Topic

Dogs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Dogs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Show us your dog(s).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is “Spotty” . No spots….Libby named him when she was 7. He is now 14, deaf, both eyes are white with cataracts, he is full of tumors  among other things. He still smiles and wobbles around happily without much pain. He’s always had a guilty look and demeanor except when out on the trail with me or in the water. I don’t think I would have explored the mountains around me as much as I have without this old boy by my side. These pictures are a couple of years old but a better representation of who he is at heart. I have hundreds of shots of him on trail camera, following me everywhere.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I could go on, he’s so cute…  except when he bites, he does that when he isn’t getting his way…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We rescued a heeler/beagle mix a few months ago. She’s been car camping a couple times but hasn’t been backpacking yet.

I think she likes the Duomid. :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Spotty looks like a great dog, Kat.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Awesome dog Jerry!

Matthew that looks like a fun and beautiful little dog!

I have lots more coming here. We are a dog family. I have not been without a dog for more than two years in my 49 years of being around.

Uploading more..

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is reluctant Spotty with big eared puppy Zaya, Libby’s dog. She is smart as a whip.

I had advised against getting a puppy right after Libby moved out but what is one to do…they have to learn. She loves her dog. Zaya has both made life more difficult and added a lot of love and joy to Libby’s life.

Zaya is a small sheppard.

Of course Libby’s  boyfriend is a dog person too and has a hound, Andy. Two “kids” with their two dogs. Mischief in the making there.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Here is Lucy

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

I can get on board with this! Here’s all three together. They all go car camping and hiking, however only the cattle dog joins in on backpacking (Pitbull is old, 12 yrs, and doesn’t like high miles. Pomeranian is too slow lol)

Here’s Frankee the cattle dog doing San Luis Peak with me.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Lucy is technically Chris’s dog, but I get to love her too.

Chris had her mom Zoe, on our left here, sitting down, next to her other daughter Bailey. So Bailey and Lucy are sisters.

Zoe is a pure Australian sheppard. Chris had Zoe’s mom Shorty. Shorty started this legacy . I will find pictures of her too. She was a red tri. She died five years ago.

Zoe had her puppies with Emmet, a good friend’s awesome/incredible dog…on purpose. Emmet is 1/2 Aussie and 1/2 Border Collie.

Zoe is 11 now and is Chris’ son’s best buddy.

More about Bailey in a second.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Kat- looks like a wise old owl! And a great juxtaposition in the photo with your daughter’s pup. When I first started dating my wife, she had the pitbull, and I the cattle dog. It was the icebreaker that got us talking as neighbors at the time.

Lucy is a real looker also, love the slow mo :)

Matt- Love any cattle mix! You must have your hands full, as beagles and blue healers can be a pain at times :) Great looking dog.

Jerry- Weird dog, never seen that breed before ;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@ Marcus that is an interesting mix. I love dogs period but cattle dogs are some of my favorites. They look like a happy bunch! I am impressed that you got all 3 to sit for the picture.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Here are Lucy and sister Bailey. They are very different dogs.

Bailey is Chris’ daughter Kylie’s dog .

But even more so Bailey is Kylie’s daughter Haylee’s dog :)

Yes we are constanly calling Haylee ….Bailey and Bailey…Haylee.

Haylee is five and the biggest little dog lover so this legacy is not over yet.

To recap ;)

Spotty is my old buddy and he was friends with the first of the Aussie’s named Shorty. I also had Spotty’s brother, Lumpy, but he died in his sleep as a puppy. He was vaccinated and healthy and we just don’t know what happened. We got them at the dog shelter in Oakland and they were next in line to be put down since they had some pit bull and the shelter was full.

Shorty had a beautiful litter of five. Four got great homes ( we still keep in touch) and the spunkiest one we kept, Zoe.

Zoe had a small litter with the coolest Aussie/ Border mix Emmet  and we kept Lucy and Bailey. These three are all wonderful and healthy dogs and all in the family. Emmet still lives in the redwoods and gets to be with his best friend 24/7.

Zaya is my daughter’s the little German sheppard, now best friends with hound Andy.

I told you we are a dog family :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Handsome cattledog, Marcus!

My friend has a cattledog that is such a good hiker. She’s very good about staying right with us. Mine seems to be a little more prone to wandering although she’s got good recall. Anyhow, check out this lovely lady:

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

I definitely get some weird looks on walks with my motley crew. They usually worry when they see Remmington (the pit), but then they see Willie (the Pom) and relax a bit.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Matt- That is a great looking dog as well! My cattle pup is great about staying with me on hikes also.

I imagine your dog’s wandering habit is the Beagle shining through. Follows the nose…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yep, this only reinforced my love for cattle dogs. What a beauty Matt. Working dogs just seem to have that inner drive, that energy that if given a good outlet makes them really wonderful buddies.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I used to have a beagle and this dog (Sumi is her name, btw) does not seem nose driven. Her head is up and she looks off in the distance. I think it’s more that she is strong and confident and just wants to look around. I’m slightly concerned about her chasing other animals. She’s extremely interested in the neighborhood cats. I don’t think she wants to kill them but she really wants to get close to one…

@kat
    Bailey ?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ok last one for now, I promise.

Six girls here. From our left to right:

Libby holding Lucy, Zoe ( in a choke hold…) next to Kylie. Haylee on her mom’s lap and last is Bailey trying to get away.

What was that song…” children and dogs and watermelon wine”.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Image 2-25-17 at 21.37

Hayduke Trail. This is Skotti, he’s 3, maybe. Shelter people didn’t know how old, as he was found injured in a lonely spot. Never leaves a 200′ radius around me when in the backcountry. Loves people, avoids other dogs like the plague. Easily the best dog in a long life of dogs. We think he’s a McNab.

IMG_2414

Utah backcountry skiing

IMG_2290

Mt Baldy, Los Angeles

Image 8-12-16 at 14.15

Sawtooth high route

Wind River High Route

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

A friend’s pooch, but I do like this photo.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

Tully (a Tibetan Terrier rescue) fatbiking in March (no matter how fast I go, her nose is on my back tire):

Skiing in April

And, trying to make a friend last August:

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Hank is gone now (but not forgotten).  Gawwwd, what a character he was!  Stubborn, opinionated, selfish, loving, patient, and ultimately a “good boy”, any way you slice it.  I wish they lived longer.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

My babies. Chance, in front, and Casey in back. Never did backpack with them because, much like their father, they just weren’t all that trained. Still miss them terribly.

Mark V.
    BPL Member

@room210

Locale: Northern California

Here is Gaston

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools