Topic

DIY Large Aluminum Bucksaw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Large Aluminum Bucksaw

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Hello,

Getting excited for winter fires? Here is a bucksaw to cut rounds with, made from the bent angle sections of a crutch, with 1/2 barstock fitted into slots cut to fit on the tubing .  It uses a 21″ blade with keyrings fitted on either end which lock the blade in when it is slid into slits at the end of the crutch tubes.

Total weight is 7oz 24grams without bag or blade sheath, about $12 cost

This model is mainly used for pruning and great for carpentry due to the perfect cuts achieved by the balance produced by the size.

A 4-5oz 11″blade trail model is in the works soon! Enjoy

The idea is unoriginal and a youtube video is online for more diy details

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Nice saw!  How is the stability?

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

A notch away from perfect, the flatbar will bend if I over twist the string, but I find if I direct the bend against the way that the tension pin wants to spin, it counters the flatbar from over bowing. Tubing in the cross bar would be better, but more complex to mount maybe, and heavier?  Still dreaming on a design there for the packsaw version.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The adjustable bottom portion of a crutch is a thicker, stiffer extrusion that the long tubular sections.  I suspect it would be stiffer and possible lighter than the flat you’re using now.  Do you have a length and weight on the flat bar.  I’ll check length and weight on my suggested bit.

I keep a few crutches around at all times for raw materials.  Usually, I can’t buy a pair at Salvation Army because if I come up to the counter with a pair or two, both they give them to me and encourage me to take more if I want, because they are always piling up.

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Hey I did a quick weight in for you. 16.5″ flatbar was 2.4oz and one 17″ aluminum tube with the paracord dangling that I currently have tied in is 2.7oz

Holes could be drilled in tubing with lesser degradation to structure to cut some weight. Got pictures but they load in upsidedown.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools