Topic

Dutchware Half-Wit Hammock Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Dutchware Half-Wit Hammock Review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I try to avoid backpacking when I have to worry about heat or bugs, but there are times when you have no choice.  On a mid-July try to the Dolly Sods Wilderness I had a chance to use my Dutchware Half-Wit Hammock for the first time.  It worked great, was really comfortable, and the bug net kept the bugs away from my face and arms.

The Half-Wit is a 10.5-foot hammock with an integrated half bug net – it hangs down to your waist and drapes there to keep weight to a minimum while allowing you to function in the hammock.  Here’s a photo:

If you need a hammock with a permanently attached bugnet you should consider one of these.

Other than living near their operations in Lancaster, PA, I have no association with Dutchware Gear.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I picked up one a few months back and like for the early spring/late fall seasons in SC, when bugs are light to moderate and the temps cooler so I won’t kick the top quilt off of my legs.That’s when I do most of my backpacking anyway. I went with a hexon 1.6, which is super comfy, but have my eye on a hexon 1.0, since it can hold 250 lbs and is 4 ozs lighter.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Yes – the fabric/weight options Dutch has are amazing.  I too went with the Hexon 1.6 for this hammock because I’ll only be using it during bug season meaning that I’ll be using a torso-length UQ (Tewa Summer Breeze) and a very light top quilt (usually my BPL UL60).

On another related note, I used a couple of his other quilt gadgets this trip as well:

• Quilt Hangers – A simple plastic device that makes attaching your UQ even easier
    • Quilt Hooks – (Search for them on his website – I couldn’t post with two links) – I used the clip-on variety and they really seemed to hold my torso-length UQ in place, even though I could only put them on the foot end of my hammock (the head end had the bugnet)

I’m lucky enough to live near Dutchware gear and stopped by to pick up my hammock when it was ready.  Dutch immediately gave me a tour of their operations, even though he was busy getting ready to head to Trail Days in Virginia.  He’s got some amazing stuff in the pipeline and is moving to a much larger facility to be able to crank out the volume.  Stay tuned and check his website often.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools