin 650 also unused. I carried the Garmin in case of bushwacking adventures, thinking it would give me that much more phone time, which as it turned out was no issue. I’ll probably still carry it as a backup as its only around 4oz and can be used all day on a charge.

It should go without saying that you should keep your phone off except for occasional “fixes” when following any established/marked trail. The exception would be when at crossings with other trails or areas where there is some questionable navigation. At one point I apparently turned on to a previous routing of the AT(still white blazed) and at my next check found I was on the wrong side of the ridge l line. A 1.5mile backtrack and Guthook check got me making the correct turn to stay on course.

John S
    Spectator

@clubmanager

OK, maybe I should start another thread since this has become merely re: GPS. I am looking for a method by which my Wife will feel better about me and her little boy (13 years old, 5’10” and a size 13 shoe mind you) being out in the ‘wild’. There are lots of trails around that have spotty, if any, cell service and I am considering a GPS unit that enables texting.

I’ve also seen some that allow for real time tracking; depending on how that works, it may work as well for our purposes.

Any recommendations or experiences? The reviews on Amazon aren’t encouraging all in all.

John S
    Spectator

@clubmanager

On 2nd thought, I likely need something I can communicate with. If the boy sprained his ankle, there’s no way I could haul him 100 yards. I’m strong but…..hes’ a monster.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

John S: The Garmin inReach Explorer+ does what you want to do. It enables live tracking. It allows you to send text messages. It doesn’t need to be ‘connected’ to a phone (but is significantly easier to use, especially for texting, if you do). You can hit the SOS button if you need assistance (and can even communicate with the rescuers to give them specific info on what the issue is).

I used its predecessor, and now use it, and have never had any issues with it/has always worked very well.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I have an iPhone with Gaia and have found it to be a complete battery hog- phone is dead in hours (I do turn off cell and wifi)”

I can only assume that you’re leaving Gaia ‘open’ instead of only launching it when you need to use it. Like others, I also use Gaia on my iPhone, only launching it when I need it, and then closing it, and my phone battery can last for a few days like that. I even leave the phone on all day, using it to take a few pics as well, only shutting it off at night.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Inreach communicates – you can send and receive text messages from most anywhere, maybe won’t work when you’re in a canyon or something

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

$400 + $25 per month (several other choices possible)

John S
    Spectator

@clubmanager

Awesome! Thanks Jerry.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

actually, you should thank Doug, I am just sharing my experience observing Doug’s although I’ve thought about getting one : )

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools