Topic

Gas canister stabilizer legs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gas canister stabilizer legs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Minor question but a tiny eeny bit of weight – do you bring the plastic canister “legs?” Or just make sure your rock is flat before loading up your stove? I guess no amount of weight is too small to be thoroughly analyzed and thought through by BPL members.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

No canister legs.  Just try to keep my wits about me when cooking on a canister, especially the 4-oz kind.  Struggling enough to fend off “doodad creep” already.
    : )

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

got this idea from Ryan. For winter at least.. works perfect and no bulk and minimal weight.  Depends where I am going if i bring the little plastic folder legs though.  Sometimes they come, sometimes they stay. I do mostly use my Ti-Tri stove setup, so then its not even a thought.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

brought it here. I think I usually bring it unless its winter with snow and ice, then I bring the yellow base. They weigh minimal and pack into the stove kit.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

No legs…but I don’t use a canister-top stove anymore, so I have no need for them.  I also invert my remote canister for liquid feeding, so legs would get in the way.  Back when I used a stove that sat right on top of the canister: yes, I used them.  I appreciated the stability that my clumsiness nearly required.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Yes. I use the legs. gives more options for stove placement as well as stability… and I like to keep my canister and stove out of the dirt and up higher where I don have to bend down all the way to the ground.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I do have several sets of legs left over from reviewing, but I have never carried them.

On dirt I just wriggle the canister for an upright stove around a bit to get it level and stable. On rock I get what you might call two sides level, then I use a twig as necessary for the third point. But I can usually find flat rock around here anyhow.

For one of my inverted canister stoves I can usually find level rock. On dirt I use my little bit of 3-ply as a base, so I get that level first. Takes seconds.

But I DO agree about stability and safety.

Cheers

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Never carry.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Never carry

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If I bring anything, it’s on a trip with more people and a larger pot.  Then I bring a 4″x4″ or 5″x5″ piece of waxed cardboard (like what vegetables arrive in to the grocery store).  It doubles as a cutting board and triples as a emergency fire starter.  So you can burn it up after your last hot meal and not carry it out the last miles.  It then counts as a consumable and you get to retroactively subtract it from your base weight.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We carry them and find them useful

Phil C
    Spectator

@rockee

Locale: (null)

For the MSR windburner, the legs are used to do a reset of the thermal limit breaker.  Rare event but it does happen (to me, once).  I don’t know if something lighter could be used.

RESETTING THERMAL TRIP MECHANISM 1. Wait 5 minutes for stove to cool. Disconnect fuel canister from stove. 2. Open the Flame Adjuster counterclockwise 2 full turns. 3. Insert one leg of Fuel Canister Stand into the hole in stove’s mixer tube. Inserted leg should stop against mixer tube. 4. Rotate the leg clockwise to press the brass jet downward until a click is heard. 5. Close the Flame Adjuster before reconnecting fuel canister. Stove is now ready for use.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

MSR Windburner:
    A stove which uses the Reactor technology which is known to give off lots of toxic carbon monoxide, but also which can overheat dangerously so that a thermal trip is needed to stop it from exploding.
    Great stove …

Biased?
    Cheers

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Why would it overheat? It takes all of 3 minutes max to bring water to the boil. What is a “mixer tube?” That is the model I have, and it’s great.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Are you asking why or how it would overheat?

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

So what might be a good flame retardant fabric you can cut to size just to put under your canister to keep it from getting wet (& potentially rust)?  Seems something like this would exist that you could just stuff in your cook set easy-peasy.

Phil C
    Spectator

@rockee

Locale: (null)

Karen,  I was at a provincial park in Nova Scotia after a storm rendered the water non-potable and had to boil water for dinner and the group’s water bottles.  I did not have a water filter with me.  Evidently I was in a hurry and let the stove get too hot.  If you are careful you would not need the legs (nor the thermal safety switch …).   The instructions I posted earlier were from the manual and should have referenced it.  There is also a diagram of all the parts in the manual, which you can find on line.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Good to know about the reset thing. I don’t think I will bring the legs, nor worry about the reset. One less “doodad” as someone posted above. There are so many possible doodads to bring, all of which make the pack heavier! It’s heavy enough. I’m at 26 pounds with everything in the pack, except water and a gas canister. Five days of food. Here we go!

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I use the MSR “universal canister stand .”Works great. Out pot is 1.3L, so I want the stove be be as steady as reasonably possible. It weighs 1.2 oz.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

what might be a good flame retardant fabric you can cut to size just to put under your canister to keep it from getting wet (& potentially rust)?
    I use a small square of thin 3-ply. You could also use a small square of silicone-coated fibreglass cloth, or a square of 0.2 mm aluminium sheet.

Mind you, i doubt that getting rusty will ever be a problem – if you wipe the bottom of the canister clean each time after use. They don’t last that long.

Cheers

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

How about a square of cardboard covered in polyethylene coated duct tape

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Four problems there.
    * The melting point of polyethylene varies from 85°C to 145°C, depending on the type of polymer. That is rather low.
    * PE burns well.
    * Cardboard burns well.
    * Cardboard gets soggy and weak when it gets damp.
    I dare say others may be able to find more for the list.

I suggest NOT.

Cheers

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I was thinking more like Polyken Aerospace Tape w a 40-200 temp operating range

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I take it you have some of this already? :)
    Well, it is not what I would use, but if you already have it to hand, it would cost very little to try it out.
    Actually, if you wrap the cardboard so it can’t get wet, I imagine it might last quite a while. In my experience, whatever base plate you use will not get very hot.

Pictures?

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I re-use my canisters many times and haven’t had any rust problems

My current canister I started August 2020.  So I’ve used it about 90 nights.

There is a little rust a couple places but not enough to make any difference

I use the 8 ounce canisters though – a little more stable, plus 4 ounces of fuel isn’t quite enough for my trips.

I use no stabilizer legs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools