Topic

Duplex floor flopping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Duplex floor flopping

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Wasn’t sure what to put in the title. Just got a duplex and never noticed in all the videos that the floor does not attach to the trekking poles.

My notch has small velcro tabs that wrap around poles to keep the floor from moving around. I think it would solve rain falling in as well if you lay to close to the edge of the floor. Anyone have problems in the field?

P.S. plllluuuueeeeezze someone tell me how to get rid of that annoying blue and white speak bubble!!! IT’S DRIVING ME CRAY ESPECIALLY ON MOBILE!!!!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The bubble is omnipresent. Terrible location.  You could easily add a tie if you wanted one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t remember my Duplex’s floor flopping at all. Maybe pitch it a little higher?

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I pitched at 44 inches since everyone on internet seems to suggest that is the proper height as opposed to the height of 48 mentioned by zpacks. Maybe it won’t be so bad once all our gear is on it.

As for easily adding a tie, I must be dense because I’m don’t know how I would do that. Would one use glue or double sided tape?

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

The only problems with the bottom flopping around is if it’s really windy, your on a exposed ridge, and you have nothing in the tent.  Once a pad, sleeping pad, bear canister, rocks, etc get tossed in there’s no problem.  I’d recommend trying it out without mods, I’ll believe you’ll find it works out fine.

I put White Out on the white speak button, definitely an improvement! :)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Dont have duplex

On my hex twin, i use #64 rubber band from floor, around trek pole, to hold floor up in middle

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

A buddy’s Duplex also had a flappy floor – I remembering noticing it flop around in wind, but he never mentioned a problem with it and he loves his tent. Kenneth mentioned rocks – try carrying four thin plastic produce bags (very light weight), put a fist-sized or larger rock in each bag and roll up the excess bag around the rock for padding, then put one bag at each of the four corners of the bathtub floor. These bags work well for wet shoes too, though they don’t last long if abused.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks everyone for the info!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Maybe you could use a 2.5” stick on loop and some shock cord or Velcro to attach the bathtub to your trekking poles.

Available here

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I was just thinking the same thing @matthewkphx! I’ve never had problems with mine blowing around – especially with me in it. :)

Maybe you could use a 2.5” stick on loop and some shock cord or Velcro to attach the bathtub to your trekking poles.

Available here

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I’m in Canada so would need to wait for a bigger order. Good to know it’s all in my head though.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m guessing someone here could order them for you and then drop them into a first class envelope.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools