Topic

Experience with "inverted V" pitch on mids (DPTE)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Experience with "inverted V" pitch on mids (DPTE)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I’ve enjoyed using my TT Notch for many years but I’m considering a Locus Gear Khufu to replace it for more space, better bad weather performance, and a simpler pitch. To get more space, I’d prefer to use the 2/3 inner, but I don’t like the idea of having a pole in the inner. The DPTE seems like a nice solution, but I’ve read the pitch is more finicky. I would appreciate feedback on the DPTE or similar inverted V solutions. I wasn’t able to find a video online.

Thank you.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have used the Solomid XL in an inverted V and have a Duomid and two pole extenders that I am going to try on my next few trips.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Similar to Brad, I have a Duomid that I pitch in the inverted V configuration, using a couple of carbon fiber pole jacks from Zpacks.

Pitching with the inverted V isn’t really much more difficult or tricky than pitching with one pole. I stake out the tent as usual, put up one pole in the center or offset position, put in the back pole and then resposition the first pole along the door zip line.

I much prefer pitching with the trekking pole handles at the apex, where they stay clean and away from critters (some chew them for the salt!) and there’s no issue with a naked, sharp tip causing a problem.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

On my Solomid XL, I do as Bob does and pitch it with handles up, on the Duomid the few times I have used it, I have put the trekking pole extenders up.  My poles are 135 and aren’t long enough to reach without extensions.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Do it! I’m waiting for my Khufu to arrive. It’s replacing a LG Hapi. The DPTE makes it seem gigantic inside. Worth the 2-3 oz added weight. Easy to use but after buying it from LG I’d just make one next time with some duct tape and pvc and save the money. Also, check out the “party hat” on hikeitlikeit.com. It’s a bpl member’s (Jacob D) blog. The “party hat” is a 3D printed dual pole adapter that’s more stable. You can go to fedex/kinkos stores to get them printed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 w/Bob, and Brad.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

One thing I have found is that it helps if your pole jacks have a tight, secure fit onto the tips of your trekking poles…it helps to eliminate wobble.   I was surprised at the large diameter of the tubes that came with the Locus Gear DPTE…they wobbled with whatever pole I used.    After some experimentation with various jack/pole combinations,  I’ve found that the Z Packs/Ruta Locura carbon fiber pole jacks fit very well on the tips of the BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles, and keep wobble to a minimum.

I wonder if it’s possible to use the tips of the Alpine Carbon Corks on other poles?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Rob P, good to know. I started w/the DTPE & Khufu this summer — also using BD Carbon Corks, and wanted to work something out for that wobble. Also wanted extenders a touch longer. Did you recreate the connector bit between the two extenders?

What I do really like about the DTPE is the part that goes around the pole handles and connects underneath with cord. Made me much less concerned about knocking things out of place.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Surely there is an opportunity here for some cottage industry to produce an integrated V bipole with ultralight pole components, with modified  “party hat” or DPTE, so the whole assembly weighs very little and collapses into a tidy package for transit. Maybe the CF pole sections have inner sleeves/stops and shock cord, to avoid the weight of the flip-locks or the older expanders. A really elegant solution is needed, crafted by some dedicated purist fanatic designer. Whilst I love my Khufu, and appreciate the DPTE which I use with CP3s, I get really annoyed that the poles are floppy in the DPTE. It spoils the aesthetics – the Khufu form is pure, but the CP3/DPTE combination is not. Also, I’m now swinging back to using just one pole again when trekking, so a very light weight easy-to-assemble and collapse package that did not use the trekking pole(s) would be the cat’s pajamas…

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Katherine,

One thing I did was to remove the Locus Gear tubes from the DPTE and insert some Seek Outside pole jacks into the DPTE.  Since the diameter of the Seek Outside pole jacks was smaller than that of the Locus Gear tubes, I had to tape them in with electrical tape.  I used electrical tape because I wanted tape I could remove easily in case I found better fitting pole jacks.

Later, I ordered some 12 inch Z Packs carbon fiber pole jacks, and after that, some 16 inch carbon fiber pole jacks from Ruta Locura.  These fit the tips of the Alpine Carbon Corks better than the Seek Outside pole jacks.  I have yet to tape these into the DPTE, but I have used the 16 inch jacks in my Duomid with my BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles, handles up.  (By the way, the Z Packs and Ruta Locura pole jacks look identical to me in material and diameter).

I may end up taping the 16 inch jacks into the DPTE, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Nice little trick you can use for wobbly pole jacks… the basic concept is to modify the pole jack so that it has a custom fit with your trekking pole tips. Your trekking pole tip is used to make a molded piece in the end of the pole jack that exactly matches the trekking pole tip.

You will need some JB Kwik, some Vaseline, a tiny piece of closed-cell foam (CCF) and, for clean-up, some rubbing alcohol and some paper towels.

Step 1 – Thoroughly clean and dry the trekking pole tip and then rub some Vaseline onto the pole tip, lightly coating all surfaces that will be inserted into the pole jack. The Vaseline is a release agent that will permit the pole to be pulled out once the JB Kwik has cured.

Step 2 – Insert the CCF down into the pole jack just past the depth of the trekking pole tip when it is fully inserted into the pole jack. The CCF acts as a ‘dam’ that keeps the JB Kwik in the tip of the pole jack, where you need it.

Step 3 – Mix up the JB Kwik and pour it into the end of the pole jack. You only have to fill it about halfway because the trekking pole tip will take up a lot of volume.

Step 4 – Insert the Vaseline-coated trekking pole tip into the pole jack, which will cause some the JB Kwik to ooze out. Wipe this with paper towels and rubbing alcohol to clean up.

Step 5 – Carefully check the alignment to make sure the pole jack and trekking pole are in a straight line and let the JB Kwik cure.

Step 6 – Once the JB Kwik has cured thoroughly, grasp the trekking pole in one hand and the pole jack in the other and gently bend back and forth where the trekking pole tip and pole jack meet. They should separate fairly easily because of the Vaseline release agent.

Note: JB Kwik does indeed cure very quickly, so have all your items ready to go as soon as you’ve mixed it up.

Voila! You now have some custom fit pole jacks!!

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Now that is very cool….thanks Bob!

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Tarptent sells Trekking Pole Handle Adapters for $4 each. These tie in place, through a grommet at the peak where a pole tip would normally be inserted.  Not sure what a Khufu has at the peak but give this product a look.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

We use the LG DPTE in our LG Hapi. Overall, we’re hapi with it (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Like Don said, it really opens up the inside. The actual mechanism isn’t perfect though. We use Cascade Mountain Tech poles, and the DPTE diameter swallows them, like others noted. However, I don’t find the wobble to be a problem at all once it’s in place, and we’ve camped in some high winds.

I find the problem to be with the poles staying in the DPTE as you’re trying to pitch it. Because the poles aren’t a perfect fit, they fall out of the DPTE while in the act of pitching the tent. The top part of the DPTE (the cloth-like part that holds the two carbon extenders in the A shape, and makes contact with the tent roof) also needed to be taped to the carbon extenders. Once in awhile, that would slip off while pitching.

In sum: highly recommend an A frame pitch. The DPTE that LG sells is finicky during tent set-up, but as others said you could probably make modifications or even your own.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a MLD DuoMid. I use the Gossamer Gear pole extenders with my LT4 trekking poles for a inverted  “V” pitch. Works great and is rock solid.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a cuben MLD Solomid, and often pitch it in the inverted V.  No need for pole extenders either. Works great, but on the other hand, I’ve never had it in storm like conditions.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Has anyone ever tried making threaded inserts in the pole javk that would allow the tips of BD poles to screw into the pole jacks using the threads for the baskets?

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>Just read about these advanced carbon pole jacks from ruta Luca, anyone ever tried them?</p>

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Has anyone ever tried making threaded inserts in the pole javk that would allow the tips of BD poles to screw into the pole jacks using the threads for the baskets?

Not really necessary… friction, gravity and compression do a pretty good job!

The “advanced” pole jacks appear to be made just like regular pole jacks but wrapped on a custom mandrel to get a better match to pole tip diameter.

For minor mismatches with stock poles you can always shave down the pole tips a bit with a Dremel if the tip diameter is too large, or make a custom mold inside the pole jack as I described a few posts above if the tip is too small; I’ve used both techniques with no problems.

Speaking of pole jacks, baskets, etc, here’s another useful mod if you camp on snow.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools