Topic

Durability of NB Leadville and La Sportiva Ultra Raptor?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Durability of NB Leadville and La Sportiva Ultra Raptor?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

<div>Short version:  How many miles did your Leadvilles or Ultra Raptors last?</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Long version:
    <div>I’ve been using Montrail Hardrock and Montrail AT Plus since 2008.  I bought 15 pairs in 2009 at closeout prices.  I’ve only got one pair left.  I’m searching for a new model that will work for me.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>In addition to the things most people consider, I need a shoe that does not trap dry seeds.  Hiking in northern California in the summer involves wading through miles of tall dry grass, and the seeds relentlessly penetrate shoes if the weave of the upper is not tight enough.  In addition to a tight weave, the tongue needs to be fully attached to the upper or seeds get inside.  This requirement ruled out many of the models currently popular with long distance hikers like the Nike Wildhorse, Brooks Cascadia, Saucony Peregrine, and the Altra Lone Peak.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>After much time in shoe stores and internet shopping I have found two models that fit me well and have what I hope is a tight enough weave (not as good as the Montrails, but better than most):  NB Leadville and La Sportiva Ultra Raptor.  I’ve spent the last week walking around town wearing one of each, and they are equally OK in terms of fit.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Our usual hikes are in the 400-800 mile range and the Montrails have always held up for the duration.  This summer we will hike the 500 mile Colorado Trail and I’d like the shoes to last for the whole hike.  I’m trying to decide between the Leadville and the Ultra Raptors.  Thus my simple question – how many miles before your Leadvilles or Ultra Raptors broke down?</div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Thanks for your help, Amy</div>

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Miles? Haven’t a clue. But the Leadvilles are very nice and long lasting. We have reviewed them.

Cheers

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

I really like the Ultra-Raptos, (I’m in my third pair).  They provide great traction / are very “grippy”.  How long they last? I haven’t kept a log but I’m guessing around 400 miles…. maybe less.  I guess it depends what kind of terrain you use them on and how heavy you are?.  I normally hike in California Sierra and I’m about 200 lbs.

I understand La Sportiva has a color scheme that correlates to the durability & grip of the different models.  Here is a summary, it is in spanish, but shouldn’t be too difficult to translate.  In my last pair I remember there was a small booklet in english explaining their “Frixion Sole” color scheme, If you have an REI store nearby you may be able to check it out (I know they carry the Ultra Raptor)

Ultra Raptors use Frixion Green.  If you need more durability (at the expense of grip) you may want to try the Wildcat 3 which uses Frixion Blue  (Not sure how they compare in fit though, but I think they also have them at REI so you can easily compare them).

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I use Ultra Raptors.   My experience has been similar to Mario.  Extremely good traction, poor durability.  If we use “moderate trails in the Sierras” as a benchmark for terrain type, I’d estimate ~250 miles will wear off half the tread, still usable with deteriorating traction to ~350 miles.   No issues other than the sole, though – the uppers are robust, good rock plate and toe protection.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nothing real special about the Leadvilles. 300 miles was avg. for me. The Vibram soles were nothing special. Just another pair of sneakers.

Alas La Sportiva makes no 15s.

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

Agree with Ralph on the Ultra Raptors.  Superb traction but I do wish they lasted longer.  Mine went around 300 miles.  The uppers were great along with the rock plate and toe guard.  I would buy them again if I could get them for the same discount I bought them originally on STP.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

When on Sierra Nevada type granite, the Ultra Raptors are very grippie, but you’ll start ripping off entire nubs in the first 10 miles.  I think the estimate of 300 miles of others is about what I expect to get out of them on rocky surfaces (and that’s when I want to be wearing them).

Wish my wife liked the fit, as she’s always freaking me out by slipping on narrow cliff side trails in her somewhat more durable Salomon X-Ultra. Or maybe she just slips for other reasons, I’ve never tried the shoe.

By the way, the Ultra Raptor do pick up “dry seeds”, but not nearly as many as the La Sportiva Wildcats. The Ultra Raptors also dry out a little quicker.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for all the info, it’s all helpful.  (And Roger – your reviews helped me decide to test drive the Leadvilles).  Given that my Montrails survived the 800 mile AZ Trail hike, which includes a fair bit of limestone and lots of rocky trail, I’ll be awfully disappointed to find myself using shoes that only last 300.  The idea of having to switch to a new pair of shoes every two weeks just seems wrong.

I’m still eager to get more data points from others who have used either model on long hikes.  Thanks.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Amy, what make you search for something other than the Montrails that were working well for you?

If it is rock protection Montrail released some new models with more protection in the mid sole.

Again, don’t know the specifics, but perhaps worth looking into.

(The Salomons X Ultra that were mentioned will definitely hold on for that mileage.

I think their Wings Pro 2’s as well. Both are a more normal to narrow fit. )

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

You may also want to check out the La Sportiva TX3s which are new for 2016.

Here’s some discussion on another BPL thread about the TX2 and TX3:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/la-sportiva-tx-3-approach-shoes-comparison/

YMMV on the durability; I just got a pair with the 20% discount from REI. Will
    know more in a few months.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I would buy them again if I could get them for the same discount I bought them originally on STP.

Ha, snap!  I picked up maybe 6 pairs when the old grey/red color went discontinued and showed up on STP, something like $60 each as I recall?   They didn’t seem to last long…

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I’m currently using the Leadville v2 shoes that are starting to be hard to find since they are going to v3.

Comfortable for all day hiking; even on asphalt road walking (had to do 60miles out of 205) on a recent trip.  Pointy grass seeds love the laces; more so than any other laces I’ve used. Got several through the front top mesh though most stay out.  Spent 20 minutes removing all of them from a 200 mile trip.  Still think I missed some in the laces.  After ~300 miles (including the road walking), the tread under the ball of the foot has almost worn flat.  Still good elsewhere.  Tear on side where shoe flexes, though I did go through some significant bushwhacking.

I’d buy them again assuming the new model was equivalent assuming I saw them on sale. But I think they’d be in poor shape after 500 miles.

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

Ha!  I think I got my identical grey/red Raptors at the same time.  Regretfully, I only picked up two pair.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I am trying out both the Wildcats and the TX3’s this summer. The TX3’s feature Vibram rubber soles, I don’t know if they will hold up better than the other Sportiva brand soles. They also have only an 8mm drop, as opposed to the 12 mm for Wildcats and Raptors, which I had to compensate for by a small shim under the heel. I am beginning to wonder if either the Wildcat 3 or Raptor would be a better choice for me; the Wildcat 3 does not have the rubber over the toes that I have found a problem with the Wildcat on steep descents, and the Raptor has a rock plate. When I find out, I will most likely buy a few pairs, but 15 pairs may not be in the budget this year!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools