Topic

MYOG D40 Arc Blast Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG D40 Arc Blast Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

So first thing's first – thank you ZPacks! Joe gave me a lot of information about how to construct this, so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel.

So anyway, my first MYOG pack has worked pretty well for me so far. In winter I'll continue to use it. But I've definitely noticed my back sweating more than with other packs I wear – the combination of the thick foam torso pad and the 3d mesh traps a lot of heat.

I love the Arc Blast frame design, and inspired by And E's awesome Arc Blast frame conversion, I decided it was time to make a new pack. I contacted Joe at ZPacks and ordered the carbon fiber frame pieces and a few other odds and ends from him. He offered me the same deal to sew the frame attachments on, but I wanted to puzzle it out myself, and besides – I had some other ideas. :) Here's what I came up with:

PackFront

I wanted the pack to be durable, have very strong and direct frame connections, and be, of course, reasonably light! The pack body is made entirely from Xpac D40. The final weight is 1 lb 10 oz without the hipbelt pockets, and just under 2 pounds with the pockets. It's not quite as light as I'd hoped, but still good enough for me. The left pocket is a padded camera case, which is rather heavy, around 3 ounces empty.

The thing that I puzzled over the most was how to connect the frame to the hipbelt and shoulder straps. I wanted a very direct connection, since I have a very long torso and I was worried about the frame sagging below my shoulders. Plus, the engineer part of me just can't stand putting in a good frame and then having a lackluster connection to the pack. So I spent about a month pondering and drawing different designs before I actually started cutting.

My original plan was for the shoulder straps to come up and over the top crossbar, which would serve two purposes: it would make them pull on the very very top of the suspension, and it would change the strap attachments from being loaded in peel to being loaded in shear.

The key breakthrough was when I started playing around with using small pieces of 16oz hypalon instead of webbing. It's quite a bit thinner, so it opened up a lot of options and I ended up with this:

Closeup of the whole crossbar assembly

The idea was for the shoulder strap webbing to go behind the crossbar and fold over it. I spent so much time worrying about frame sag that I thought I'd need that extra bit of space. It turns out I didn't need it at all, and putting the shoulder straps there made them too tall! Fortunately I'd planned on having the option to make them a bit shorter by not putting them under the crossbar, so it worked out.

Crossbar 1

There are two sleeves for the crossbar which hang off of the attachments for the lineloc3's. There's also another long sleeve sewn onto the D40 itself. They are all open ended and the crossbar feeds in from the side. Friction will hold it in place once the frame is tensioned.

Stay inserted

After putting the crossbar in, the stays are inserted from the bottom. They end up over the crossbar.

Tension holds everything in place

Once the frame is tensioned, the tension pulls the two pieces together, adding enough friction that I wasn't able to make the crossbar budge at all. I had hypalon tabs in case I needed to add something later to help hold it in, but I think I'll probably cut them off – the friction alone works quite well.

Bottom stay sleeves

The stays go through sleeves on the bottom of the pack. These are open-ended, and the lineloc3 folds over them to hold them in place (with a little extra hypalon padding).

Here's the pack loaded up with 30 pounds, to show the air space. Pose blatantly stolen from And E:

Air space

So, that's the pack! I finished it early this afternoon and walked around the neighborhood with 30 pounds in it. It carries that load very well, and I bet I could push 40. Which could happen if I decide to go through with my solo Horse Thief Route trip next May (packraft + lots of water!).

Some thoughts:

-D40 is hard to cut. I didn't let my really nice scissors go near it, for fear of dulling them, so I don't know how well they would've worked. But my rotary cutter failed even with a brand new blade! The best technique I found was to use my cheaper (but still decent) Singers and squeeze repeatedly to make a sawing/sliding action happen on the fabric. This resulted in the least amount of fraying. I was kind of pulling back on the scissors each time I squeezed them, so that the fabric wasn't really getting any pressure from the blades; rather, the blades were being drawn across it repeatedly.

-I might order another crossbar piece from ZPacks, to give a bit more air space in the upper part of my back. Right now I have to be pretty careful about how I pack it so things don't bump into my shoulder blades.

-16 oz Hypalon is a really fun fabric to work with. I ended up using it for the compression straps and line loc 3's as well. I don't think it added much weight compared to webbing and it's really thin, which is nice for sewing over in seams. That said, grosgrain would be just as thin and definitely lighter. But if you're making a pack out of D40, you might as well go for durability everywhere.

-This is the first pack I've made without load lifters. And it'll be the first pack that's ever had a chance of fitting me without load lifters. So I'm interested to see how much I like it. I can always add lifters between the crossbar and the straps, so I'm not committed to the idea, but I like the simplicity of not having them. We'll see how it goes.

-Thanks again to Joe at ZPacks for coming up with this frame design, and giving me some great tips!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks fantastic Nick. What are the dimensions of the pack bag?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

It's 36" tall, 11" wide at the back panel, 7" wide on the front panel, and 6" deep. So in theory it's a trapezoid sort of shape but of course in reality it's much more rounded.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Nice Nick.

From your pics it almost looks like the hipbelt is a full wrap with the frame hanging a la an Unaweep. Can you give a bit more detail on how your hipbelt is attached to the frame?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Chris,

This isn't the first time one of my packs has been compared to the Paradox packs – we must think very much alike. I'm a huge fan of full wrap hipbelts with a direct connection to the pack frame, so that's what I did here.

The second to last picture in my original post is a great view of the hipbelt attachment. The thing on the top is the back of the hipbelt (I folded it down so I could get a view of the suspension). The red object is one of the hipbelt pockets.

The attachment is just a piece of hypalon that was sewn under the suspension sleeve. I left that trapezoidal piece sticking out and sewed the hipbelt on once I'd finished putting the pack body together. So it looked like a trapezoid with a rectangle sticking out from the short side of the trapezoid – the rectangle is what was sewn under the suspension sleeve. Durability may become an issue with this, but we'll see – there are plenty of layers of fabric between the hipbelt and the carbon fiber stay.

I sewed through the foam on the hipbelt, rather than sewing to the fabric and putting the foam in afterwards. I tried it the second way on my canyoneering pack and the fabric ended up rotating around the foam – not very good weight transfer. The downside to this is that I ended up compressing the foam right where I should need it the most, where the hipbelt covers the line loc 3's. I say "should", because I don't feel this at all when I walk around with the pack. Time will tell if it becomes an issue.

A possible solution in the future may be to sew the attachment to the hipbelt fabric but not the foam, and then sew the foam to the fabric all along the edge of the hipbelt. Another option would be to eliminate the line loc 3's on the bottom, and only have them on the top. This is what I'll do if they start to bother me. It's convenient but unnecessary to have LL3's on both the top and bottom.

This is my first experience sewing the hipbelt on directly – in the past I've used velcro or buckles to have the hipbelt be removable. I'm glad I did that for my first packs, because I was still figuring out hipbelt design (not that I've stopped, it's such a complicated subject). For this pack, however, I'm glad to have the more direct connection. This pack rides about two inches higher on my waist than my first pack! With 30 pounds, there's still at least half an inch of hipbelt foam below the bottom of the suspension.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

And the saga continues . . . I took the pack for a couple of test runs and, although the suspension system worked great, there were a couple of problems:

1) The stays would spread out, and once or twice I had the cross-piece pop out of its sleeves on me.

2) The dyneema cord in the mesh back panel was rubbing on my shoulder blades. I couldn't tell if it would become a problem or not, but it seemed like something I should try to fix if possible.

I fixed the first problem by adding two sleeves onto the pack for the stays to go through, in the middle – that way they can't spread out. I also added another cross piece while I was at it, although this is easily removable if I decide I don't need it.

I fixed the second problem by making a new mesh panel out of just leno lock mesh. So instead of cord on the sides I have hemmed mesh. This still wasn't quite good enough, so I sewed on a couple of pads where my shoulder blades touch. You can see both modifications in this picture:

Mesh panel changes

I took it on a 4-day trip (got back yesterday) and it worked great! It carries better than my other packs and I love the breathability. I hiked in snow and wind and it helped my temperature regulation, keeping me from getting a sweaty back.

Unfortunately I noticed a small issue – the leno lock mesh has a slight amount of stretch. It's not noticeable when you tug on it, but it's enough that the back panel keeps loosening up on me. Joe at ZPacks warned me about this, and I'd hoped that the leno lock wouldn't be too bad, but it's definitely an issue. I might just replace the dyneema cord with thicker stuff and see if that holds in the buckles better.

It's still a great pack and I'll use it like it is, but I'd be nice if the mesh wasn't loosening on me, so I have a new solution to try today – I'll post an update when I've finished it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Impressive designing Nick. Hopefully you can get some of the minor issues ironed out. I've yet to build a more fabric based pack, so i'm always impressed by the MYOG posts like yours. If i had some kind of 3 way ferrules or some other kind of 3 way connectors, i would really like my weird carbon fiber/dyneema cord framed pack, but alas i couldn't find anything like that and the puddy epoxy i used to connect the carbon fiber arrow shafts into joints is sub par.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Nick,

Do you recall where you bought your 16 ounce hypalon?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

I got it from OWF. It's listed as "CSM (Formerly Hypalon)".

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Nick,

Thanks for the info.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools