Topic

Do you use a walking foot when sewing silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Do you use a walking foot when sewing silnylon?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Sometimes no matter how precisely I cut and fold silnylon , I often can’t get the seams to sew even. I end up with waves and not a professional look. I use a 70/10 needle and Gutterman Tera 60 thread. Not too much tension. .

Thoughts please

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I meant to say Tera 80 thread in the OP (typo),

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nope, never use it for two layers of sil. But, with mesh between, I do. Ironing doesn’t work all that well. I find that a third seam just to tack the fabric together helps when rolling it (flat seams.) It gets buried inside when rolling so it doesn’t show, but it adds a slight bit of weight. Hems and center seams all get rolled. Reinforcement patches get folded over once, then stitched, BEFORE sewing them on. Everything gets a coat of silicone caulk/mineral spirits (around 20-30:1) when it is set up for the first time. For packs, I load them heavily with news paper before coating. Waterproof tarps are a must, but the packs often leak anyway. Even with DCF/cuben they leak a bit. I often make a few rock sacks out of scraps, these I don’t bother coating, they get pretty chewed up.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe put a little tension on the fabric.  Pull the fabric coming out of the machine.  Pull back a little the fabric going into the machine.  If you pull too much it will shorten or lengthen the stitch length, you don’t want to do that.  Or break the needle.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Walking feet on Ebay are fairly inexpensive, they help somewhat.  I still pull from both sides and try not to cause the stitch length to vary (alas it always does, sigh…).  I’ve read that a teflon foot helps.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Roger C recommended a roller foot but on my machine it didn’t help a lot.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Roller foot plus lots of pins plus tension.
    Works just fine for me and all my gear.

Cheers

Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Yeah, material slippage has come up before in various threads.  There was some good discussion and techniques in a thread I started a while ago:

Industrial Needle Feed Sewing Machine

That would be the ultimate tool for eliminating slippage, but pricey and cumbersome.  Quite a few other tricks were shared by others though.  Oh, and the Mara 80 (70?) is probably a fair amount too big for the 70/10 needle.  Maybe try the 120.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

I’ve experimented with some old industrial needle feed machines with sil and other light nylon – it doesn’t necessarily solve all problems (I’ve repaired some broken machines I found on craigslist).  In some cases, depending on how the machine is setup it’s even more problematic than a lightweight drop feed machine.  I’ve come to the conclusion that most factories use pullers to feed lightweight material – basically a motorized wheel at the back of the machine that keeps pace with the front feeding mechanisms.

Your best bet is using one hand to feed the material from behind the needle and one in front, keeping it taut and doing your best to work with the feed dogs and not against them.  It takes some practice.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Not even silnylon but unproofed UL nylon for the inner tent – but tensioned and with roller foot. Also works well to avoid puckering.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Hmmm…  rollerfoot… my machine came with some little doodads that I never understood, maybe one of them is a rollerfoot?  I’ll have to go find them…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jerry

The roller foot is what I use 90% of the time. Worth having.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If I don’t have one I could buy one, thanks

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

My beloved wifes new Pfaff works well without any additional foot etc but I am not, NOT,  allowed to use it and I can’t afford to buy one

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Craig B, thanks for the reply. however I’m not sure you’re aware of Guterman Tera 80. It’s considerably thinner than the Mara 70, yet very strong. I love it. It even fits into a 60/8 needle (that I use for 7d silnylon).

I’m going to purchase a walking foot for my Janome My Style 100 machine. It cost $50. I’m just having too much trouble getting French felled seams to look right. I’ll ask about a rolling foot when I get to the Janome store. Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I ordered this https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/roller-foot-janome-new-home-singer-p60499.aspx

$20

don’t know if they’ll ship it efficiently or if it will work

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jerry

The roller foot looks OK, but it needs a special mounting attachment to hold it. The roller foot clips onto it. If you have this, fine, otherwise you will need to buy one. It seems that a lot of the more recent feet have transitioned to this industry-standard attachment.

Ha – that Janome foot also fits the Elna machines, like mine. :)

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools