Topic

Enlightened Equipment Rev-HOLE-ation Quilt Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Enlightened Equipment Rev-HOLE-ation Quilt Review (First Looks)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Enlightened Equipment’s new Rev-HOLE-ation Quilt ($335, 24 oz / 686 g) is a fresh take on a classic: The Revelation Quilt.

Tom B
    BPL Member

@tmbebee1

Locale: Northern NY

Looks like the disco version of the Jacks R Better Sierra quilts. :-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have two MLD Spirit quilts (38 & 48) that have “poncho” holes; I think it’s a great idea that adds very little extra weight.  I use them a lot elk hunting- as part of an emergency sleep system, but also very handy when glassing in cold weather- simply pull it over the clothing I’m already wearing.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I feel like them not making this in Apex is missing the main use cases that I can see for this feature. That is:

1. Summer quilt (40-50*) quilt where you would not normally need to bring a puffy, but want something in case you end up sitting around camp later to fight the slight chill. Down vs synth doesn’t matter in this case but leads into #2.
    2. Using that same 40-50* Apex quilt in winter to supplement a 20-30* down quilt to push the temp rating and mitigate condensation. The poncho would also be used to supplement your 3 season down jacket, this eliminatingvthr need for a dedicated winter parka.
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ very valid points; maybe they will offer it in Apex too

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

@Mike I’ve been using a desert MARPAT poncho liner for the same thing but want to upgrade to a proper quilt this hunting season- definitely synthetic in this case.

The EE quilt/poncho looks slick, but definitely more geared for the UL hiker than hunting apps; loft looks too high to sit in the brush while glassing.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Great upgrade but waiting for them to offer it on their Enigmas. Doubt there’ll be much difference for the fashionable but would like to keep the weight savings.

Maybe make the fixed footbox a kangaroo pocket?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

@Mike I’ve been using a desert MARPAT poncho liner for the same thing but want to upgrade to a proper quilt this hunting season- definitely synthetic in this case.

The EE quilt/poncho looks slick, but definitely more geared for the UL hiker than hunting apps; loft looks too high to sit in the brush while glassing.

Craig- the MLD Spirit 48 is pretty good, only 12 oz and packs pretty small

Mike

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m interested but will also wait for an Apex and Enigma configuration.

I would also look at getting this in Multicam or Marpat but for birding.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

^  Was wondering when someone would go there.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@luftspur

If you seek for a quilt with poncho mode using apex insulation take a look at the Sestrals-Poncho from As Tucas. They are selling it for years. It comes with Apex 100/167/233. Its my 3-season quilt for the last three years. For winter I add the Sestrals Quilt (Apex 233).

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

YouTube video

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools