Topic

Francois D'Haene JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Francois D'Haene JMT

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

This is nice and easy to read.

” After 60 hours of race, Francois just passed 300 miles on this route. Here’s a point on his chronos vs the previous record at km254 at red meadrows.”

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

Wow.. Just checked facebook and the time they have quoted there is 2D 19 H 26 MN

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Amazing!

I’d be curious to know what the next 24 hours look like for him. Peter, can you offer any insight? Is it burgers and sleep? Deep tissue massages and hydration?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Wow. I always wondered what it would look like when a truly elite mountain runner tackled an FKT.  I guess now we know.  The negative to this is that mere mortals like myself don’t have much of a shot once the heavy hitters get interested.

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Every time I hike in darkness, I find it difficult to hike fast because of the reduced visibility and shadows.  I can’t imagine running it, much less being highly fatigued, and what’s even more amazing this is mid Oct where there’s almost 4 hours less daylight per day than late June.  I wondering what he’d be able to do with increased daylight.  Amazing run.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

In 2003 I finished at 3am, got right into a vehicle & fell asleep on the 15min drive to our friend’s house in the Valley. The next thing I know I open my eyes and see only trees and sky (my head was on the open gate of the truck) & I feel incredibly peaceful. I have no idea where I am or even who I am… Sleep deprivation is the big deal here. Francois made the interesting choice to start at 10am, which meant that he finished at 5am instead of say midnight. Much harder to go through that 3rd night! It is also of note that Francois seems to have had the best support of anyone who has chased this record. In his pics you see pacers with large packs, while Francois carries very little. It seems they had a good plan & executed it extremely well!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I wondering what he’d be able to do with increased daylight.

In contrast, I wonder how much slower he would have been in July with increased daytime high temperatures. Everyone is different, but my endurance always feels better in moderately cool weather, and water requirements are noticeably lower too.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Everything is slower in the dark, but I agree about the temps. I really struggled with heat & hydration both times I ran the JMT. More recently people have had issues with smoke as well.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I read once that running in high temps takes 20% more energy than in cooler weather due to the body’s need to sweat. Seems about right.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

do we know how Francois’s effort ended yet ?

uh … never mind, went over to FKT web site,

2 days 19 hours 26 minutes

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

It was also on this page, second post.

But yeah that is an amazing time. And some next level support.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Amazing! I was traveling in Europe for the last couple weeks, so I didn’t follow this one until the very end. Like many others, I wondered what was possible for an elite runner truly putting it all out there on the JMT, and that question has been answered authoritatively, at least for now. I thought Leor’s time was stout, but this is a whole new level of stoutness. Well done, and this one should stand for a while I think.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Updated the table through Francois’ (remarkable) finish.

Really, a job extremely well done by both Francois and his team.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools