Topic

Do moisture-wicking fabrics work?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Do moisture-wicking fabrics work?

Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

@Woubeir – I was on the same train of thought.  Then I began to think that it really is all about water transport mechanisms.  In the summers, I hike in the Sierras and many time I bring a cotton T-shirt ( I know, the death fabric).  At that time of year, temperatures are warm and the humidity is generally low.  Cotton does wick and the evaporation helps keep me cool.  That being said, backpacking in the tropics (IMO) is brutal.  The few times I have done it, I have been drenched in sweat and basically no evaporative cooling.  In both cases, the temperature have been above 75 F.  The greatest difference is how and when water is transported away from the skin.

I can image that in the Winter, a poorly set up layering system could generate high internal humidity (like the tropics).   I am looking forward to the next article.

Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!