Topic

Food options for black bear country?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Food options for black bear country?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

• I am unsure if I should pack food different this time or not?  I’m hiking the wonderland trail in September which I’ve heard that the bears are in the early stages of hibernatation…very active?
    • What food should I avoid taking?  Or should I not be concerned?  I will be using a opsack and a Ursack with me and pack all the smellable items at night.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Pam

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Check with the MRNP backcountry office on the status of bear wires at all of your reserved campsites. If you can hang from a wire, a lightweight waterproof bag is all you need. If a wire is down for a particular site, check to see if they allow use of the Ursack for food storage – worth checking.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Thanks so much Lester!

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I finished the WT 2 weeks ago — you’re in for a treat, Pam!

All sites have bear poles that you can hang your food from (except Cougar Rock campground — grrr). Bring a lightweight drysack, make sure all your smellables are in it, and you’re good.

We saw a couple bears, but they were totally disinterested in people. Nothing to worry about, but magnificent to behold…

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Oh that’s good news Gumbo!  I’ll keep my ursack at home then and not worry too much about the bear situation.  Looking forward to it!

Pam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools