Topic

gotta love this story about winter survival

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports gotta love this story about winter survival

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

<div dir=”ltr”>
    <div><span style=”font-size: medium;”>We saw this story in the Sierra Sun new outlet.  Pretty interesting story about how Wendell Murdock stayed alive in the wilderness overnight during a blizzard.  It also got our attention that Mr. Murdock is 80 years old and has a nine year-old son.  And his preparation for his hike included a few clothing items we would have done differently.  And his use of a brand new GPS app on his phone for navigation apparently didn’t help him much…</span></div>
    <div><span style=”font-size: medium;”> </span></div>
    <div><span style=”color: #0066cc; font-size: medium;”>https://www.sierrasun.com/news/local/this-could-be-it-local-man-recalls-surviving-harrowing-night-lost-near-lake-tahoe/</span></div>
    </div>

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

And he had dog buscuits to eat while pacing back and forth in the snow. He’s one of the “No Cook” enthusiasts. 

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sacrificial first post. Try it.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Yeah–I need to learn that.  Or they could fix the software…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve long repeated the instructions to bush pilots to bring dog biscuits as emergency food.  They’re made of mostly food-grade stuff, last forever, and, unlike a Snickers Bar, you’ll NOT eat them until you really need them.

>”It also got our attention that Mr. Murdock is 80 years old and has a nine year-old son. ”

James Doohan’s (“Scotty” on Star Trek) seventh child was born when he was 80.  We engineers know how to keep the equipment running.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

You vintage engineers are full of surprises

Last time I tasted dog biscuits they needed to be sndwiched with a filling like what is used in Oreos 

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My dad used to actually eat dog biscuits as a snack when I was a kid and we had a dog. Milk bones. He actually liked them, but my dad is a really weird person.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools