Topic

First myog hammock with removable bugnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First myog hammock with removable bugnet

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

My very first hammock. With a removable bugnet made out of a #3 ykk coil zipper.

Suspension from amsteel and uhmwpe webbing.

Fabric 1.6oz HyperD and 0.67 noseeum

Weight 566grams with suspension

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That looks like a nice solution! Very comfortable. Why are the ends of the top covered with solid fabric? Just curious.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Looks great!  Nice too that you have trees in your yard where you can hang it.  I tried using a tie-out on one of my hammocks once.  I wasn’t thinking about it when I plopped into my hammock they way I usually do and the stake pulled out and went flying.  I spent 20 minutes looking in the leaves before I found it.  I don’t mind a little rocking so I don’t bother with the tie-outs, but they sure make a nice photo!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hahahaha I had that happen once too although the stake stayed attached to the tieout. The are nice with a bugnet, the tension can keep the net off your head.

Christine H
    BPL Member

@purplebird7

Beautiful work.  Looks great.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

The end caps are the same fabric as the hammock it self. One has the zipper attached to it, and the other one the zipper is attached to the hem underneath the end cap. So I can put the zipper tape in the gathered end it is sealed shut. This way I can still fully remove the net if necessary.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I try really hard not to backpack when bugs are a big issue, but if I do I use my Dutchware Halfwit and haven’t any issues with the netting hitting my face.  I tried one of the tulle bug nets with some small clips once and it was in my face all of the time in the smallest breeze.  It was less than an ounce, but it didn’t work in the field so it was a wasted ounce.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

I came across the half wit/hug netting after I already cut my mesh :)

But it looks a giodniotion for v2 ;)

I have absolutely no experience yet with a hammock. Looking forward using it and see what works for me.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Fun that you did a MYOG hammock without ever trying one.  What are your hammock dimensions?  I’ve found that I sleep best in an 11-foot hammock with a structural ridgeline to keep it hanging consistently every time.  My lightest hammock, a Grand Trunk Nano 7, weighs less than 10 ounces (with straps and whoopie slings) but I can’t get any kind of a diagonal lay in it because it’s not long/wide enough.  My daughters like it though.

Have you thought about insulation for under your hammock?  IME that’s more important than my top quilt in terms of sleeping comfort.  CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome) is very real and is not a fun way to spend the night.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

I figured I have to start some where ;) and there aren’t a lot of options in the Netherlands.

I wanted something light but roomy.

I used this pattern

And I used the exact same dimension.

I have 2 quilt both with 6 oz apex one for me and one for my wife. I was going to use those first to see how it works. My quilt doesn’t have a zipper but all loops. I can use those loops as a suspension for the hammock (that’s the idea any way :)) but I think I’m going to make some down quilts too to reduce bulk. But first test this setup and see how I like it.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I think you’ll be really happy with it – the length will allow you to be really comfortable.  Well done!  Be sure to post a report (in the Hammocks forum) when you’re able to use it on a trip.

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

Thanks I will! 😊👍

Amber
    BPL Member

@amberg

That looks amazing! I added a zippered bug net to my hammock a couple of weeks ago for an upcoming hike. Definitely not as simple and straight forward as I’d imagined. Not only did it take me FOREVER, but it doesn’t look half as nice as yours, and I’ll have to stuff something at the gap on either end of the netting, where the ridgeline comes through, to make sure it’s bug proof. That’s the part I had so much trouble with. And your first hammock??! Oy. Nice job!

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

The way I added the zipper is basically like this

YouTube video

I first did a rolled hem and then the zipper.

The first pass to sew the zipper on was with a zipper foot. Then I turned the zipper over. I switched to a regular foot. If I then do the needle all the way to the left I have the exact edge of the zipper tape. And then full blast ;) aligning it with to hands as you go.

Then I usually do another pass with the needle to the most right position.

Benefit of this system for me is that the zipper teeth are on the right side of the foot. And it keeps the zipper aligned.

I hope you get the idea in how I did it.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Using the .67 is much easier than the .5 Noseeum. Your hammock looks awesome and comfy, I have a desire to try hammock camping some day, and will definitely go the MYOG route, as it is a simple project (well, the bugnet  is a little work ;) )

Joost D
    BPL Member

@gamemaster84

It’s a fun project! And not too hard.

I’ve watched the videos of jellyfish over and over. And if course the hammockforums.

Have fun ;)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools