Topic

Good lightweight bottle for Steripen use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good lightweight bottle for Steripen use

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I need a bottle for Steripen use.  I would prefer that it be light and about 1 liter.  I could use a smaller volume possibly.  A re-purposed disposable bottle would be perfect.  But I can’t find a light beverage bottle with a large lid for repurposing.  My Steripen is the one with a rectangular base for the lamp and uses a usb to charge. I think it’s a Steripen Freedom.  Any ideas?

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

I use a Nalgene Cantene 32 oz. I personally haven’t found another suitable container that accommodates my Steripen Ultra.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you aren’t also using the same bottle for drinking — I use a cut down 2L platy for my Steripen sterilizing ‘bottle’. I cut it down to about 1.5l capacity, then marked in felt marker where the 1l line was, then put tape over that so it wouldn’t wash away.

Using a cut down platy (or similar) gives you a scooping container that’s much easier to scoop water from really shallow water sources, and weighs very little. As a benefit, can also be used as a nice wash basin water holder for cleaning up your grungy bits away from water sources.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

That flexible Nalgene looks like a good option, Tim.

Doug, I like your solution a lot.  The only downside for me is one extra piece of gear to carry around ot lose.  Thanks.

I’d still like to see a reusable beverage bottle I could get at the grocery.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

ZIPLOCK 32oz/1L CONTAINER – (1.86oz)

Can be use for other storage uses while in the pack.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I use a cut-down Platy bottle as well, like Doug. I keep it handy when I hike so I can use it as a “scoop” in shallow water sources, so it serves as a multiple-use item. If your route doesn’t require the need for a “scoop” then it may indeed be an extraneous piece of gear for you.

Otherwise, I’ve also used my cook pot for scooping and sterilizing water with a Steripen…

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

When you scoop and then Steripen, that doesn’t treat the water on the scoop that is above the water. It’s a small amount of untreated water, I suppose, so maybe it’s a non-issue. I wipe down the threads on my water bottle after treating, but I also don’t know if that is even effective or necessary.

I use a Core water bottle with my Steripen Classic. The opening is about the same size as a Gatorade bottle. Is that big enough for the Freedom? Health food stores have all sorts of other interesting water bottle designs.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

I use one of the freezer bags from trail designs to scoop and treat my water.  As Doug and Ryan mentioned this is very helpful when water is really down to a trickle.   I also mark with a permanent felt marker my bags at 500ml & 1 liter, since each cycle of my steripen (Freedom) treats 0.5 liters.   I like these freezer bags because they stand on their own when full of water, so that makes it very easy to treat the water.  The material is very robust too but flexible.  Folded down they take very little space and goes in a small pouch with the steripen.

Once the water is treated I pour it in my regular water bottles (I normally carry a small Gatorade bottle in my shoulder strap and a larger one on my side backpack pocket )

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I like the idea of a ziploc or freezer bag because I have them at home and they are light.  The cut down platy seems like a good option too.  I’m in the east and usually don’t need a scoop for water.  I don’t love the idea of an extra pos to carry around but it may be the simplest.  That soft nalgene may be the most elegant.

I’m not too worried about a drop or 2 on the scoop.  I don’t wipe my threads.  If I get 99.9%, I’m good.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Too cheap to buy Platys I use a sugar bag for a scoop, bucket. Gusseted bottom,

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Re-use. I like it.

Cheers

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I like it too: Free cut down platy substitute to go with your diabetes.

I recently realized we were out of sugar in the house.  I realized we had been out for well over a year.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

+1 for the cut off platy for Steripen use.

Stands up when filled and very useful as a small bucket too (extra water when cooking, washing up etc.).

Mine weighs .7 oz.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Ben,

I’ve got an old platy I can cut down and send your way if you want it (if you don’t have one yourself), just PM me your address.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Got some empty sugar bags and it’s on the grocery list. Glad to send one Ben, lol.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Awwwwww Sugar,

[da da da da da da]

Not platy platy

[da da da da da da]

You are my filtering girl,

and you got me wanting you……..

I just can’t believe the filtering lightness of you

(I just can’t believe it’s true)

I just can’t believe the one to love this filtering to

(I just can’t believe it’s true)

Awww sugar ……..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Forgot to mention, another use (for me anyway) for my cut down platy, I have cup gradations marked on the side (1/4, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 1 3/4, 2) so it’s my measuring cup as well. Multi use! And mine’s not actually a platy, it’s a soft-sided 2L bottle from Israel (that was very kindly given to me by Pat Starich long ago, still using it Pat!) that’s translucent blue, so I can see the Steripen light much better as I treat water than with a clear platy. FWIW.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

After killing yet another filter I am transitioning to a SteriPEN Ultra (the USB model).  I have been looking for a suitable bottle and believe I have found it –

– at Wally World.  It feels sturdy, holds 28 ounces, and has a lid that is water tight, although it does not have a soft “seat” on the inside like a Gatorade lid.  It is 1.75 ounces, 8″ tall, 3.375″ OD, and has a 2.25″ wide mouth – more than adequate for good swirling.  I don’t think the 4 ounce difference will be a deal-breaker for me.

I’ll supplement the kit with a cut-down platy for dipping and a Noseeum over-the-top “sock” to filter the big stuff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

With the Ultra you can use a regular small mouth bottle upside down. Don’t need the big mouth like for the Adventurer

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    1. I’m lazy and don’t like holding the 2# bottle upside down, trying to swirl, and not drop the SteriPEN.  I’m sure practice would help.
    2. Swirling is critical to success. I see much more with “wide-mouth” swirling than “upside down” swirling.
    3. Filtering big stuff is much easier with a wide-mouth, either directly in, or via a dipped platy.

YMMV

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Be sure to test the bottle. I tried using a peanut bottle like that a few years ago. It held water at first, but ended up leaking pretty easily once on the trail.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve been using Gatorade bottles for my SteriPen Pure+ (which is now available as that Red Cross branded unit).  But there’s not much wiggle room to stir the water with the SteriPen and I don’t like how the bulb is towards the upper end of the bottle instead of being more centered.

So I’m planning to switch to a plastic peanut jar or a plastic peanut-butter jar with two lids – one with a SteriPen-sized cutout to both support the SteriPen and to position its bulb to the center of the bottle.  Being closer to a sphere, it will make more efficient use of the UV light.

I also find I prefer treating a pint-sized bottle with a single cycle of the SteriPen rather than using two cycles to treat a quart at a time.

And, at least here in Alaska, I’m increasingly not carrying any water with me, just treating at the next water source as I feel thirsty and chugging a pint or two.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I do not understand the problem. You surely have a cooking pot?

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“I do not understand the problem. You surely have a cooking pot?”

Not always, no. If I’m going cookless, I have no need for a pot, and therefore don’t bring one.

I’ve now cut down a mylar food bag to use as my scooper/treatment vessel, since you told me that it could increase the effectiveness of the Steripen (not that I’ve ever had any issues with my cut down platy).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Or your pot has your cooking stuff in it packed down in your pack and using it at every water stop would be a pain. Plus mine are less than a liter, too small.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools