Topic

Do you send back pads that arrive with a leak?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you send back pads that arrive with a leak?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I received an inflatable pad today for our trip tomorrow morning. We inflated it to test, felt nice, left it a few minutes and one side is flat. Found a small 1/2″ slit. We are planning on exchanging it, but would you? Or just patch and keep it? Are patches durable long term? Is it picky/whiney to patch the pad and return it anyway?

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Yes, I’d return a brand new pad that had a slit in it. As long as I wasn’t responsible for the leak, I wouldn’t feel bad one bit for returning it.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

In any country with decent consumer laws, a leaking pad would be unfit for purpose and you would have the legal and moral right to a full refund or free replacement.

But if you patch it and use it you might weaken your case – it would be easier for a supplier with poor customer service to argue that you caused the damage yourself. If you keep the pad unused, you should have an open and shut case.

If you really need to patch up the pad and use it for your trip, contact the supplier before you leave and get them to agree to replace it after you return.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This is what happens when you wait too long. You need the pad today. Take your lumps and fix it and live with it.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Good thing you tested it! I’ve seen a lot worse with my scouts!

I’d return it no matter what. It’s important for companies to know how to improve their QC. If I didn’t have any other pad options and was forced to use it, I’d patch it and let them know what you did when you get back.

If it’s a reputable retailer & manufacturer, it won’t be a problem whatsoever.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

You should return it.  QC issues happen; so do accidents when things get unboxed and slit by box openers.

Sounds like your immediate issue is that you need it for your trip.  You might have a tougher time returning the pad if you repair it and use it and then try to return it.  Have you contacted the vendor to establish that the pad arrived with a leak?   If you have to repair and use it,  a properly done repair ought to hold just fine.  Keep us posted.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I’m glad you posted your experience. I think it would better benefit the BPL community if you stated the brand and name of the pad for quality purposes. You don’t really want others to have the same problem as you did do you?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve only fixed pinholes

I wonder if fixing a 1/2″ slit is durable

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wouldn’t hesitate a second to return it. You pay  premium for good gear and it should work! I’ve always assumed that part of the expense of UL inflatable pads was “insurance” for the high return rate.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, I agree with Dale. Especially a slit, this is just sloppy handling. Send it back.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

It is an Exped Synmat Hyperlite Duo.

I photographed the leak and contacted Amazon and the seller (campsaver) ahead of time. The patch held up fine but turned out the other side also had a leak that was too slow to notice during testing. Will definitely exchange. I’ve heard good things about this model, so I’m hoping it was just a random bad one that slipped through QC or got damaged before shipping.

David C. Menges
    Spectator

@davidmenges

This is exactly what just happened to me, a Thermarest NeoAir XLite with a 1/2” slit, a clear manufacturing defect. I believe it got past QC because it would temporarily hold air in a certain position. Customer support immediately claimed I cut it while opening the package – but unpacking requires no knife, and the slit was hidden inside their factory tri-fold stuffing. Fortunately Moosejaw took care of it.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

It’s hard to cut a pad while opening the box without also cutting through the stuff sack.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools