Topic

Gear upgrade suggestion needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear upgrade suggestion needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I have about $200 in gift certificates to R.E.I., but feel that I already have a pretty good 3-season setup. I’m looking for suggestions for useful gear or upgrade.

For the main 4, I have a Z-packs 20* bag, a G-4 pack (and a GoLite Pinnacle, but don’t like as much), GG The One solo tent (or B.A. Fly Creek ul3 when my husband comes with me) and an Exped Synmat UL7 pad, with 1/8th inch ccf pad on top.

I have stove setups for alcohol, esbit and a canister stove is on order. I have lots of down puffies, down pants and booties — though I do still run cold and was thinking that a B.A. Q-core pad would be a worthwhile upgrade. (What I really need is an electric heated blanket!)

What would you upgrade, if you had $200 to spend?

Kelly

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

And the new dividend will come out soon, so I suppose I’ll have more like $250.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

If you sleep cold, I’d upgrade the pad to a NeoAir Xtherm Max with a insulation R value of 5.7.  The Exped Synmat UL7 only has a R value of 3.1, so you’d be almost doubling the insulation value.

K

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Sounds like you’re already set. What about other outdoor activities that they outfit?

Maps or guidebooks? Consumables (e.g. dehydrated foods, fuel). You don’t have to spend it all at once.

I don’t know about you, but my trail runners never last a full season.

Do you ski or snowboard? My local REI sells lift tickets, discounted even, to most of the nearby resorts.

Classes? Some are free, but their more in-depth navigation class is not. Same for their in-the-field snow & glacier travel safety class.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

And you can always cash out your dividend.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Warmer pad. Makes life so much nicer at night when you need it.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’d also vote for a warmer pad.

Stefan Hoffman
    BPL Member

@sphinx

Locale: High Desert

Exped Pillow. Cant go wrong with socks and shoes. Sunglasses? What about an insulated hat like the OR Transcendent Beanie.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Thanks everyone.

Yes could just get the cash on the dividend, but added to the gift cert makes a nice sum.

I think the idea of a new pad is a good one. A bit of research and wait for the next 20% off coupon then. Hadn’t thought of a class. Great idea too!

Kelly

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I third the suggestion for a new pad, and I really like my NeoAir Xtherm.  $ well-spent.  It sounds like you are pretty well-equipped, so I might suggest splurging on something you wouldn’t ordinarily buy, since it will be “free.”  What have you been dreaming of but just can’t justify?  (I would probably buy another Tenkara rod….)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools