Topic

Feedback Please: Dumping the Old Gear Swap Forum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Feedback Please: Dumping the Old Gear Swap Forum

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hey everyone.

BPL is thinking about deleting the content in the old Gear Swap Forum. This would increase the speed of the whole site because GS represents a large chunk of our database. The old GS Forum has been locked since we debuted the new Member Gear Swap so it’s not going to change anything about how people list items for sale. The question here is: Should we keep the archive of the old Gear Swap Forum around? If yes, why do you want it around still?

Our current plans for development include upgrading the new Member Gear Swap in Q3 of this year in order to increase its functionality. We have lots of suggestions about how to do that logged in our system already. I will start another thread soliciting feedback on which features our members are most interested in as we get closer to the Q3 development cycle. Let’s not do that in this thread right now, please.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Dump it.  If the site was locked, it added little value anyway.  Am I wrong?

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Agree . Dump it.

Surprised its been left up for so long

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Dump it.

It’s annoying to search for a piece of gear and 90% of the hits are from the old GS.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dump.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

ditch it – agree with Chris K – more annoying than anything

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that’s why we call it the present……..”

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Dump it, BUT, there is value in having access to historical data, so perhaps it would be possible to archive it somewhere? I have no idea how this would impact BPL, but it’s something to keep in mind.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Dump it – but PLEASE make the new swap more functionable. It’s pretty bad…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Should have ditched it yesterday!

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I’m with dumping.  i only remember looking up an old listing once in more than 10 years for something that I had bought just to get some construction details. On a related note, I’ve found my browsing of the new gear swap to have dropped considerably after the change. It just doesn’t seem as convenient to quickly peruse for some reason.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Dump it. Then again, I’ve been a proponent of dumping pretty much most of the old posts in all forums, not just gear swap, though I know that’s not a popular opinion among the old folk here.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the responses. We will be purging the old forum over the weekend.

@paulw
    – I hear you regarding the potential value of some old posts – Chris gives a use case above where he wanted to see a detail of something that had been posted on the old GS. This is a case of a cost/benefit analysis and we think the benefit of speeding up the site is worth the cost of very occasional access to an old post.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

I agree with cost/benefit calculation. Once per decade for me, probably less for other people, not a compelling case. I look forward to a quicker site. Given the time limited value of old GS posts are you going to apply that to the new GS? Would that be of benefit? After say 12-18 months?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve never had a need or desire to search out old Gear Swap threads on BPL.  I occasionally check “sold items” on eBay to get a sense of a “market price” but 1) that’s out 4.3 gazillion sales so it has more relevance and 2) it doesn’t affect the speed of searching.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a good point about purging the new GS after a time period. 12 or 18 months feels like a good increment.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Before purging other BPL sections, consider opening them up to the Internet Archive to preserve for posterity, future researchers, and the occasional decade diver:

https://web.archive.org

Because it’s not allowed now:

— Rex

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools