Topic

Fuel Container for oz counters 9gm bag holds 8oz of HEET

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fuel Container for oz counters 9gm bag holds 8oz of HEET

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Just wanted to share these bags. I think they are a good option for reducing the weight of an alcohol storage device. I waited to post on this topic until a had a few years of experience with these bags. They are ironically designed for sneaking alcohol onto cruise ships in your luggage. Because of that they are light weight, tough, and designed to withstand alcohol and have a very controlled pure from a narrow spout. I’ve done a few unscientific scenario tests – like leaving HEET in the bag for weeks, putting in the freezer, leaving it out in the sun – and other then the bags changing texture and becoming opaque I haven’t noticed any failures. They’ve been on about 10 trips now without failures using the 8 and 16 oz version.

So anyway, I’d like more folks to try these and see if there are failures in situations I haven’t accounted for because for 9 grams I think this is the lightest reasonable alcohol carry use case and it might be worth adopting as a goto option for the UL community. One limitation is I only use the yellow HEET for cooking – I have no experience with other alcohols interacting with this bag and that would be helpful to know for early adopters

Benefits

– 9 grams, light enough to ship extras in your through box.

– forms and shapes when full to fit inside a 1.3 liter evernew pot with the caldera and starlyte stove components, saving bag space.

– very controlled narrow pouring spout has been easy to use with accurate stove filling, does not spill.

– appears reusable for 3-4 trips at the least, likely more

– cost 1 dollar per bag

– comes with a filling funnel which works great.

Here’s the amazon link:

Hope this is helpful!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Many people(myself included) have been using those type of flasks for many years there are numerous postings for different ones people have used over the years but here is one example from 2007 FOUND POSSIBLE LITTLE NIPPER REPLACEMENT .

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Ah man I wish I could replace this post. Well they are still working well! Thanks for the link!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Hanz,

Reminders are always good and most of us don’t search through 12-year-old posts just to play gotcha!  I’m only an occasional alcohol stove user (and have other ways to sneak alcoholic beverages onto a plane), so I’d forgotten about those.  I like the variable volume and the ability to pack it into a pot, unlike the rigid vodka bottles I dumpster-dive for.

Jackson King
    BPL Member

@proton

Locale: Southeast

Thanks Hanz!  Light and can be shaped inside pot. Great suggestion.

STEPHEN S
    BPL Member

@8uzzki11

I was just looking for something like this, thanks for posting!

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I saw this some  time back- it’s a great idea Hans. But here’s what convinced me-if I can have half the fun these blokes are having? Well, you little ripper!

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Lol

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Has anyone done a deep dive on the red solo cup as an ultra-light eating and drinking vessel?

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

If the 8oz bag weighs 9 grams how much does the 16oz bag weigh?

Hanz B
    BPL Member

U know I never weighed the bigger ones because I thought if I’m carrying more then 8 oz might as well have the safety of two 8 oz bags in case of breaking one and I like that one of two can fit in my pot with the other caldera stuff.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I just received these; IIRC the 16oz bag weighs 0.56oz, or about 16g.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools