Topic

East Coast/Mid West – Looking to Improve

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists East Coast/Mid West – Looking to Improve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cheerio
    BPL Member

@scottyt

I’ve come a long way in the past 2 years to go light weight. Just 2 years ago my pack weight for an extended weekend trip was around 42lbs, I’ve reduced that by almost 20lbs now.

This was my last trip a couple weekends ago in Allegheny PA, temps were mid 40s during the day, mid 30s at night.

https://lighterpack.com/r/5gvlvj

There’s a couple obvious improvements here, tent, pack, even my sleeping pad. But these are large purchases I need to save up for the next couple years so not looking for advice on those items.

I’m looking for any advice on this list of something I may have missed. Clothing is still tough for me, I’m learning how to layer and what fabrics/types of clothing work for me. Layering is confusing with all the various options and opinions out there!

Thank for the help! Next trip will be a 3-night in Ohio/PA area in November, temps most likely 20s-40s.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Except for the, yes, pack, tent and the pad, you’re pretty much there.  At least when you pull the trigger on the pack, you can go all the way to a 1-1.5 pound, low-volume pack since everything else is pretty light and compact.

And the second biggest weight savings, your tent – you could keep using the Kelty Salida 2 if the weather forecast is dodgy, but try using a tarp at other times (i.e. ease into it).  Then you can see if a tarp (much cheaper) is in your future, or if you need to save up longer for a UL tent.

And, yeah, you could save over 1/2 pound on the sleeping pad.

The few tweaks I see are:

3 pots?  2 at most, but ideally one.

Lint and wax firestarter at an ounce?  Put a few small squares of wax paper in your repair kit.

The last time I used that much compass, I was on a Boy Scout compass course.  And Nixon was President.  If I’m going to be off trail in the dark or fog, I’ll bring a button compass.

550 cord is rarely the best answer despite what preppers think.  Too big for an emergency shoelace, heavier than you need for most applications.  For bear bagging, 2-mm cord suffices.  And for emergency lashings, tent guy lines, clothes line, replacement shoelaces, repairs, etc, I bring 130-pound-test braided Dacron fishing line.  That 3 ounces of 550 cord could be replaced with 1 ounce of 2-mm cord and fishing line that was more versatile.  PM if you want some of the Dacron line.

First aid kit seems a little heavy.  I don’t bring gauze because big injuries tend to be really big and then you’re improvising anyway and ending the trip.  Bring the ankle wrap if you need it, but if it’s an Ace Wrap “just in case”, I’d skip it.

But you’ve mostly got it dialed in (other the pack, tent and pad).  Just keep looking at everything after each trip and take out something you didn’t use.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I agree with everything above but I particularly like David’s suggestion of trying out a tarp on some mild weather trips.

Also a AAA flashlight with a reversible hat clip will save you a couple ounces of headlamp and backup batteries weigh less too). I don’t need more power than one of these provides but you may have different needs than me.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You may have already seen my links for new people but in case you haven’t Here is a link that I give to new members looking to lighten their load  LIGHTENING UP   watch Mike Clelland’s videos on the The Dinky Stuff Part 1 and 2 for sure and there are many links on going lightweight cheaply and how to layer your clothing. For some reason in my newbie help link the Oregon Field Guide Ultralight Hiking video link is down so if you want to watch it(it is worth watching) HERE is another link for you so you can( it starts 8 min 30 sec. into the episode). look at what people have said above and is there some reason you need waterproof boots? Hope this will help with getting the weight down for you although you are doing well so have fun.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

If you’re a dude, sleeping alone, you could skip the extra undies for 2.43 oz.

Cheerio
    BPL Member

@scottyt

All, thank you for the advice!

I will definitely be changing the paracord. Everytime I put it in my bag I questioned it, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

The FAK, yeah the ankle wrap is a big portion of that weight but unfortunately is a neccesity for me. I am prone to spraining ankles bc of past injuries and after spraining one on the trail once and having to make a makeshift wrap from a t-shirt, this is a necessary evil for me.

I’ll look into going to a single pot, main reason I haven’t is bc I really really love the pots I have. I’ve had them for years and I love the natural non stick and handles. I’ll look for a single with those features though, or just leave 1 at home (the 1 is a lid/pan).

The boots I’ll probably get something different next time which is years away, but these are definitely the comfiest boots I’ve ever owned, and good for my ankles.

Also, I’ll try out the tarp thing in the spring! That’s a good idea to test it first before making a decision on change since I’ve only ever used free standing double wall tents.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If  you are worried about your ankles you could always get boots that are a lot lighter, more breathable and dry quickly like these

Lone Peak 4 Mid Mesh .

Cheerio
    BPL Member

@scottyt

Link, I’ll keep those in mind! I know Altras are very popular right now. Those mids are significantly lighter than my current boot.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

When it comes to your pack, I realize you need to save up. Just keep in mind the Backpack Light 70 from My Trail Co.

At just $169, you can save yourself 3 pounds much sooner than much more expensive options from other manufacturers. I just ordered one for my son to use at Philmont.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The MOUNTAINSMITH SCREAM 55 BACKPACK – 2017  is on sale for $99.95 and is also 3 lbs lighter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools