Topic

External frame packs – ie, Coleman Peak 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) External frame packs – ie, Coleman Peak 1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cyndy b
    BPL Member

@triskele

Locale: Somewhere in the Southwest

Hi folks,

I’m an old timer here but MIA for a long time!  Part of that is due to a long standing injury in my upper back, so I haven’t been backpacking a whole lot, in recent years.  My spine seems ‘fine’ according to MRI, but I have partial rotator cuff tears and some sort of not-quite-healed-right muscle tear on the inner edge of my shoulder blade near the spine, that can cause TONS of pain in a backpack if any weight is on my shoulders.

So I got to thinking.  I think I’ve read in a few places that external frame packs ‘force the weight on the hips’.  Is there any truth to that statement?

Back in the day – in the 1980’s, (yes I’m old :) ) my first backpack was one of those flexible external frame packs made by Coleman.  I kinda grew to hate the way it snagged on things, but I don’t recall ever being uncomfy in it.  I see there are some listed on EBay – my old one is long since gone – but I have no idea how long my old one was.  Which brings me to my next question: I stand 5’6″ with a 16 1/2″ torso – would it be likely that a pack of this sort for me should be the 28″ size?  I found 28″ and 35″ sizes that people are selling… 35″ seems like it would probably be pretty tall, if I hold a tape measure along my side!  Anyone have one of these old packs and can hazard a guess?  (the frames do go down a good bit South of the hip belt, so the sizing is nothing like on an internal frame pack.)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey stranger. Any well fitted framed, external or internal pack with a good hipbelt can accomplish that. The shoulder straps just keep the pack against your back.

Have not seen you since the Stuart Fork trip many moons ago.

cyndy b
    BPL Member

@triskele

OMG, Ken; the hammock man!  ;)  I remember you, and that trip.  Yes, it’s been a long – too long- time.  I need to update my profile, here; I’m in AZ, now.

Yes, I know the shoulder straps ‘should’ just keep the pack against ones’ back, but in practice I have had a tough time of that, all too often.  Even when it seems the weight is sitting on my hips, I end up with upper back pain lately that I can’t seem to resolve.  I’ve been a fan of heavy packs/light gear, because I prefer well padded hip and shoulder straps, and durable packs.  But I’m rethinking that now, and wondering what I haven’t tried.  I’m going to be trying out an Aarn pack, but I wondered if trying an external frame pack might be helpful.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Try an external, though most stores, if they carry them, will have a limited selection. The important thing with any pack is fit of course. If any large retailers like REI are near you and have something in stock that you can return if it doesn’t work out will be a plus. Normally a well designed internal should be fine and most externals are pretty similar in design and should work too, but you have a special need so trying on a lot of packs will probably be necessary. Load the pack up with weights in the store. If you find one you like you might want to bring your gear with you to put in the pack while at the store if returns aren’t easy to do.

Jose Beltran
    BPL Member

@josebeltran

Locale: East Bay, San Francisco area

Hi Cyndi,

I will say that for your height you need to use the 28 inch frame.  I modified one for me that I had to cut the top because it was too tall for me.  (35)  .  If you go to the give away forum you will find that I have 2 packs there that you can claim.  I also have the womens straps and belt that can be used with these frames.  If you have interest let me know.

Thanks,

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I recently purchased a Seek Outside external frame backpack. It comes with a 24″ frame and you can get both 2″ and 4″ frame extenders which I have. Here is an excellent article written by one of the guys at SO regarding frame height along with a video on external frame backpack fit:

https://seekoutside.com/blog/which-frame-height-is-right-for-me/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxG6L8yAwfc

I think you should be looking at a 24″-28″ frame.  I run my pack at 26″ (using the 2″ extenders) but I’ve got a 19.5″ torso. This pack is new for me so I haven’t had it out yet with 30+ pounds but will definitely adjust it to 28″ when there is that type of weight in it.

While the backpacking community uses internal frames for the most part, the hunting community uses external packs exclusively. Companies like Seek Outside, Kirafu, EXO, and others cater to the hunting community. I love my external frame and will never go back to an internal.

Jack R. Abbit
    BPL Member

@kuhlwind

Locale: Just over the Edge

Hello cyndy b,

I come from that same time era. Before actually. I feel the same way and have yet to find a internal frame packs to give the same fit. Ironically the most comfortable pack I have is an external frame. Last year I got the new Seek outside Gila. so +1 on the seek outside packs. I absolutely love how it feels. Puts the load right where it should be, on the hips. Customer service is outstanding too.

I’ve had three coleman peak 1 packs over the years and trying them on does not feel the same. Materials have got way better. In fact I probably still have one you can have. I think the idea with those were, there was so many slots to adjust anything you could dial in your load. Ya, know, have plenty of room to put the latest light weight coleman canvas sleeping bag underneath. You remember the ones-8+ pounds.

It feels so good I’ve really been tempted to carry it on my first long trail next year- the CDT. My base weight now is around 11 lbs, but I struggle with the fact that it weighs 41 OZ.

My torso is the same 19.5 and the 24 inch works for me great. I don’ t use the extenders because my load is lighter. But I have them and can add anytime.

if I can find the coleman, I’d be happy to measure it for you, or send it to you. just let me know. Good luck

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I third Seek Outside Packs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Fourth. Divide 4500 here.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

+1 Seek Outside Divide. Yes, it’s a little heavy, but makes every pound in it feel three quarters the weight.

cyndy b
    BPL Member

@triskele

I have to laugh, @Ken, because until Gumbo chimed in, I read you literally, and thought you were telling me to divide 4 by 4500 and come up with less than one, as your recommendation… ;)

I’m not opposed to a pack with some weight; but Yowza that price.. bit on the high side.  If the Aarn I ordered doesn’t work for me, though, I’ll take a deeper look at this company; I’d never heard of them up ’til now.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hurt to spend it, though not to wear it. Good luck on your quest.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Cyndy – until 6 months ago I had never heard of Seek Outside either. It is a small, cottage-industry provider of backpacks and tents and they specialized initially in the hunting community. People who had to backpack in, make a kill, and haul out a tremendous weight of meat.

Now, they cater to both the hiking and hunting communities. I would strongly encourage you to take a look at them. They have two lines of backpacks…integrated packs and breakaway packs. The former is what you and I are used to. The breakaway pack enables the user to add another bag or pack to the existing pack and have it supported on a “shelf”. Most hikers opt for the integrated pack as they are marginally lighter (2oz-5oz) and they don’t envision a time when they’d use the breakaway function.

I chose the breakaway pack also know as the Revolution platform as I backpack often alone and wanted to be able to easily remove my bag and load up the pack with large, heavy branches for a fire.

For what it’s worth, I also have a ZPacks backpack and a McHale pack. There is no pack I’ve owned that Ive found to be more functional and particularly more comfortable than the Seek Outside. I’m now a believer. I chose the large-volume pack, the Fortress 6,300, which has a massive ~100L main bag that is waterproof and rolls down into a small size when the capacity isn’t needed. I wanted to be able to use it in winter as well and the total capacity is about 130L and that is without counting the two side pouches that each hold two nalgeen bottles! I may  also separately buy the Gila bag and use it in place of the Fortress 6300 bag on overnight hikes.

Their Gila 3500 and the Divide 4500 are their quintessential hiker’s backpacks. I’ve only heard great things about them. The other feature that is nice with all of their packs is you could get the Gila 3500 and separately purchase the Unaweep 6,300 bag for times when you needed more capacity. You can remove the Gila bag, replace it with the Unaweep bag, and off you go.

I can’t sing enough praise for their backpacks and would recommend you check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_nun_GZ4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7BfOIWj9Fc

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

The greatest amount of information can be found at Rokslide.com which is where I stumbled across them.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

I’m another one who has converted to the Seek Outside platform. Thanks to the seductions of Gear Swap I suddenly find myself with a Divide 3000 and an Evolution frame. I’m keeping them both.

For perspective, my 1st frame pack was a Sears Hillary about 40 years ago, in the same era I had a Kletterwerks Matterhorn frameless pack in which I sometimes carried 50 pounds. In the interim I’ve had frame packs from Kelty (several), Knu-pac, and Dana; and internal frame packs from North Face, Lowe, and Golite.

The Seek Outside packs are not the lightest for UL backpacking, and for truly awkward loads like moose hindquarters they probably aren’t the best. But for the 90% of loads in between these two extremes they are surprisingly comfortable, and they are quite light in their lightest configurations like the Gila or Divide.

I’ll put it this way: all my life I’ve been looking for a more comfortable pack. But since I started using the Divide in April I’m not really looking for a new pack; the honeymoon shows no sign of ending.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools