Topic

Episode 98 | Canister Stoves in the Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 98 | Canister Stoves in the Winter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chase Jordan
    Admin

@chasemilo99-2

Locale: Northeast US

Companion forum thread to: Episode 98 | Canister Stoves in the Winter

In episode 98 of the Backpacking Light podcast we’re going to learn how to get the most out of your ultralight canister stove for winter backpacking.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Great overview.  One thing that I would mention is that with melting snow, the pot size tends to go up and the burn times increase.  The additional weight and heat generation can determine what kind of base you may need to support your stove in the snow.  If I use my Kovea Spider and a large pot, a large base plate is required.

Deliverable power also can become an issue.  If I did a lot of winter camping (invertible stoves), I might choose the MSR WindPro or the Fire Maple Blade II over the Kovea Spider.

BTW, you mention the MSR WindBurner, you should mention the concern about CO emissions.  Particularly if you talk about cooking inside your vestibule.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Just listened to this. I thought the audio quality was was a bit louder and better than the last podcast. I could hear it ok. Thank you Ryan and Chase

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I thought this was a good review. I would be interested in some detailed reviews of various remote inverted canister stoves.

Alan W
    BPL Member

@at-reactor

Yes, please, a comparative review of various inverted cannister stoves. Observe that the Gear Shop does not seem to include any stove of this type.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools