Topic

Funnel and Prefilter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Funnel and Prefilter

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

I am using and liking the Sawyer Squeeze, Smart Water bottles for clean and a 2-liter Cnoc for dirty.

There have been occasions where the water was dirty enough that I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a way to pre filter.

Also, as some of you know, it’s not always easy to completely fill the Cnoc by itself. A dip cup helps.

After watching this video

🔵Sawyer Squeeze Smart Water Bottle Mods🔵 – YouTube

I made one as he suggested, ending up with a dip cup and funnel.

The two Smart Water bottle parts, together weigh 1.2 oz, 35g.

So now I’m looking for some filter options.

Reading threads here on prefilters, some of the more popular options seem to be some type of thin, flexible filter material or a fine fabric mesh.

Trying to decide how to use one of those with the Smart Water funnel and Sawyer coupling piece.

I’m not familiar with the fine metal mesh but I doubt it is flexible enough to put over the SW threads and screw the coupler on.

Maybe a cloth, fabric type filter material?

Thoughts?

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

The You Tube video is “Sawyer Squeeze Smart Water Bottle Mods” by Prepare Every Needful Thing.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

As the video says, I think a lot of people use bandanas. I never liked dealing with the wet cloth after.

When needed, I used the Coghlan’s Filter Funnel that has a brass strainer at the bottom that filters the larger stuff in conjunction with a scooper.

Thinking along reusable coffee filters, I recently got Montbell’s Compact Dripper 4 (larger than model 2) since at times I take chopsticks backpacking. If no chopsticks,  twigs can be easily put to use where I hike most often. I got it recently and I don’t have as much time on it. What I do like so far is that it’s less of a mess to deal with than a wet bandana.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Bandanas and coffee filters are too slow.  I use a screw on funnel with a faucet aerator screen and a scoop.  Here is a thread about dipping from shallow desert water sources that has good pictures and ideas.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Thanks.

Yeah, I think some type of fine mesh, filter material would be better than a wet coffee filter or bandana.

That’s good to know about the coffee filter being so slow. I’m not familiar with using one.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think the BPL web software is screwing up the link to that youtube video, I wonder if this works

YouTube video

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I just copy pasted the link and did not click the link ikon of the BPL web software

I’ve screwed with cutting up liter plastic bottles, but an unmodified bottle works pretty good in shallow water.  Squeeze the bottle, put the opening under the water – can be just an inch or two, let go squeezing and water will get sucked into the bottle.  This has an advantage over a scoop, in that you can draw in water that’s below the surface where a lot of stuff can be floating.

Maybe pre filtering isn’t that critical.  It will filter out big particles, but they don’t clog up the filter that bad.  Particles that are close to the pore size, 0.1 micron or whatever, will clog up the filter worse.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Thanks Jerry.

I’ll give that a try.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“Maybe pre filtering isn’t that critical.  It will filter out big particles, but they don’t clog up the filter that bad. ”

Yup.  That’s been my experience with industrial filters.  In the building next to my office, we treat 40,000 gallons a day and putting a 10-micron filter in front of a 1-micron filter doesn’t change the service life of the 1-micron filters.  Big chunks collecting on the filter element doesn’t prevent nor change the rate at which the smallest particles get deep into the filter and fill it up.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

“putting a 10-micron filter in front of a 1-micron filter doesn’t change the service life of the 1-micron filters”

Interesting. I hadn’t thought about it that way, partly because I don’t know what the micron size is for some of the finer filter materials.

I was just thinking of catching some of the fine silt that occasionally can’t be avoided. But I guess it’s just as well to let the Sawyer filter catch it and backflush.

Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

The Squeeze filter is hollow tubes with 0.1 micron pores in it.  The water passes from outside to inside the tubes.

Any particles much bigger than 0.1 microns will stay outside the tubes.  Of course, this is a simplification because all the pores are slightly different size.

Particles that are much smaller than 0.1 micron will pass through no problem – yummy, extra protein

Particles that are right about 0.1 micron will get lodged in the pores.  If there are enough of them, your filter will plug up and can become unusable.

When you backflush, water is pushed from inside the tubes to outside.  The tube expands slightly because of the water pressure, so the pore size increases slightly.  Particles lodged inside the pores will be washed away, a well as all the big stuff outside the tubes.

Many reports of the Sawyer Mini plugging too easily.  It has fewer tubes and pores.  Some people have switched from Mini to the Squeeze, or Steripen.  Or Befree.  Or…

Gummy stuff or mineral deposits can get stuck onto the tubes and into the pores.  That’s the biggest reported problem I’ve heard about with a Squeeze plugging up.  Backflushing doesn’t help.  A pre filter doesn’t prevent this.

The biggest cause of this is putting hard water from your faucet into the filter, and letting it stay there for a long time.  If you add bleach to the water it’s much worse.  If this happens you can soak with warm/acidic water.  vinegar.  CLR…

I have now summarized an uncountable number of previous threads about this : )

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Hey, thanks Jerry and David, for all that good info!

It is appreciated and I think I will be forgetting the prefilter.

When you say Gummy stuff or mineral deposits, I’m thinking the mineral deposits come from hard water from the faucet, and I do have hard water at home. Would it be good to use the distilled water I use with my CPAP when cleaning the filter for storage?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

some people swear by pre filters, mine is just one opinion : )

distilled water would be good to clean filter.  Maybe backflush with regular water, then just a bit more of the distilled water so it’s left in the filer in storage

or, maybe just avoid using bleach and you’re good, or if you use bleach then flush that out with clear water before storing filter.  And keep in mind the technique to backflush with vinegar, CLR, or warm water if it does get plugged up

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Thanks.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

As the filter “clogs”, larger particles being kept at bay and this accumulation slows down the flowrate.  That being said, the accumulation actually acts as a pre-filter and your filtration levels can actually improve, albeit a slower flow rate.  Backflushing can increase the flowrate by reducing the built up particulates.  My 2 cents.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Thanks Jon.

I’ve enjoyed watching some of your videos. Great work.

Bill K
    BPL Member

@offtraildog

thanks for the link to the Mods .. I also prefer a bandana as a prefilter

Seems like every year I try a different system. just viewed gearskeptic series on water treatment and decided to try the Squeeze this year for my hiking in CONUS.

Last year on the SHR I used a steripen ultra and a Fuji bottle (square so does not roll) w/ the top cut off as my scoop/dirty water. Steripen easily fit in for treating water and also for storage along with a bandana.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools