Topic

Gear Swap -Boxing/Sending

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Swap -Boxing/Sending

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Hi All,

Although I’ve bought a ton from others and sold even more on the Gear Swap, this is the first time I’m not selling/trying to send something that won’t fit in a small envelope or a USPS Priority Mail Box.  Unlike the sleeping pad I just sold and sent in a small USPS priority box, my GG Mariposa (with a 20 inch metal stay) won’t fit in any Priority box or envelope.  USPS quoted me $92 to send across the country and UPS quoted me $70.  Is there some kind of trick/method others have used to ship items like backpacks and ice axes where they can still reap some of the money and not lose it all to shipping costs as I see lots of other posts for large size gear constantly?

Follow Up–

Looks like when I was at USPS they failed to tell me they had Priority Boxes size:

23-11/16″ x 11-3/4″ x 3″ Inside1
    24-1/16″ x 11-7/8″ x 3-1/8″ Outside1

Which I guess should do the trick.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

While the pre-paid Priority Mail boxes are one option, you can also bring in your own packaging for Priority Mail shipment.  Parcel Post used to be a thing (and is maybe what they now call “USPS Retail Ground”), but it’s not any bargain anymore – they kept jacking up all prices to closely approach Priority Mail.  Putting in dimensions and weight for a UL pack plus box, I got $76 Priority Mail Express 2-day, Priority Mail (expected in 4 days) $29 and USPS Retail ground at $24.35.  Media Mail was $5.50, but that’s only for books, magazines, records, audio/video tapes, newspapers, etc.  I’ve certainly sent things that weighed and felt like books as Media Mail and never got arrested, but I’m not sure a backpack in a box would pass the smell test.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I recently sold a backpack (Hanchor Marl w/ 24″ frame) on gear swap and shipped it via USPS (Priority Mail – by weight & dimension) and it cost $26 to ship from CA to FL.

Try using the USPS Postage Calculator and select the “Calculate price based on Shape and Size” option: https://postcalc.usps.com/.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I just shipped a box USPS Priority Mail  24″x16″x4″ about 3 pounds from CA to TX: cost just under $17.  My 2 cents.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

+1 on USPS postage calculator. If I am going to price something with US shipping included I always check to see how much this could be before I set my price.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

In case someone stumbles on this from a search, the “board game” sized large flat rate box works really well for most packs and ships for $22.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Great call but the Board Game box is no longer made. Went to 4 post offices looking for it.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I have always used those “board game” boxes and these do not have any weight limit – so, great for resupply boxes.

I once received a backpack completely covered with bubble wrap alone – no boxes. You can do that as well.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

The dimensions you have listed sounds like the “board game” or “game box” – it is possible they didn’t understand what you were asking for. They keep these inside and you have to ask for them…can you send picture of the box? is it similar to these that I used for resupply?

Tyler P
    BPL Member

@typhel-2

I highly recommend pirateship.com for easy comparison of shipping costs for multiple carriers — especially since they provide access to favorable rate schedules (like USPS Cubic) that aren’t available to retail customers.  Their rates have been ~much~ better than retail for UPS and USPS for most things I’ve shipped over the last few years; larger parcels in particular.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Thanks Tyler for the heads up.  I tried a test quote for a 5lb package from my UPS acc’t  vs Pirateship UPS.  $17 from my private acc’t vs $11 Pirateship, both 3-day service.  Seems you’re onto something, thanks.  However only USPS and UPS are the “multiple carriers” unless I missed something….I can easily live with that.

Tyler P
    BPL Member

@typhel-2

I could’ve sworn I shipped something via FedEx through them, but I’m probably mistaken — so it looks like it’s just UPS and USPS.  I agree, that’s barely “multiple carriers” :D

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

“The Postal Service has decided to discontinue production of the Priority Mail Board Game Large Flat Rate Box. This decision is based on the inability to run this box on package processing equipment, costs associated with manually processing this box, and reduced customer usage of this box in recent years.Feb 24, 2022”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools