Topic

Gossamer Gear Nightlight or Thinlight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Nightlight or Thinlight?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Can anyone tell me how the GG Nightlight rates as a standalone sleep pad? I’m looking for a sleep pad to use as a frame for my Prophet pack and the Nightlight looks like it might be quite good. However if it’s not comfortable to sleep on then I may as well go for something lighter as support that I can use in conjunction with my Neoair. In that capacity the Thinlight looks a better option as it’s almost half the weight of the Nightlight. Anyone tried both? Any other light/warm/supportive options?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive used the 5mm mec evazote bivy pad … and once you get to that thiness or less, its not really suitable unless you really want to rough it (in warmer temps), or want to save weight for alpine bivies

this is the BPL article you want to read for combining thin pads with neoairs …

https://backpackinglight.com/gossamer_gear_thinlight_foam_generic_foam/

;)

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I own both a thinlight and a nightlight. I also have other CCF pads.

Personally I get along great with a Nightlight by itself. Sometimes I take the thinlight as well. Only once have I slept with the thinlight alone, and I wouldn’t recommend it. I would only do it if its 40F (5C) or above, at least, and you can carefully choose some nice soft ground (eg pine needles). Folding it over twice is better, but still its not that great.

With a Neoair (I’ve owned them in the past but they don’t work for me personally) using a Nightlight under would be a waste unless you were heading to some serious cold temps. Thinlight is plenty. There are other thin options out there too. I have some “floor muffler” that Delmar bought (I bought half and he shipped it to me in Aus-what a champ!). Its thinner and lighter than the Thinlight, about 20% lighter. Its has even less padding than a thinlight though its kind of denser. Excellent for under a Neoair. I’ve got bits of it of all sorts of sizes and thus weights for different purposes.

A big advantage of such thin pads under a mat like a Neoair, is the puncture protection they provide. Of course, its also kind of like an emergency backup for you if your NeoAir dies on the trail.

For me, a HUGE part of the comfort factor in sleep is getting the pillow right. With a pillow to the right depth, I can sleep on just about anything. YMMV

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

If you’re a Neoair user I doubt you’ll like the Nightlite. I use one on occassion but I sleep on the floor at home, so I’m used to the lack of padding. I can’t sleep on the Neoair as I find it too soft.

The Thinlight is uber minimal. I don’t think it will do much as a frame. It is, however the one piece of kit that I always have with me. I use it as a sitpad, under-bivy protection, supplemental insulation for my legs in my hammock, quick- draw holster for my umbrella, etc.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Helpful, thanks. I also quite like a firm sleeping surface and although I have an XLite I actually find my old, thinner Prolite more comfortable (but double the weight of the XLite). I may give the Nightlight a try out – if it works for warmer weather then fantastic as it’ll probably make a reasonable pack frame. Anyone tried it for that?

I think the Thinlight will be too bendy for a pack support, though would be good for protecting the Neoair and as a sit pad etc.

What I’d really like is something I can use for both – providing decent support and padding in my pack, while being comfortable enough to sleep on.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Pete,

i can only speak to the mec 5mm evazote pad, though i suspect all thin evazote pads are similar

at best its a frame for very mild loads, more back padding really

as a stand alone pad the R value is 0.7 … Which isnt enough except for the warmest temps

youll need to fold it in half for a 1.4 R (same as a 1/2″ cheap blue pad) for anything cooler

the thermarest z-lite or sol lite are more weight efficient overall

the best use of these bivy pads is as a booster or fast/light alpine climbing

;)

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

How about a Ridgerest, the lighter version with the reflective surface?

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I have also found the Neo-Rest (or any other air mattress) to be waaay too soft   for my back, even when I switch to sleeping on my side. After a day or two, I would wake up with a severe backache – every time.

I have found that putting the 1/8″ ccf ON TOP of the Neo-Rest provides the firmness I need, and increases the  “sensible” R value, certainly more than you’d get if you leave the ccf underneath (believe it or not). To reduce my fear of puncture, I use a 36″ wide sheet of Tyvek underneath (Tyvek comes in 36″ rolls).

The 1/8″ ccf is quite maluable, and can be folded quite nicely as well. (I think I use Lawson’s 1/8″ Insulite pad, which he no longer makes.)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Pete

a rolled up ridgerest sol will provide some structure, but less than a zlite

the advantage is that i doesnt push the centre of gravity of the pack as far aways as a zlite

i use a sol short ridgerest myself sometimes

bpl has an article where they measure the most support from rolled vs folded pads if yr a member

;)

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

A ridgerest will take on a folded shape like a Z-lite if you keep it packed that way for a couple days. It’s also cheaper and said to hold up better than the Z-lites, right? (I think it is.) It’s more comortable than Gossamer Gear’s Evazote against my skin.

eric, I read a while back from another Eric that a Ridgerest cut in half and each half rolled tight to make two pillars makes a stiff foam frame, any chance they tested that? Sounds stiff but it would be pretty damn hard to use the pad after that. I already have a 48″ Ridgerest cut in half so I could try it but I imagine it also eats up a lot of space in an inefficient manner.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Duke …

i cant remember if they tested that, its been a few years since ive been a member and read the article …

one note is that if one uses a ridgerest as a tube, with some packs the back may feel “bulgy” …

the ridgerest shouls be more durable than the zlite, climbers wrap then around their packs to protect em when hauling

the small ridgerest is actually the second most efficient minimal pad with a decent R value (over 2), the small neo air is beats it but not by too much

it beats out the small prolite and small zlite

for a minimal pad thats a bit lighter the good ole blue foam pad actually isnt bad … R1.4 and when cut to size its pretty light … And cheap

there was good discusion on evazote pads 6 years ago on BPL

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/43509/

;)

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I’ve been using a Nightlite Torso pad since 2008, usually combined with a 1/8″ Thinpad.  In colder weather I also add a sitpad which is essentially a 4th section that I turn sidewise and place down by my knees which keeps all my body except my feet off the ground (I sleep sideways). I think they are more comfortable then a Ridgerest.  Don’t really think they are less comfortable then my late 90’s era 1″ inflatible thermarest pads. Can’t comment on the newer inflatibles as I haven’t used them in over a decade after getting tire of patching them.  They are obviously more comfortable on softer ground then concrete like compacted ground in many overused campsites.  Though as a tarp user, I rarely camp on such hard ground.  Though after being out for a week, I don’t mind even sleeping on flat rock slabs as long as they don’t have large bumps.  Combined with the Thinpad and sitpad, I normally have no issue sleeping in temperatures down to 20F.

The nitelite pad is the support for my ULA CDT frameless pack and goes inside against my back.  I’m pretty good at packing it without a lot of empty space inside so the support is fine.  The thinpad is strapped to the outside of my pack and often gets used at breaks to keep me from getting too dirty from dirt sticking to the sweat on my clothes and as additional insulation under the Nightlite and for the legs.  In warmer weather, it isn’t really needed, but its still nice to lounge on.

I used the combo on numerous hikes including the PCT and AT.  Don’t try using it on the small log floors in northern Maine AT shelters since they aren’t thick enough to overcome the dimples between the logs.  Stupidest design for a floor.  Even the 20+ year compacted ground around them was much more comfortable.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

I used a Thinlight as frame support on my Zpacks Zero, but I felt it wasn’t ideal. Didn’t help much, and made my back sweat more. I got more support out of my Thermarest Sit Pad.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Combining a Nightlight with a Thinlight….interesting. I think it’s going to have to be matter of trial and error. None of these foam pads are going to break the bank and I can sell them on if need be. I also like the look of the new Locus Gear pad…

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Didn’t know the Locus Gear pad existed.

Pretty neat looking. Might have to look into one myself. :)

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Yeah, looks good doesn’t it? Not light but it’s 180cm, and if it’s comfortable and warm enough for 3 season use then it could be used alone, without the inflatable which would make it a good option I think. Plus with the ridges it could be pretty good as a back pad. I’d probably cut it down a little though. I’ll try one out and post on here how it fares.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

That is an interesting looking mat, it will be interesting to see how the waves hold up.  If they compressing like the z-lite then not so good but it will be good to test.  The weight is appealing.  I am still using a cut down ridgerest as my back pad in combination with a prolite XS for sleeping and like it a lot but always looking to shave a few ounces too.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The thinlight is too thin by itself. In Hawaii that’s what I used so I added cushioning by folding it in half, which makes it 1/4″ thick and added a beach towel underneath. It doesn’t offer any rigidity for use as a frame even when folded a few times.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools