Topic

DIY Remote Canister Windscreen for Giant Phimont Pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont DIY Remote Canister Windscreen for Giant Phimont Pots

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

What are you folks using for windscreens for remote canister stoves that are sized for the giant Philpots?  Layers of heavy duty aluminum foil?

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

You can find titanium foil on ebay or amazon but you will pay a lot for it.  Aluminum foil will work just fold it into several layer of thickness. You can buy an MSR windscreen from Amazon for 12 bucks.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

I did a quick look on amazon and there are several titanium windscreens and raw sheets you can fabricate your own.

Find one that is an inch or more taller than your stove and a few inches longer than the circumference of your pot, so it comes up and fully surrounds your pot bottom.

Air holes around the bottom edge (not the top) will help feed the flame at Philmont’s altitude.

We keep our windscreens wrapped around MSR 11oz. fuel bottles with large rubber bands so they don’t get fold creases and crumpled.

Be sure to also use properly fitted lid on your pot when boiling water. The two together will speed boil time and save fuel.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.” Moonshine

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The ones on Amazon are cheap enough.  I was just wondering if anyone has a favorite for the big pots.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

We cook in 8-quart pots with MSR Dragonfly stoves that have 5.25” x 31” aluminum windscreens (and round ground reflectors we don’t use). We punch ½” holes around the bottom edges. Replacement MRS windscreens are available.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@michael73

For ground reflectors were use an old license plate. For windscreens we really like this one I found on Amazon by Wealers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6UNBFM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I went by our troop shed today and dug through the old white gas stoves and found a foil windscreen.  It was a little short to go around an 8 quart pot.  I wonder if they took a smaller pot to Philmont last time.

Do we REALLY need 8 quart pots for 10 people or can we use 6 quart?

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

We easily get by with a 6-quart pot for 12 campers.

Most Philmont meal recipes call for 1½ to 2 cups of water per package for two campers. 2 cups per package times 6 packages equals 12 cups or 3 Nalgenes of water plus the food.

3-quarts of boiling water in a 6-quart pot is deep enough to sanitize your bowls and spoons.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks, David.  I’m going to go through our shed.  I’m sure we have two 6 quart pots.

We’re using Fozzils Bowls as crew gear.  They might need to be snapped together before being dipped in the pot in order to fit.

My wife looked at the 8 quart one I brought from the shed today and she asked incredulously, “You aren’t using THAT for backpacking, are you?”  :)

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

Go to the Dollar store and get an aluminum over liner pan and cut it to the size you need. Heavier than foil.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools