Topic

gonna try an ArcBlast clone…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear gonna try an ArcBlast clone…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I’ve gotten most of my MYOG cooking setup dialed in at this point. Time to move on to a pack. So I’m a big fan of the ArcBlast (since I’m a pretty sweaty guy when active and the mesh back really appeals to me) but just can’t see spending $300 on a new one. I’m watch Gear Swap to see what pops up but still wouldn’t want to spend more than $200 used… so in the meantime, want to attempt to sew one and see how it comes out.

My question is, has anyone attempted/completed one? I haven’t searched old threads so are there any I should be aware of and read thru? Any suggestions on the biggest pitfalls to watch out for? Suggestions on modifications to Zpacks basic design that will make things easier? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

R
    Spectator

@autox

Justin T
    BPL Member

@justapner

To second one of the links Rene sent, the gentleman who made the ripstop by the roll pack has made several of them, and has recently said his design for that particular pack didn’t work out as the carbon struts snapped. He posts mostly on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/user/pto892/submitted?activity=submitted

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Rene and Justin! Read thru those threads and checked out the RBTR guys bag. Lots of good info to get me started! I hadn’t come across RBTR either and was really surprised at their low prices. I had bought a couple small spools of “outdoor” polyester thread at Jo-Ann’s Fabrics for ~$5.50 each. RBTR has the “cones” w/ ~3x the thread for half the cost, so I ordered some and returned the spools to Jo-Anns.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools