Topic

Foot Traction Device needed for winter Grand Canyon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Foot Traction Device needed for winter Grand Canyon?

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi David

That 10-stud overshoe – what weight?

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

400 grams per pair.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Roger:

184 grams. 6.5 pounces. Per pair.

I’ve pondered making some serious rubber bands from inner tubes and putting some rivets through them.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

some serious rubber bands
    GUT feeling: too stretchy. I THINK you need a fabric reinforcing inside the sole area at least.
    You could try insertion rubber? Pop-rivet over the top.

Cheers

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

How do those studs compare in terms of grip with Microspikes? they look less aggressive. I’ve found the Microspikes to be very good in icy conditions.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

While they don’t project much, aren’t very big, and there aren’t many of them, it does well on those 600 feet per mile sloped GCNP trails on solid ice.

Small points dig in more than big points.  Fewer points each get more pressure than many points.  Sometimes less is more.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

David, I wear those things – that you pictured – all winter in Fairbanks! Worst is the parking lot at work. They’re great and last a long time.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I wonder how they would do at the coast on rocks coated with extremely slippery seaweed, moss, etc. ???

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

That might depend on how smooth the rocks were and on how thick the seaweed & moss was. I suspect it might be very iffy.

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I do a lot of work for my wife in the rocky intertidal areas (Southern to Central Coast California).  I am pretty sure that micros pikes would have minimal benefit on algal fields.  Keep in mind that you also have the reverse effect out there as most of the rocks are covered with small barnacles (and they can be pretty sharp).    TEVA’s aren’t great, I typically just use scuba booties and watch my footing.   My 2 cents.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools