Topic

Enlightened Equipment Booties Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Enlightened Equipment Booties Review

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Companion forum thread to: Enlightened Equipment Booties Review

Community review / giveaway results for the Enlightened Equipment Apex-insulation-filled booties.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

As I read through the reviews, I wondered about using the same layering  techniques for my feet as I do for my torso. I’m no stranger to thick fleece socks like Acorns, but what is needed is a breathable windproof layer: a windshirt for my feet. If im not going to walk in them, they could also be used as stuff sacks. So how about some wind socks to be use with wool or fleece socks?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dale

Um. Why would you need a breathable windproof layer? These are mainly meant for wearing in a tent or in a hut (maybe, cautiously), where there should be no wind. A bit of a new idea.

The idea of using ‘windsocks’ as stuff sacks is a novel one. I don’t think I have ever heard of that idea – but I have never heard of windsocks either. Perhaps you need to MYOG some and let us know how well they work?

Cheers

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Why would you need a breathable windproof layer? These are mainly meant for wearing in a tent or in a hut (maybe, cautiously), where there should be no wind.

Maybe a breathable windlayer could keep them cleaner and be easier to clean&dry than an insulated bootie.  But I doubt I’d bother.

But I do wear insulated booties outside along with waterproof overbooties that have CCF insoles.  My shoes spend the night inside a stuff sack buried in snow … not warm but not as cold as out in the air.  The insulated booties (GooseFeet) plus overbooties let me make midnight trips in search of a peetree and also let me quickly get out to “service an anxious bowel” as often needs doing right away in the morning.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jim

But I do wear insulated booties outside along with waterproof overbooties that have CCF insoles.

Fair enough, but maybe a slightly different application? We just stick our bare feet into our ski boots for a brief trip outside. Temporarily cold feet won’t kill us, and they warm up again pretty quick when back inside.

My shoes spend the night inside a stuff sack buried in snow … not warm but not as cold as out in the air.

Um – not sure about that one. I’ll concede that deep in the snow may be not quite as cold as the outside air at 2 am, but it will still be sub-zero. We stick our ski boots in plastic bags and store them inside the tent overnight. Very often that keeps them above freezing, especially if they are stored near our feet and OFF the ground.  YMMV.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Plenty will be using these with no snow on the ground. Being able to make a brief trip outside without wetting them out would be nice. I like the removable, soled outers that came with my Feathered Freinds down booties.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I’d like to be involved in these kinds of reviews and product testing rounds. I am a life member and somehow I never seem to be aware of when these happen and how to get involved. Can someone please link me to the place where I need to be checking/paying attention in order to be involved in the future please? I have looked around a few times, but so far haven’t seen where or how one would “line up” for this opportunity so to speak…. can anyone give me some advice here please?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Adam

The theory is that they will be advertised in the Gear Testing Channel in the Forums. We seem to hae lost this channel in the change to the new web site. Hopefully, it will return one day.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Roger,

“deep in the snow may be not quite as cold as the outside air at 2 am, but it will still be sub-zero”

Sub-zero centigrade, I assume.  If so, I’ll grant you that.  But not much below zero in northern tier U.S. states if the snow pit reaches ground level.  The temp there is very close to 0C and our reasonably fluffy snow is a very good insulator.

I tend to put the boots on last thing before hitting trail when I can get the blood flowing.

I should also have mentioned that the pit also houses 2-3 liters of water which haven’t ever frozen (yet).

But I can’t dispute that having two human heat sources in double wall tent will keep things a bit warmer.

And of course, there is almost never just one approach that can work.  A good thing about BPL is exposure to things to try.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jim

ground level.  The temp there is very close to 0C and our reasonably fluffy snow is a very good insulator.

We don’t have ‘fluffy snow’ in Oz any more. Wet, sloshy or icy snow – for sure. Sigh. But I know what you mean: we have many animals living under the snow here in Oz in the winter. Hum – I must investigate that a bit more.

the pit also houses 2-3 liters of water which haven’t ever frozen (yet).

Now that IS interesting. Very interesting. Hard facts in place of waffle.

two human heat sources in double wall tent will keep things a bit warmer.

Indeed! Solo has real disadvantages!

never just one approach that can work.  A good thing about BPL is exposure to things to try.

Absolutely. When you stop learning, you start dying.

Cheers

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Roger, thanks for reaffirming that at least I wasn’t totally blind and that it was gone ;)

I hope someone can get around to fixing that soon?

I’m out in the wilderness often enough that it makes sense to try to be involved, plus I think it would be fun.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I wear a men’s size 12 and I see where the XL Sidekicks are for size 9.5 to 11.5. I’m afraid if I go up to the XXL’s my feet will be swimming in them. Anyone who has worn them have input on how the sizing runs on these things?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools