Topic

Everything is lightweight except for my backpack.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Everything is lightweight except for my backpack.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

One might favor a frameless pack for what they want to carry. Another might want a framed pack for what they want to carry. The only generalizations which can be made which will be true for everyone are 1) the most comfortable pack is the best as long as it carries what you want it to, and 2)the lightest pack is the best as long as it is also the most comfortable and it carries what you want it to.

John L
    Spectator

@little-john

Locale: West

I have a 22oz pack that is supposed to be rated up to 4olbs. I find it very comfortable on most trips where I stay below 25lbs. I have found that 25lbs is the max comfort rating for me with that pack. I have another pack that weighs 48oz. The manufacturer also claims a 40lb rating. This one I believe. I use this pack if I am going to be on a trip of 7 days or longer or 7 days between resupply points. I also use it for trips where I have to carry more water than my usual 2 liters. This pack is very comfortable over the 25lb.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

All generalizations are wrong.

I think this is the right answer. I almost always carry a light frameless pack on backpacking trips. I’m really happy with it up to about 25 pounds. Others would complain about it. I suspect we  have different strengths in our bodies.

My usual backpacking pack has a fairly nice hipbelt, and I like it. But I have used packs without a hipbelt and have enjoyed them at lower weights. I’ve seen a lot of really fast backpackers preferring a frameless, hipbeltless pack. I suspect they are a little stronger than me and wear it easier.

I have a light frame for my backpack that I use to carry climbing gear. I think the frame benefits me for carrying heavy climbing gear.

I think you just have to try them out and see what works for your body with the weight you are carrying.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I think you just have to try them out and see what works for your body with the weight you are carrying.

This is the correct answer.

Amber
    BPL Member

@amberg

I’ve been asking myself the same thing lately. For example, I just went out with an 11 1/2lb base weight – or 8 1/2lbs of gear in a 3lb pack. A simple pack change could’ve gotten me to a long coveted sub-10lbs.

BUT I realize that’s just the numbers game that’s playing with my head. For me, that 3lb pack is comfortable, whether I’m carrying 10lbs or 30lbs, and quite often I AM carrying close to 30lbs, including food and water. Once I can afford another pack, I’d like to have a nice, UL pack for when I’m able to get by with an UL load. Until then, I’ll happily carry the one that’s comfortable no matter what’s inside.

Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

Locale: Appalachia

I really like a framed backpack, that is logically loaded!

Most of the weight of a framed backpack is negligible because it’s distance from the axis of the spinal column is so small.

Torque Force (N) = Distance × mass (kg) × Gravity (m/s²)

I have found that if I can get food (always my heaviest item) packed flat up against frame I am also much more comfortable!

Most food packing systems I tried bulged out from the frame and increased torque force. Recently I started packing food into a modified Tyvek postal envelope that has a maximum width of 2.75 inches, and I am really noticing the weight placement difference on the torque force.

To make the food sleeves I put a thin strip of tape (Tyvek) down center of envelope on front and back (keeps thread from ripping through tyvek envelope), then hand sew with button thread, then put a thin piece of tape front and back to cover thread seam. So far quite durable.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hum – interesting.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Really like the idea of carrying your food closer to your back in smaller pouches.  Do you have water bladder close to your back as well?

I have been conducting test hikes with both backpacks and I definitely like the more supportive structure of the Baltoro.  However, if I were to be carrying less than 20lbs of supplies then I may be tempted to swap them out.  I like that the Mariposa lays flat in my tent, my mid back on the other hand likes the support of the Baltoro.  More side by side personal conclusions will be done in the coming months.

It does seem to me that the weight of a heavier backpack is less noticeable than originally thought due to where that extra weight is placed on my body.

Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

@drewdoty1444

I have an REI flash 55 that has side pouches for water bottles. This keeps the water weight pretty close to back also, and if it is cold, I will heat water a bit and drop it down shirt so it rests against belly over the hip belt, and won’t freeze.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s an interesting way to carry food. Thanks for sharing it.

I have found a similar way to carry food right up against my back. I carry several days worth of food packed into a DCF bear bag right in the small of my back. Another couple days are into a gallon ziplock farther up the pack. Both bags of food are carefully packed into neat, flat packages the side of a chunky book.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Do you have water bladder close to your back as well?
    I use 1.25 L PET bottles instead, but yes, they do go right against my back. Clothing and light food can be further away without problem.

Having the water next to my back means it stays liquid in the snow country too.

Cheers

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I was looking at the Seek Outside Flight Two but for a few ounces more I got the SO Gila. It weighs 2lbs 10oz without the cross stay and can carry 100lbs with no problem. It will carry 30lbs like a dream and will feel like it weighs nothing.

https://seekoutside.com/gila-ultralight-backpack-gray/

And here is the Flight Two

https://seekoutside.com/flight-two-x-pac-spectra/

There are others who use a SO Divide  as it weighs a few ounces more than the Gila but has more room. You’ll still be below 3lbs and carry 100lbs with no problelm.

https://seekoutside.com/divide-ultralight-backpack-gray/

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

can carry 100lbs with no problem.
    Maybe so Will, but can I carry 100 lb with no problem?
    Would I want to?
    But yeah, I know what you mean.

Cheers

Kathryn L
    BPL Member

@klc

this conversation has been really useful — thanks!  You’ve convinced me that I should take my Deuter pack (with ~8lb base weight in it) for an upcoming trip where I’m going to need to take a lot more water than I usually do.  Or at least that I should pack both that and my MLD frameless pack up with my gear and 8 liters of water and walk around my neighborhood for a while to compare.  Pretty sure I know which will win …

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

I agree!  Im going to be using my Baltoro this summer for most of my trips as ill be bringing bear cans and extra gear for dogs.  I did do a rudimentary test with my backpacks and found that the extra weight of the Baltoro was not as noticeable than I had thought it would be.  When comparing the two with 27 lbs in them the Baltoro was way better for me.  My back hurt less with the Baltoro.  Anyways, I’m sure I’ll still be using the Mariposa but for different type of trips.

I obviously still try to keep my weight as low as possible.  It’s tempting to put more into the Baltoro to fill it but im tryna not do that.  One idea I was thinking of was using a bigger stuff sack for my sleeping bag to use the space better.

Daniel Oxnard
    Spectator

@danieloxnard

@klc

Kathyryn, if I was going to lug around 17.6 pounds of water, I would displace some of that weight to the front of my body.

I picked up an old exofficio 100% nylon  fishing  vest (8.7 ounces) a while back that holds 5 pounds of water, my filter, lighter, snacks, sunblock/toothpaste, daily amenities, dirty water bag, butt/knee tarp (2 foot by 1.5 foot tyvek sheet for sitting, kneeling).

I feel like my weight rides better this way, but is it worth the extra 8.7 ozs.?

@drewdoty1444

Rex Sanders sold me on the Turkey oven bag (ultralight heat resistant nylon/crazy durable) for a sleeping bag stuff sack. So glad I made the switch!  0.6 ozs. I snip off the extra bit of nylon at the bottom of the seam, and tape it with Tyvek tape for extra stability, and haven’t had a blown out bag yet.

That is all cold weather sleeping gear, but it is in a turkey oven bag.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools