Topic

Episode 74 | Shelter Stakes for Winter Camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 74 | Shelter Stakes for Winter Camping

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: Episode 74 | Shelter Stakes for Winter Camping

Listen Summary In this episode, we address winter shelter stakes for frozen ground, hard snow, and unconsolidated snow. In this Episode: News: Avalanc

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m curious to know what winter snow conditions are like in other areas of the country. Where I live and hike right now (SE Wyoming and Northern Colorada/RMNP), we have frozen ground in the early season (stake hammer + nail stakes) and by now at the higher elevations, very light fluffy powder snow (I use deadmen sticks at treeline and soft fabric anchors to supplement my skis/poles/snowshoes). When I lived in Washington, where the snow was harder, we used picket-type stakes more often. I rarely use them out here.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I just got back from a 2 night trip in Catskills, NY. Originally planned to camp on summit of certain area, but friend I was with did not have proper tent for exposed area.. wind and snow were expected, so we went down into a protected area. The grounds were frozen solid, as were any rocks.. with ice and powder coating of snow. We made camp.. thankfully I always carry my MSR hammer in winter.. we were both able to drive stakes into frozen ground easily and quickly. I was using medium and large DAC V stakes and recently re strung all my guylines with 3mm Lawson Glowire. Worked perfectly.. after 2 nights and 5 inches of snow, sleet and ice,  some wind and gusts.. everything held. In the morning.. 20°F, using the hammer to get stakes out was a beautiful thing.. saved a lot of time for sure..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools