Topic

Gear Swap Policies post

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Gear Swap Policies post

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I see you’ve made the Gear Swap Policies post a sticky. I think this is a great idea, so thanks.

But I’d humbly (no, really!) suggest changing it to reflect the reality of the current forum software.

Specifically:

• Once your item has sold, please edit your topic subject to reflect that fact by appending the text *SOLD* at the beginning of the subject line.

We haven’t been able to edit the topic subject for quite some time now. And if the item sells after a week, we can’t even edit a post to reflect sold, the best we can do is do a reply post saying that the item is sold. Because we can also no longer edit the initial post in a thread, many folks now put the actual information in a second post instead of the initial post. So I’d recommend the following until we’re allowed to edit posts again:

• Once your item has sold, please reflect this information as soon as possible in your For Sale thread.

Secondly:

• Listings should be considered “expired” after 7 days, at which time the original poster’s ability to edit the original post will be disallowed.

I’d recommend rethinking this. I’ve been on this site for a number of years now, and I rarely change the price of a FS item within a week, and have had many items sell well after a week for the listed price (I’ve even had items sell nearly a year later without changing the price). If I can’t edit the original post well after a week, you’re forcing me to add an additional post to inform forum members that the item has sold, creating an unnecessary post (IMO) and further gunking up the forums.

Thanks for your consideration.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Under Secondly, instead of: I’d recommend rethinking this.

I should have said: I’d recommend rethinking this when we once again have the ability to edit the initial post in a thread.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Agree.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Wait! It was just a sticky like, two minutes ago! Now it’s not. So I guess you can delete this thread.

NM. It’s a sticky when you’re in the Gear Swap forum only, so my suggestions are still valid (to me anyway).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Attend to this too please.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Comon….cant edit gear swap posts? This is a basic feature….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“Common….cant edit gear swap posts? This is a basic feature….”

You can’t edit the First post, hence the “See Next ..” as your first post and then getting down to business in the 2nd post.  Silly? Yes.  Welcome to BPL.

Edit is greyed out, but will light up when you roll over it –

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools