Topic

Flying with your gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flying with your gear

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

I have a couple of backpacking trips coming in which I’ll be flying to the location with my gear.

I know not to bring my gas stove, bear spray, etc..

I’m wanting to know what are some tips? Do you put all your stuff in a duffle and check the bag? If so, what’s a suggested duffle bag? Also, what liter bag would work? I originally thought a 70L would work, but now think I’d need a little bigger.

I’m taking the SO Gila. Don’t think I can use it as a carry on, so I do think I’ll need to check it. I’ve watched a video by Dixie that suggest to put your backpack in a duffle because everything in the duffle will be insured.

I do have trekking poles and I worry that the ends will poke a hole in the duffle. Anyways, these are my concerns. Any tips?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Depends,  I have taken trips with just my backpack.  I check it in a cloth sack to keep things from catching on them (lossen all the straps first).  Some airlines have bags that you can use.  I have also packed by backpack in a large duffle.  Works well.   For trekking pole, I usually take them with the rubber feet attached to prevent snagging.  My 2 cents.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Yeah I don’t have any rubber feet for my trekking poles. I guess I should buy some.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I never had a problem with carry-on carrying the first generation of Vapor Trails (Granite Gear)  or my larger Zimmerbuilt (ZB-2). They were full of gear but much was compressed down, a few other fabric pieces and taking out removable frames (which I’m least likely to use anyways).  Just a tad of stuffing in the overhead compartment.

Note I check my poles, knife/multitool and stove using a long cardboard tube, though I’m increasingly looking at mailing the same “priority” to lodging near my start point for distant [U.S] hikes requiring air.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I bought an REI Rolling duffle in 2011 and have been using it ever since.  I just pack by backpack at home like usual, other than leaving any items out that can’t be in checked luggage, put it in the duffle – which is really easy with the big U-shaped zipp, and check it like any other bag.   I generally leave it in my rental car or at a hotel/hostel when I get to my destination.

I have checked my bag before with no duffle, but after a hiking partner did that and had his backpack damaged – including a broken hip-belt buckle – which wasn’t easy to fix near a trailhead, I decided to get something more sturdy to protect it.

My bag has long been discontinued, but it seems similar to this one they sell today.

https://www.rei.com/product/177054/rei-co-op-big-haul-recycled-rolling-duffel-34

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was surprised how big the duffel needed to be for my X-Large ULA Circuit.  I think it’s 100 or 110 liters, and that makes for an uncomfortably tight fit.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

When I just take my backpack, I usually use a sleeping bag storage bag.  It’s a loose fit and super light.  My 2 cents.

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I like the rolling duffle idea mentioned above.

For the last 20-30 years I have used old fashioned GI duffle bags; either the standard size or I also have one of the “oversize” versions.   Have also used various TNF duffels and large river running dry bags.   Size – not much downside to “too big”.

Poles and poky things – I usually put in the pack with appropriate items around the poky ends, then put the entire ensemble into one of my duffles.

Depending on the nature of the trip and weight of the pack, and the nature of the contents, I would consider flying without putting the pack into a duffle, but if so, I would remove straps…and cross my fingers.

One beauty of a large duffel is you can usually stuff other odds and ends into the duffel but outside of the backpack, thus  resulting in fewer checked bags or a smaller / lighter carry-on.   That method worked better in the old days when checked bag weight limits were higher.  If you face a 50 lb weight limit on checked bags,  consider putting heavy items into carry on or wear them. If you hike in boots, wear them on the plane, along with your “puffy”.

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

I always carry my bag with me (arcblast typically). I check in a cheap zippered woven nylon tote – the cheapest I can find such as https://m.alibaba.com/product/720208891/New-Designs-PP-Woven-Zipper-Grocery.html

in it I’d put stakes, pocket knife, stove, etc. These bags are really durable and weigh close to nothing. I’ll use them as cushion to sit on while on the trail.

I have the same stupid bag for close to 10 years now. Additionally, nobody’s likely to steal such a stupid looking bag 🙂.

hth

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

If using a duffel bag, what do you do with it after arriving  at your destination, assuming you don’t have a rental car and are not staying at a hotel or hostel?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Have never flown with backpacking gear . What items can you NOT take and precautions one must take when checking the backpack when you fly??

Is there a thread on BPL that spells this out?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

If using a duffel bag, what do you do with it after arriving  at your destination, assuming you don’t have a rental car and are not staying at a hotel or hostel

If in the US with post offices at either end, could do what some long distance hikers do and mail it to yourself at your destination “general delivery”.   If air, it’s usually bigger cities with an airport.

Most will need a last address if just to shower (see below) and most places will accept a smaller flat package.  I’d say best plan is to get this arranged  before boarding a plane, train etc.. though lest the captain or conductor refuse boarding due to hygiene (may want to pack a city t-shirt with the duffle):

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/thru-hikers-removed-plane-over-smell/

These guys claimed they showered but probably didn’t realize how smell-infused they and/or their duds were.

Note: what I’ve done on longer distance hikes is call up (usually a nicer hostel on my last night – more expensive facilities are usually not totally booked) and say I’m coming in at a certain range of dates, putting that as “ETA: …” on the bottom of the package of a duffel, city clothes, maybe stuff like a bike helmet if I’m planning  to stay a bit longer renting a  bike, etc.. If I arrive earlier, I’ll usually see if I can bump up my stay (chances are I’ll be asleep that first night anyways)/extend/look for added nights in better lodging.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You typically can’t carry on tent stakes, trekking poles, or a knife.   You can’t check anything with lithium batteries, or a Bic lighter.   You can’t carry stove fuel, bear spray or any liquids over 2oz.

I typically have to buy water bottles and HEET or Canister fuel when I get to my destination.

I also typically pack my cookpot along with my camera or other electronics (like an inreach) in my carry on back.  I’ve flown for 15-20 backpacking trips and I’ve had 3 things broken (I think all on the same trip), my cookpot was slightly deformed (but still worked) and my camera lens LCD screen busted when I left it in my checked bag.   On the way home from that trip, they also broke a trekking pole (Carbon Fiber).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My GG Gorilla qualifies as carry-on.  My knife, pole and stakes either get shipped in advance or are check-through in a cardboard poster tube.  If I shipped in advance my esbits are in the package.  If I am doing carry-on I acquire fuel at the destination.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I just wrote a whole piece about flying to backpack and what I have learned over the years.  You will have to check some stuff but I carry on as much as I can in case the checked bag gets delayed or lost.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

A note about International flying. Always read the rules & regulations of your destination country. Most countries do not allow you to bring in items like salami or jerky as they are uncooked. Prior to a trip to Australia, we washed/cleaned our gear (tent, boots, pads) as they can look for agricultural debris: and yes, they inspected our tent. Knives with locking blade are illegal in at least England. Of course, when travelling back into the USA, there are a lot of restrictions as well. My 2 cents.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For my UL packs, I put them in a Walmart duffle bag.  Wrapped in a single layer of recycled cardboard between the pack and the duffle bag if I’m still worried about it.

Trekking poles I put the tips in a short section of cardboard mailing tube.

Stove is either a BRS-3000T and I buy canisters at a REI, Walmart or Sportsman’s Warehouse at my destination (although for remote sites, I’ve bought canisters of Amazon for USPS delivery to me, General Delivery); or an alcohol stove, well dried out in the sun, and purchase alcohol locally.  I have pre-positioned butane and alcohol in a few remote parts of Alaska and in the Aleutians.

There are some hunters on here and my big tip for them is that your locked gun case can go inside of a duffle bag.  Then you can put other gear in the duffle to bring it up to 50 pounds and minimize your checked-bag count.  If one of your hunting buddies has a cheap 3-gun case, you can all put your rifles into that and use your free baggage allowance on other gear.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I check my pack full of gear inside a contractor’s trash bag. Not compactor, contractor. It’s a very large sturdy plastic bag that builders use to put things like bent nails in; it won’t tear. The pack with bear canister and everything in it easily fits into this trash bag. They zip tie it shut at the airport after inspection.

I pack the backpack totally differently for flying than when I’m hiking. All the more “fragile” stuff goes in the very middle, surrounded by clothing, sleeping bag, etc. to cushion it. So that’s things like stove, water filter, headlamp, anything that could break or get damaged, in the middle. I take apart my trekking poles completely, strap them together and cover the pointy ends with duct tape. Those go inside the pack, again surrounded by other stuff.

I carry on board the airplane a very lightweight “slack pack,” with lithium batteries, phone/money etc, inReach, binoculars, sunglasses, and matches or lighters. Plus anything I need for travel.

This system has worked super well, no futzing around at the airport. So far I haven’t saved the trash bag; I buy another one for the return flight rather than carrying it because it’s heavy. In the U.S. every Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. will have contractor trash bags. I leave the used one where someone can re-use it, like a hostel, relative’s house, etc. so not totally wasteful.

I buy bear spray and gas canisters upon arrival.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

It really helps with the whole TSA thing if you pay the bribe and join the pre check crowd. They used to regularly explore my genitalia when I went through security to the point where I almost got hauled away for screaming at an agent. I paid their $85 bribe and now I sail through. They don’t look at my bag very often either.

On the post-trail hygiene thing – sheesh. If there’s water at all on trail, it’s really not hard to clean yourself up a bit, as well as your clothes. I don’t see a reason to be so stinky! Cmon people.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools