Topic

Going Light – gear list from 1924

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Going Light – gear list from 1924

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

here is a link to an interesting historical document from the AMC historical archives that I thought many might enjoy. Its a very short pamphlet written by an experienced backpacker in the 1920s about how he is “going light” and includes his recommended 10 lb gear list.

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/the-dawn-of-ultralight-backpacking/?utm_campaign=pub-amcoo-040117&utm_medium=email&utm_source=internal-mem&utm_content=cta7&tr=y&auid=17271117#0

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Edgar H
    Spectator

@eh

2 pound axe allowed for extended cooking, all night heating and drying if necessary,  smudging away insects, cutting tarp frame bars, signaling,  etc.

Pretty good multi use tool.

Also the fabrics of the day wouldn’t necessarily burn a hole through the moment that an ember landed either.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Wool blankets are so heavy for the little warmth they provide. The only way to go light is keep a fire going all night. If you are traveling with multiple people, that task requires considerably less effort. When I first started backpacking I had super cheap gear. I spent many nights sleeping by a fire. On one trip I built and maintained a fire all night, every night for a week. I managed one night at 13 degrees with a synthetic 40 degree bag with no discomfort at all, just the mild inconvenience of waking up slightly chilled to restoke the fire. Very effective but sketchy in bad weather if you are relying on it.

Maxwell Russell
    Spectator

@fresh_easy

Locale: West

This was a great read! Thanks for sharing. I love the elocution of his purpose behind each item. This gent is the great, great grandfather to the modern gram-weenie… really cool to hear him discuss hiking and camping as an “art”. I have come to find that sentiment to be true.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools