Topic

Feedback Please: Do you browse when logged out?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Feedback Please: Do you browse when logged out?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We have long had complaints from members who frequently browse BPL while logged out. The complaint has been that posts don’t show up for a number of hours because of our caching settings when logged out.

We adjusted the cache settings this morning and would like some feedback from users to see if the issue has improved. I just did some quick tests of posts when logged in/out and everything appears to be synchronized but we’d like to hear from our users that have historically had problems with this issue.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I do not. Thread responses to not display (only the OP) when not logged in.  Pretty useless IMO.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I think I’m always logged in. Its weird when I click on and I am logged out. I feel naked or something missing.  That and I am always browsing on here to kill time and find something interesting..

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@JCH – All threads or only specific threads? Can you give me a link or two? I’d like to see if I can replicate the issue.

@dirtbag
    – Same. I never log out except when the token expires.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Nope, logged in before browsing

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Because I worked in computer security for many years (among many other tasks), I routinely log out and clear history/caches/… many times a day, along with near-permanent “private browsing” which drives some web sites nuts.

So yes, my first browse through BPL Recent Forum Topics is logged out. If anything looked new and interesting, I’ve logged in and dug deeper.

Appreciate that the cache settings are better now, especially if it helps with the “off-trail” errors. All the posts in this thread showed up before I logged in to post this one.

— Rex

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

When it auto logs me out, sometimes I don’t notice that I’m missing stuff.  But if I’m half awake I notice the “Guest” stuff and log back on.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

nm

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Works for me now. Appears to show all messages when logged out.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We are still looking for more feedback on this issue. If some people would be willing to check the difference between post counts in threads when logged in vs. logged out that would be helpful. The question here is: Do you see fewer posts in threads when logged out?

If you are seeing differences in post counts when you are logged in and logged out, screenshots would be very appreciated!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I am seeing identical thread counts whether logged in or out, and when logged out I am now seeing thread responses whereas previously I only saw the OP of each thread.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

My experience, before and now, same as JCH’s.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

It is my intent to be logged on when browsing the sight.  Might be occasions where i start out off but then when i see it I login.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I get logged out sometimes, and have definitely noticed when I can’t see some posts until logged in. No longer seeing that – thank you.

I’ve been doing a little testing, and am sometimes seeing the opposite… Where I’m seeing more posts in a thread than shown in the thread list. Example screen shots below: Thread list shows top Poncho thread has 8 posts, but clicking through shows 9. All screenshots while not logged in. Loggin in shows correct 9 posts in thread list.

Of course, it could just be Rex in stealth mode…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools