Topic

Do you have a "Winter Backpack"

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Do you have a "Winter Backpack"

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Adam G said “the front pocket on the Divide is enormous.”

agreed- on my last trip I had my 40 Below overshoes, microspikes, small folding wood saw and a avy shovel, windshirt or active mid layer and there was still room

the bottle pocks are BIG too- easily swallows two 32 oz Nalgenes per side

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well I can say the Divide is definitely the best winter pack I have had the pleasure to use :)

recent ski trip into a Forest Service cabin, the beginning of the trip I had 8-ish lb skis on in addition to 35-ish lbs of pack (lots of heavy items- axe, saw, green propane bottle, 3 liters of water, couple of IPA’s!)  not uncomfortable at all

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

My dedicated winter pack is a McHale.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So if anyone wants my 7,500 cu. in. Dana Terraplane PLUS two side pockets I’ll part with it for a mere $50. It is a true “expedition” pack and very high quality and a nice forest green color.

Gotta say it is a very comfortable pack. Used it doing sections of the AT and all of Pennsylvania’s Susquehannock Trail System (STS) loop. The STS was actually more beautiful than the AT in Virginia and PA.

PM me if interested. For that price we split shipping.

BTW Mike, beautiful photo. Thanks

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eric- that pack will make someone very (very) happy and will last a lifetime and a little more :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I received the new style belt from Seek Outside (it came out literally days after I purchased my pack- just charged shipping on it)- much better, as in less futzy.  It’s a single buckle in the front vs two separate buckles, but you can still individually adjust the lower and upper portion of the belt

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Mike do you think the 73 L volume is total or with the pockets?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Jeff- It utilizes a roll top, so you can go pretty high up in the bag.  Looks like on their product page shows 3000 cu in with the bag rolled down to the top of the frame, 4500 rolled at its highest. I would say it’s pretty darn close if not spot on.

The front pocket (I always want to call it the rear!) is very roomy and not included in that volume, nor the two extremely roomy side pockets.  I have two of their XL hip belt pockets as well for stuff I want handy- much roomier than most hip belt pockets that I’ve used.

Mike

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Thanks mike!🤘

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Just got a divide. I’ve only ‘set it up in the yard’ but It is huge!  Way bigger than my cilo40b fully extended (and lighter too!)  I was worried that it wouldn’t be a big enough difference in volume than my cilo to make it worth it but as soon as I opened it and I looked into it I was smiling.

exactly what I wanted.

Divide

Zimmerbuilt zb40

cilogear 40B

seek outside divide 4500

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ a ton of additional room in those oversize water bottle pockets, as well as the stretch pocket

I also ordered two of their belt pockets- they are extremely roomy too :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I find it interesting that the popular Seek Outside packs have gone back to an external frame. When I started backpacking, all “serious” packs were externals, then in the ’80s internals became popular, mostly displacing the externals. And really, the only reason internals became popular is because in 1984 Colin Fletcher revealed he had replaced his beloved TrailWise external with a Gregory internal. The minions followed suit, and the fledging company made Wayne Gregory a millionaire.

Can’t say either is superior, unless doing technical work. I haven’t bought a new pack in over 8 years, and don’t plan to, so I don’t keep up with what with current offerings. The Seek Outside line looks to be well thought out, and aren’t the typical old Kelty design.

I have a 10 year old McHale LBP for heavier loads, which can expand to about 74L, which is all I need, even on winter snow trips. It works when I need to carry several gallons of water in the desert.

Years ago, when I was a young man, I circumnavigated Joshua Tree NP (then a national monument) without caching water, although I knew where a couple reliable springs were located. On that trip I used an ’80s model Kelty Serac Expedition, with a capacity of something like 115L. I still have and occasionally use this pack.

The frame, hipbelt, and harness on the Seek packs look much more sophisticated and functional. For around $400, it seems to be an attractive package. Of course, that pack will screw up someone’s spreadsheet :-)

I am down to two go-to packs. A smaller McHale Bump, and the LBP. They work for everything I want to do. Actually I am thrilled with both and there is nothing to entice me to look for something else.  Although occasionally I will use my Keltys; an early ’70s D4, a larger 70s Serac, and the ’80s Expedition. I mainly use these for nostalgia’s sake. Especially the D4, which I used on a couple 6-month trips in 1971 and 1972. I look at packs like cars. Just need to get from point A t0 point B.

My Kelty D4 weighs 3.5 lbs and the ’70s Serac weighs in at 4.9 lbs. The Seek Outside weighs how much? I would guess, depending on the material and optional pockets it is going to push 4 lbs.

My big McHale, with everything, to include the frame extension and by-pass harness weighs 4.6 lbs. The way I use it most of the time, it weighs around 4.25lbs. Keep in mind the pack material to include shoulder straps, belt, and pockets are made from woven Dyneema and Spectra. So I guess the bottom line of this rambling post, that when you need to carry heavier loads, you need pack where its form follows its function, and you’re gonna need a pack around 4lbs or so.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dale the SO Divide weighs just under 3 lbs, add two large hip belt pockets and you’re at 3 lbs and an of ounce or two

not too shabby for a pack that many folks have had loaded w/ 100+ lbs (not me :))

it’s also X pac which for all practical purposes gives you a waterproof pack

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Yeah the grey one is 2lbs 13oz and the green one is 2,15.
    the cost is $36o

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

How do you all fly with the Seek Outside Divide bags? carry on (does it fit?) or check in? if checked in – do you put them in a duffel bag?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

I just folded the pack around the frame and it measured about 25” x  14 x 5.
    So I would try to put it in a duffle. It should fit easily in a duffle as it folds up easily. Plus the airport is no place for straps (if you check it) so I always use a duffle unless I’m using it for carry-on. Which I wouldn’t for. (I don’t know exactly the sizes for carry-ons, but if I am bringing a bunch of gear I would just put it in a bag with the gear.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

Which one may I ask?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For a few nights, solo, in summer, I use a 40-liter pack and it’s got extra room.

In winter, I’m usually using an old Jam-70 for the added volume for warm clothes (and warmer bag).  The thing is, I’m wearing almost none of those clothes as I’m hiking, so they’re stuffed in the pack.  Also, the days are short and the nights long, so I’ve more time in camp, inactive and needing more insulation.

Some really fluffy stuff like an extra CCF pad (in addition to a self-inflator) can just get tied to the outside of any pack – it weighs so little, it doesn’t effect my balance.

For cold winter trips, or group trips, here’s THE basic, starter pulk.  Light.  $34.

Get one, get some experience with it.  Maybe you’ll get something else, someday, but it will remain a useful arrow in your winter quiver.

Pro-tip #1: use rigid poles between your waist belt and pulk.

Pro-tip #2: cross those poles in an X.  Life is better when you do.

Pro-tip #3: apply a Nordic-ski glide wax to the entire bottom of the sled in the comfort of your garage at home.  The road grit will then slide right off and if you get freeze/thaw conditions (like going into and out of the shade on a mild day), you’ll be really happy you did.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

pulk for the win :)

Timothy D B
    BPL Member

@tdb67

Locale: Idaho

My winter overnighter or for multiday trips is a Gregory Baltoro 75. I’ve only had it for three seasons, but I am very happy with it. It could be a bit lighter, but that is ‘splitting hairs’.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I use a Seek Outside Fortress 6,300 (breakway platform) which I love. The main bag alone is 6,300ci or 100L. Then add the Talon, top lid, and two belt pockets and you’re pushing 120L+.  It is a featherweight compared to my McHale.

For day hikes and overnight, I just got a SO Gila (integrated platform). It rides like a dream and is only 2lb 10oz.  I’ll be ordering a custom 4,800 bag in either X-21 XPac or the SpectraGridHT and will use it without a Talon so it will weigh 2lb 12oz. Swap out the Gila and 4,800 bags as needed.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Still rocking the Divide; I purchased one of their Merlin day packs which integrates into their packs like a Talon (can compress external  loads with it).  Kind of handy if your winter base (or outside of winter for that matter) camping and plan on some day hikes out of the camp.

I’ve also experimented with using my Divide for hunting as well- I didn’t get to test it with a really heavy load this year (got my elk out on a pulk), but did haul a couple of deer and antelope with it.  Handled those with no drama.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Mike how do you like that daypack for more typical daypack use?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Mike how do you like that daypack for more typical daypack use?

Actually pretty well.  It’s light- 12 oz, obviously no frame whatsoever, but with typical day hiking loads it’s comfortable.  I put a folded up ccf pad (my sit pad) where I think a bladder is supposed to go for a little rigidity on the back.  I added a waist belt to it using some of their 3/4″ webbing, quick release buckle and gate keepers- to prevent swinging when you’re rock scrambling.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools