Topic

GoFundMe for BPLer Kat due to California fires

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion GoFundMe for BPLer Kat due to California fires

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks for arranging this Doug, I sent something on earlier.

Hi Kat,

I am so sorry to hear this.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Move it down thread.  Good job Doug!

https://gf.me/u/ys6sq6

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Kattt hat ‘n dog. Herman says go Buddy! Took a lot of treats to get that picture!

Kattt hat n' dog

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Your cabin was so cute. My partner lost his house in the 1990 Painted Cave fire in Santa Barbara. He lost everything. Eventually he also lost his marriage because of it. Such loss causes so many dominoes to fall and he still bears emotional scars. My thoughts are with you as I look at the red sun caused in part by the particles of the forest and your cabin.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Great work in getting this started, Doug. You are a good man.

Katt, I hope that you can find a way to get reasonably re-established. It likely won’t be quite the same, as it looks like you had a wonderful place. Please be safe, as your inferno isn’t over quite yet. I am sure that you will pull this off, due to your incredible spirit.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

What a beautiful little home and idyllic setting. The loss is heartbreaking.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

Thanks for the update Doug. This is so tragic. I am happy to contribute. Hopefully some area folks w/ connections can help find a place for them. Of course theyre not alone, there will be some competition. Let’s see what we can do.

Well I’ve been here about a decade now, and with this, BPL just went up a COUPLE of notches. The ‘Family’ aspect of it is real & significant. At a time when our culture is fascinatingly divided, it’s nice to see the opposite happen.

Perhaps a new thread…but whatabout other fundraiser ideas…maybe a fave mfr of Kat’s could make a benefit item…gear, TShirt, bandana?

I once worked with a guy w/ 5 kids who lost all he owned in a fire. His advice was to know what you value most, and have your Go box ready. Peace.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks for the kind words, but a big shout-out goes to Ryan. That the goal was reached so quickly and with so many wonderful contributors is entirely due to Ryan’s involvement. Thanks Ryan. And thanks also to Nick, who got me started on getting the campaign in the first place.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just saw this and am so sorry for you, Kat and Chris. I’m lucky enough to have gone on many of those Trinity Alps hikes with Kat and seen her kindness (when I was suffering from heat exhaustion) and her resilience (her hiking out with a bum knee). Kat, I’m hoping your daughter is also safe!

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have a brother in the Sonoma County area, so far not affected by that fire. I have a close friend who has been evacuated from the CZU fire area, no word yet on their home. Another friend in Colorado with a wildfire threatening nearby. Another friend with a boyfriend who is a wildland firefighter in Alaska, now sent to Montana to help there. Everyone knows someone in the west who is either now or will be in the future, affected by fires. Tough times for so many!

Jon W
    BPL Member

@kcbased

Sending love from Kansas City.  Stay strong!

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Kat and Chris,
    I’m so sorry your special home in the woods was lost. Hoping for the best re: the workshop. Kat, the response from so many here is a testament to your thoughtful, vital presence for many years on this website.

My husband and I were backpacking in Yosemite when haze from fires out of the park caused us to leave one day early. I was using my backpack with the special large mesh pocket that Kat made for me several years ago. I never leave without it attached to my pack. Returned to Bay Area to learn about all the fires.
    Heading out now to check on our property at Pt. Reyes where “super scoopers” from Canada are scooping up water from Tomales Bay to spread on wildfire in the park.

Bill F
    BPL Member

@fournwi

So terribly sorry To hear about their loss. Glad to be able to help as payback for being part of this community.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

@obxcola: I love that picture! So fricking cute! Of course that also maxes out my sugar intake for the day… :-)

Dean Wolf
    BPL Member

@deanwolf

Kat and Chris, We’ve got your back!! ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hi Doug, Kat, Nick, and others from the “old days”…  ;)

I received the email from Ryan notifying the membership about this sad event, or I would not have heard about this.

I have been taking a long break from the online world as I decided to trade connectedness for increased peace and tranquility, but I think of the OGs on BPL from time to time, with great affection.  It was so much fun to get together a couple of years ago in the Trinity Alps.

Although I have no immediate plans to go back “on line”, I will definitely donate to this (BTW, the ONLY time I will likely ever donate to a “go fund me” campaign, but Kat is an exception).  I believe Kat knows where to find me…same phone number/email.

I can’t imagine how devastating this has been, and I am thinking about you, Kat!

Sending you a socially-distanced hug (and some $$$),  Valerie

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

We do miss you Valerie.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

An update.
    First , we are in awe and humbled by this community. Thank you. I will find better words in the near future.

Cascade ranch update:

as of last night things are looking much better. Chris cut some trees and bulldozed behind the northern most house . We can see flames on the horizon but nothing large and the wind is down and we have some fog. The weather forecast is not that good but we are thinking we should be ok. There are still some standing eucalyptus with smoldering under them beyond our reach; barring wind right between the trees that should be ok.
    Libby is staying with a friend in Santa Cruz and has made it up a few times to deliver dog food, coffee etc.

Blaze (!), Chris’s son has been taking care of his mom who also lost her home and they keep moving from one evacuated area to another but they are safe.

Kylie, Chris’s daughter, has been moving animals to safety nonstop. First horses and now geese and chickens. Not her animals but she is another tough, solid, caring person.

Right now Chris just moved a dozer for cal fire and is heading to drive a water truck to help at Cal Poly. He left his truck’s generator going and I have instructions on what to do if there are flare ups.
    I don’t feel like I have done much, at least compared to others, but I am trying.

Up on the hill with reception, where local ranchers and farmers and cal fire drive their trucks to communicate, everyone is talking about Chris. Over the last 3 days he has been going non stop, getting generators going, fixing people’s chainsaws, hooking up water systems, bull dozing. You name it.  He is definitively giving his all for this community, well beyond our own needs.

We already know of many, many neighbors that lost everything.
    Trying to save our home would have been dangerous and a waste of time. It is in the middle of a hill.

newest update is wind is about to switch and that is not very good news . Chris is heading back. Cal fire gave us letters with permission to travel all roads . This helps too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chris sounds like a really amazing, tough, and caring person–a great match for you.

In spite of the circumstances, I’m really heartened by the turn out and community here.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Thank you Doug for posting. Donated last night.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Just a quick note. This campaign has been wildly successful, more so than I thought possible. We’ve blown by the goal, and in less than 12 hours! Pretty amazing.

Since we’re far past the goal, I’ll be suspending the campaign at some point today. I’ve already mentioned this to Kat. I think the original purpose behind the campaign has not only been met, but exceeded, not just in monetary terms, but in the outpouring of support in messages and such.

When Kat’s ready, I’m going to list her as the ‘beneficiary’ of the campaign (we’ve also talked about this). It’s a GoFundMe term that simply means the only person who can withdraw any money will be Kat. I can’t even touch it as the organizer. I think that keeps things nice and tidy, and it will allow Kat to withdraw as needed, it doesn’t have to be taken all at once.

Some of you will see this twice as I plan to send this out as an update to all donors in the near future.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support for Kat and Chris. They are exceptional people, and they’re lucky to have such an exceptional community, which BPL is, to belong to.

Doug

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Doug: Thanks for kicking this off.

Ryan: Thanks for amplifying the message through BPL’s mailing list.

I’m in.

Katt: I’d have to check with my siblings but I know an empty 4BD/2Bath house in Castro Valley safe from any wild land fires.  It’s not surrounded by redwoods, but I grew up in that house just a few blocks from the East Bay’s 50-km Skyline Trail which takes you to Redwood Regional Park.  Ping me if you need someplace to stay for a few months and I’ll see if I can work something out.

Andrea Feucht
    BPL Member

@misstenacity

Truly this is what community (virtual or no or both) is all about. I’ve never met Kat and probably never will, but so what… BPL is amazing and BPL’ers even more so. Love and gratitude and salut to all of you.

Kat, my condolences for the house but my hugs for everything else.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

On the one hand I am heartsick for Katt and Chris. On the other I knew that this group had what it takes to step up and help. Thanks to Doug and everyone else who put this effort into motion.

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

Katt, So sorry to hear/see about all this!  You do great work.

Sent in a donation

Thanks to BPL for posting this.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools