Topic

First MYOG Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG Pack

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

First Post…

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Gray xpac x21 RC for sides and roll top

Black x21rc for front and back.

Black x51 for bottom and left/right panels next to hipbelt wings as reinforcements for connection.

Hex 70 PU3k for straps.

Gossamer Gear mesh (mesh from their front panels) for front pocket.

Copied the GG pad holder using Powermesh

Shoulder straps are 1/4” fy20 foam and 1/4” 3D mesh, very cushy

Hipbelt is 1/8” 12lb Eva foam laminated to 1/4” fy20 foam with 1/8” spacer mesh. It’s the perfect stiffness and still feels cushy.

Stays are 7075-t6 aluminum bars 1/8” x 1/2” wife from OnlineMetals.

Stay sleeves are sewn to the outside of the back panel with a Velcro flap at the top that is accessible just to the edge of the pad holder. The stays exit at the bottom of the back panel and insert into closed-bottom sleeves sewn to the back of the hip belt for a positive connection.

I decided to use the pocket arrangement as the Mariposa so that the tall pocket can holder my 2l bladder and my tarp while the other side is standard to hold my drinking bottle.

i have some finishing touches like sewing strap ends and adding the sternum strap but it’s mostly done. What I was after here was a large framed pack to supplement my  Quickstep for longer trips or when the kids go out with us and I have to be the pack mule.

Final details

The dims are 11”w x 7”d x 35”t fully unrolled.

It weighs 30.4 oz with the frame stays and the sit pad. I’ll take it for the comfort and durability plus being waterproof.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Wow, amazing looking LW MYOG pack. How long did it take you to make it? Are the shoulder straps straight, S-shaped like MLD or J-shaped like GG?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

It took way too long, maybe 16-20 hours. For the straps, I actually copied the straps from my wife’s GG Gorilla.

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

Looks awesome! Nice detail work.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

This looks like a good design. Full wrap belt and stay pockets. That’s how we did our foray into pack making with that bear canister concept. It works really well at weight transfer. There’s considerable point loading at the bottom of those belt sleeves, tho.

Are we thinking 45-50 liter?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Impressive work! Nice job getting crisp corners on the edges of the hipbelt and shoulder straps, they look good.

One thing I would have done different is the bottom of the stays, I would have ended those sleeves farther up. I suspect that the foam will compress there and they will start digging into your rear end after a few trips. Also, if you haven’t already make sure to round all sharp edges on the ends of the stays.

And welcome to the pack making hobby addiction. I made my first one 3 years ago and now every pack I own is one I made (I’ve made 4, with 2 in current use). I’m probably going to make a lighter canyoneering pack this winter, that will be number 5.

What’s the weight of the stays?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

After two rolls the height comes out right at 30” so the main compartment should be right around 38l. Without doing the ping pong ball test, I’d bet the outside comes out to at least 15l considering the massive stretch mesh front pocket (the size was intentional, what can I say, I like external pockets) and the one long side pocket.

The stays are 4.3oz for the pair but man they’re solid. The sleeve portion on the hip belt is actually a piece of heavy nylon webbing that is folded in half so the bottom of the stay pushes into the fold and not just a row of stitching. I’m hoping it holds up well but I’m optimistic.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Looks great! How did you do the seams and the bottom of the pack? Square/round?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I chose to use a square bottom for ease of construction.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Dig it.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks great Hoosier. That red really pops.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

A work of beauty – nice job!

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Nice work!  16-20 hours to make it is way too long? Seriously?  That seems like it’s approaching commercial manufacturing speed to me.  2.5 eight hour work days?  You must be a madman with the sewing machine!  It took me at least 40 hours to make my down jacket, and your pack looks more complicated.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Nice work, Hoosier!

It looks like you bar tacked the shoulder strap daisy chains all the way through the foam, and not just to the top layer of fabric.

What kind of machine did you use for this?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, all. I did bar tack through the foam. The machine I’ve used for all my gear is my Singer Sewmate from WalMart. It has been fantastic.

Jesse Jakomait
    BPL Member

@jakomait

Impressive pack!  Lots of attention to detail in that thing!

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Great looking pack!  How does it carry?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I haven’t loaded up much weight but I stuffed some quilts in it and it feels great. I’ll be doing a test run with it next weekend at red river gorge. I am going to seam rip part of the collar and angle the shoulder straps a little more. As it stands, I can feel that there might be a little bit of rubbing on my neck with enough walking.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Great stuff! What’s the red fabric? I don’t see it in your list.

I agree with Craig that 16-20 hours is great for a first go. My two MYOG packs were much simpler and I’m pretty sure they took me well over 20 hrs each.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, Dan. The red fabric is Hex70 PU3k from RSBTR. It’s a little lighter than normal pocket/strap material but I’m confident it will hold up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools