Topic

DIY Pot stand concept

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Pot stand concept

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

So, I saw a Ti-pot stand posted by Robert and I thought that it was an interesting idea. At 5,000 yen + tax (>$45 USD) it seemed absurdly expensive. I like the idea but don’t really like tripods as they are not that stable.

For grins, I decided to make a stainless steel version with scrap that I had around the house. So this version is made using 0.012” stainless steel and cut about ¼” wide. The pot to ground distance is 1 ¾” and the pot stand is ~3” in diameter. It weighs 8 grams and can hold 10 pounds. The folds are spot welded and when wrapped the pot stand has a slight curve to it.  It’s possible to get the weight down further by playing with the width and material thickness.  This is probably a pretty good DIY project.

Best regards.

Yes, those are two 5 lb weights.  I could have probably add more weight but what’s the point.  As folded and joined, the legs have a natural curve to them in the unloaded state.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Jon—That’s purty! I guess it’s non-collapsible, right? Can to be stored in your pot, I suppose.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bravo!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very, very clever!

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like how you adapted the idea to easier technique and materials

If you did it in aluminum it would weigh less.  Or Titanium.  Can you bend Titanium like that?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

You MIGHT succeed in bending thin-gauge CP Ti like that – maybe. You will NOT succeed with most alloys: they will crack. You could bend it hot of course, but heat will make most of the alloys hard/brittle. Not sure what heat would do to CP.

Al – it would need to be at least 1mm thick to handle the load at high temp. You will not succeed with a 7000-series alloy; you might succeed with a 6000-series, 5000-series should work (I think), and the softer you go the better the chances. Could be worth the experiment though. Very low $.

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I had 0.012″ stainless that I pulled out of the trash to make the sample.  I do have some 0.005″ CP Grade 2 Titanium around, but I thought I would make the SS one just to see how well it worked.  I don’t use pot stands so it has no real interest to me other than to see if you could DIY and alternative to a $45 Titanium version.  I am not going to make anymore as it did what I wanted it to do.  Other people are free to keep evolving this idea if they wish.  Best regards.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Oh go on: give it a go!

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

0.005″ CP Grade 2 Titanium pot stand came in at 4 grams.  The struts are about 1/2″ wide.  It will not hold 10 pounds but will hold 2 cups of water.  A little flimsy for my taste, I would go with SS or increase the titanium thickness to at least 0.008″   Best regards

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

That’s awesome!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools